I'm going to buy a record player................... (3 Viewers)

surely that would lead to all sorts of copyright issues?
not sure how it works tbh

I was at the Cate le Bon gig a couple of months ago and bought a copy of her latest album on vinyl. When I brought it home and played it, side A had a 10,000 Maniacs album recorded on it (side B was Cate le Bon).

I sent a tweet to both Cate le Bon and to her label, Drag City to let them know. Both ignored the tweet but someone else (Turnstile records) got in touch saying that they printed the record (and that 35 of them were 'bad'). They sent me out a new copy - very sound of them.

Anyway, the point is that I have no clue how Turnstile were able to print the run of records that she was selling at her gigs, whereas the copies in the shop were Drag City (the turnstile ones had no mention of DC).,

Maybe that story isn't relevant but it came to mind just now.

i asked for advice here in 2015 and ended up getting an Audio Technica 120 thingy. a copy of the standard Technics turn table it costs less than 300 and has a pre amp which I needed .
for some reason there is a metal plate in the base which is nearly half the weight of the thing (it's heavy - about 11 kg !)
so far i'm very happy.
was pleasantly surprised how easy it is to get a turntable now, with plenty of options at all price ranges. it used to be a nightmare looking for them 15 years back. even shops are full of record players again now - what a turnaround.

What am I doing wrong? I have a Numark record player, decent Marantz amp and lovely JPW speakers. I changed the needle a while ago but it probably has less than 20hrs play time on it. The records still sound crap, even new ones.

What am I doing wrong? I have a Numark record player, decent Marantz amp and lovely JPW speakers. I changed the needle a while ago but it probably has less than 20hrs play time on it. The records still sound crap, even new ones.

define 'crap'? All crackly and lots of hissing? Or are they coming through really low?

I had that a while back with my setup. I changed the cables and its grand now.

Numark TT-1700
Stanton 500 Cartridge
New needle.

TBH I'm not that bothered but if there's something that could be fixed it'd be nice to have it done.

Well, if the problem is you have to really ramp up the volume and there's a bit of hum or anything, it's probably that you need a phono stage pre-amp. Most amps made in the 2000's have assumed record players are a thing of the past, so weren't designed to accomodate them.

Is it a phono input or aux in?

Ask on the AV forum, it's worth it to get sorted.

It's a 90s amp, proper phono input with ground. I noticed the connectors at the back of the cartridge are a bit loose and prone to falling off. I'll fix that.

It doesn't appear to have phono inputs - it might not work unless your record player outputs the correct levels. I have an old phono booster thing you can have if you want or need it, it's another box thing that you need to plug in and run wires in and out of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back