I'm going to buy a record player................... (1 Viewer)

Thread starter #1

prefuse

Threads
I haven't been listening to vinyl for a long time but I'm looking to buy a decent quality & reasonably priced turntable. Recommendations please.

Threads
Website
www.youtube.com
The one here for €179 here is apparently very good. I wouldn't bother with any of those crappy USB ones you get in Maplin etc. Otherwise adverts.ie can be good for the odd 2nd hand bargain. That's where I got mine.

lemonbravo

Threads
Website
www.analogheart.net
On a related note (sorry for the thread hijack), I was going to pick up one of these amplifiers - for to go with a pro-ject turntable, like

http://www.whathifi.com/Review/Yamaha-A-S500/

Any use? Or any similarly priced alternatives?

Cheers
Don't know much about current hifi amps.
I like old Adcom amps, you can pick up a used 535 on ebay for less than €200 and they sound really really good.

Benny Cake

Threads
Thread starter #8

prefuse

Threads
I got one. Not the most expensive, a stage line DJP 104USB. It has the USB connection but I'm using the stereo phono into the stereo and four speakers in the room. I haven't really listened to vinyl in over 10 years so I bought two of my favourite albums, Steely Dan - Aja (back to black 180g) & Joni Mitchell - The Hissing of summer lawns (speaker's corner 180g). Both sound really good. After reading so much pro vinyl stuff on line I was expecting to be blown away, disown my CD's, but I wasn't.
I'll still be buying CD's primarily and the odd bit of vinyl ( I have a small list)

east hastings

Threads
I've a turntable that i dont use very often i could give you for €50. I bought the pair for €100, it has one of those RCA style outputs. Its like this except cleaner and has a cover:

Moderator #12

Shaney?

Supporter
Threads
I got one. Not the most expensive, a stage line DJP 104USB. It has the USB connection but I'm using the stereo phono into the stereo and four speakers in the room. I haven't really listened to vinyl in over 10 years so I bought two of my favourite albums, Steely Dan - Aja (back to black 180g) & Joni Mitchell - The Hissing of summer lawns (speaker's corner 180g). Both sound really good. After reading so much pro vinyl stuff on line I was expecting to be blown away, disown my CD's, but I wasn't.
I'll still be buying CD's primarily and the odd bit of vinyl ( I have a small list)
Did you get a copy of Hissing with the embossed sleeve?

I recently bought the Dark Side of the Moon vinyl reissue and the 20th anniversary cd definitely sounds better on my set up. Most albums I have on vinyl i dont have on cd too so i wont have to do too many of these comparisons. i have a decent enough project turntable and decent enough speakers.

Benny Cake

Threads
With the greatest respect, you get what you pay for. You're not going to have your mind blown with a 120 euro turntable.

sleepy

Threads
Website
www.facebook.com
I'm going to hi jack this thread. I'm half thinking of taking the plunge and buying a vinyls player for playing vinyls. Can any of ye recommend a decent player for less than €200?

(Yes, I'm aware I said vinyls. Twice. And that it's an appaling word.)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create a thumped.com account. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... if we have any.

Upgrade now

Buy me a coffeeBuy me a coffee

Latest posts

Latest threads