I'm going to buy a record player................... (1 Viewer)

yeah - the symptoms sound like that but the record player does have a pre-amp
and the amplifier has a phono input.
a few years ago i asked on this thread for advice and made sure i got something
with a pre-amp after being told what that was.
the turntable is an Audio Technica AT-LP120 it's a copy of the Technics SL 1200.
maybe the pre-amp isn't much good in these ?

but fifteen minutes later...
Well i googled if the turntable pre-amp was any good and could an external one be used.
so i found out a switch on the back of the turntable labeled PHONO turns on/off the
pre-amp...
and voila ! everything sounds very good now - problem solved. simple as that.

i suppose the situation was :
there was a pre-.amp in my old stereo so this never was turned on before.
also a second older turntable also sounded crap with new amp as it
doesn't have a pre-amp.
if both sounded bad i figured the problem was elsewhere.

if i had asked some else to look at this a second head would have sorted both my problems in twenty minutes but i tried to do all on my own...

special thanks to Coru Ammonis and also thanks to Pete, Hydromancer and Shaney
for helping me get to this point - Y'all are (record) players.

listening party round nuke's gaff listening to steely dan vinyls

You would have to imagine, plastic garbage.

My all-in-one Teac MC-D800 went back to the shop with the record player speed being too fast. Unfixable, so I got store credit and went the separates route last weekend. My new turntable cost the same as the previous entire Hi-Fi. So the whole thing cost a fucking fortune, but at least it's done now.

You would have to imagine, plastic garbage.

My all-in-one Teac MC-D800 went back to the shop with the record player speed being too fast. Unfixable, so I got store credit and went the separates route last weekend. My new turntable cost the same as the previous entire Hi-Fi. So the whole thing cost a fucking fortune, but at least it's done now.
whatcha get?

I've a rega rp1 turntable
a denon something pre-amp
and big fuck-off speakers by someone fancy.
Got a cheapo tuner from richer sounds in belfast but it's perfect
and plugged in an old Sony CD player.
It takes up a fair whack of space but I love it.

I think I'm done with the cassette revival. I never listen to any of the tapes I bought in the lat few years, I upload the accompanying free downloads to Google Music and stream them from there instead

I recently gave away/threw out all my cassettes. The tape deck on my hi-fi had broken ages ago. The hi-fi has also since been binned. It lasted nearly 18 years so I'm not complaining. I have a cheap USB turntable that does the job but plays 7"s a little too fast. I'm either looking for a combo or a cd player + amp that I can connect to the turntable. Some mad prices out there.

whatcha get?

I've a rega rp1 turntable
a denon something pre-amp
and big fuck-off speakers by someone fancy.
Got a cheapo tuner from richer sounds in belfast but it's perfect
and plugged in an old Sony CD player.
It takes up a fair whack of space but I love it.
I did all my shopping in richer, so it was a case of what they had and what I could afford.

Got a Teac TN-300 turntable.
A Yamaha R-S202 receiver. This is way bigger than it looked on the website. It was the only one with Bluetooth and FM in my price range.
And I got the cheapest CD player they had, which wasn't that cheap. A Cambridge Audio CD5.
Had two small Teac speakers left over from the original hi-fi, which are doing a nice job.

The whole kit is massive. Thankfully I had the old TV stand left over from the move from the apartment. Looks swish.

Every thing I have is second hand from adverts. An amp for 20 quid speakers which are actually for a car in some old speaker box's and a Stanton turntable which is an American dj type table it weighs a ton and will last forever I think.
Of course I'd like to change most of that which I might try to do a bit at a time not to mention get a cd player and a tape deck although I'm a little reluctant about tapes since probably I've had enough of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back