Film chat (2 Viewers)

Anyone seen this?
Furious Cinema '70 - '77 - Harvard Film Archive

Dark Star
Directed by John Carpenter. With Dan O’Bannon, Brian Narelle,
Cal Kuniholm
US 1975, 35mm, color, 83 min

“Hello, bomb? Snap out of it, bomb.”

Begun as a USC student project by director John Carpenter(Halloween, The Thing) and writer Dan O’Bannon (Alien, Total Recall), Dark Star was then expanded to feature length, along with a corresponding increase of the budget, from $14 to $39. But look past the cheap (but quite clever) SFX and you’ll find one of the greatest existential science-fiction satires ever made.

Four miserable men fly around the universe fulfilling an inexplicable bureaucratic assignment, to blow up certain uninhabited planets. Sadly, after nineteen successful bomb runs, the crew turns on one another, the “alien” breaks loose, the toilet paper runs out, and bomb number 20 develops an attitude and refuses to follow orders.

Anyone seen this?

Dark Star
Cal Kuniholm

Begun as a USC student project by director John Carpenter(Halloween, The Thing) and writer Dan O’Bannon (Alien, Total Recall), Dark Star was then expanded to feature length, along with a corresponding increase of the budget, from $14 to $39. But look past the cheap (but quite clever) SFX and you’ll find one of the greatest existential science-fiction satires ever made.

Four miserable men fly around the universe fulfilling an inexplicable bureaucratic assignment, to blow up certain uninhabited planets. Sadly, after nineteen successful bomb runs, the crew turns on one another, the “alien” breaks loose, the toilet paper runs out, and bomb number 20 develops an attitude and refuses to follow orders.

Yeah, it's definitely worth a look. Carpenter's first film and it has lots of innovation. It's fun picking out the films that it has influenced or that refer back to it.

Anyone seen this?

Dark Star
Cal Kuniholm

yeah it's good. the alien's SFX are pretty... special. definitely of its time

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Anyone seen this?

Dark Star
Cal Kuniholm

yes, once when i was younger and hazier. i had a flashback to it and got sorta frustrated trying to find out what it was to the point that i mailed 'an expert' who had no idea. stumbled into it in a wikipedia hole last winter. I love it. watched about 6 times now. REAL FILM MAKING.

and the computer voice. phwwoooarrr.

Just back from Blade Runner at the cinema. Just great.

Got this in HMV before the film started. Now I'm worried I've spent too much.
Oh well

Just back from Blade Runner at the cinema. Just great.

Got this in HMV before the film started. Now I'm worried I've spent too much.
Oh well

Aw man, that's well worth the worry!
One of the best Giallo scores ever

I would love this soundtrack on vinyl--with this artwork but unfortunately it looks like it has been shelved

Death Waltz Recording Co. Teams Up With Hammer Films for Soundtrack Reissues of 'The Devil Rides Out' and 'Twins of Evil'

death26.jpg

it's available for about $40 on ebay on CD--which doesn't appeal at all

There is also this(!) Featuring Bernie Nolan and a lad from The Easybeats

The Devil Rides Out Musical Website
http://www.thedevilridesoutmusical.com/mp3 files/01 The Devil Rides Out.mp3

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back