I'm going to buy a record player................... (3 Viewers)

hope photos above are viewable.
note on the back of the amplifier photo : on the top row the plastic bungs are still in the speaker terminals. on the bottom row I've removed them

I had a look at your speakers on Amazon and they have these banana plugs listed as "frequently bought together" Amazon product ASIN B00169BIF0Which I would think might be a reliable recommendation there is ton of comments on there as well.

i just remembered what my Onkyo problem was - the red & black ends on the speaker posts had the banana plug hole(?) blocked with a little plastic cap.

Anyway there are loads of banana plug installation videos on the youtubes so check there.

The speaker cable looks like a straightforward 4mm jack. Is it the same at both ends of the speaker cable? And is the problem that they're too big to go into the amplifier sockets?

I've never used banana plugs actually I need to change my own connections I pick up all sorts of interference like power tools or static from the neighbours robotic lawnmower.

Yeah actually it might not be grounded the wire from the amp to the speakers are two separate bits that are twisted and stuck together with some cello tape. One part of it is originally for connecting a camera to a tv. I keep putting off getting a proper cable for some reason.

thanks for everyone who who offered me suggestions. but guess what Pete was right !
if you keep shoving the Banana plugs they will go in. sorry for wasting peoples time.
at their widest point they don't seem to want to go in any further put once you get over the hump they slide in nicely. so it was that simple. and they fit the speakers too
Onkyo is part of Pioneer so the set up is probably similar to Pete's amp.

there is still some distortion when records are playing but i set it up beside a laptop,TV and Sky box so maybe that's a problem.
I don't know anything about grounding.

anyhow cheers to y'all.

Yeah, grounding probably won't fix distortion. Normally grounding will solve things like it picking up radio signals or mains noise. Distortion is likely to be something else.

turntable sounds fine through my old stereo but distorted through the new set up.
i bought a new stylus this month and both the new stylus and old one sound good through the old set up.
if it's something's wrong i'd say it's the amp.
anyone could have told me i hadn't plugs in properly but i didn't ask for second opinion.
so i'll ask someone else to look at it as i haven't done that yet.

thanks anyway.

turntable sounds fine through my old stereo but distorted through the new set up.
i bought a new stylus this month and both the new stylus and old one sound good through the old set up.
if it's something's wrong i'd say it's the amp.
anyone could have told me i hadn't plugs in properly but i didn't ask for second opinion.
so i'll ask someone else to look at it as i haven't done that yet.

thanks anyway.
Out of interest, what's the record player? Did the old system have a dedicated Phono input or does your player have a pre-amp in it (which means it can connect to a regular Aux input)? Does the new amp have a Phono input?

yeah - the symptoms sound like that but the record player does have a pre-amp
and the amplifier has a phono input.
a few years ago i asked on this thread for advice and made sure i got something
with a pre-amp after being told what that was.
the turntable is an Audio Technica AT-LP120 it's a copy of the Technics SL 1200.
maybe the pre-amp isn't much good in these ?

but fifteen minutes later...
Well i googled if the turntable pre-amp was any good and could an external one be used.
so i found out a switch on the back of the turntable labeled PHONO turns on/off the
pre-amp...
and voila ! everything sounds very good now - problem solved. simple as that.

i suppose the situation was :
there was a pre-.amp in my old stereo so this never was turned on before.
also a second older turntable also sounded crap with new amp as it
doesn't have a pre-amp.
if both sounded bad i figured the problem was elsewhere.

if i had asked some else to look at this a second head would have sorted both my problems in twenty minutes but i tried to do all on my own...

special thanks to Coru Ammonis and also thanks to Pete, Hydromancer and Shaney
for helping me get to this point - Y'all are (record) players.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back