Your work situation (3 Viewers)

i'm self-employed, offering a nationwide, next-day, niche service, so it means i only know the evening before where i'll be the next day. great way to see ireland, but can involve a savage amount of travel and some long days - c.80% of the work is in leinster but i have had to drive to e.g. caherciveen or gortahork and back in one day. biggest day was 880km of road ( Swords, Co. Dublin, Ireland to Swords, Co. Dublin, Ireland - Google Maps ). slower days and evenings are reserved for admin, but i'm never off duty, save for weekends (though i did 17 hours last weekend, but that was an exception). haven't had a holiday since eyjafjallajokull erupted.

I "telecommunicated" for a Dublin software company for two years. I had to travel up every couple of months or so if there was a meeting or just to 'check in' with the development team - which was a good pretext to go on the absolute batter for a couple of days.

It was great - I could get out of bed at 08:50 - kid's childminder was only around the corner. I got rid of my car, had the house in excellent shape, cooking/eating well, was growing my own vegetables, playing a bit of music during the day, and getting downtown at least a couple of lunch times a week to meet other humans.

Most importantly, it was pants-optional work - I'm a pretty shambolic person and I find making myself presentable for the real world traumatic enough.

I found it quite easy to work from home, the type of work demanded quiet concentration. I had to work from home last week, and noticed I am still way more productive in a home environment. There are less distractions.

I finally left because I was getting bored being isolated from the team, and felt I was missing out on some of the more "exciting" work. Not the best reason in the world to leave a job in retrospect - I ended up swapping it for a daily commute (had to buy a car again) to an awful, awful, AWFUL job in a cube farm, which I hated so much I didn't last a year.

Changed jobs again - still working in an office, but it's a ten minute cycle, so it's not too bad, except for the pants.

i'm self-employed, offering a nationwide, next-day, niche service, so it means i only know the evening before where i'll be the next day. great way to see ireland, but can involve a savage amount of travel and some long days - c.80% of the work is in leinster but i have had to drive to e.g. caherciveen or gortahork and back in one day. biggest day was 880km of road ( Swords, Co. Dublin, Ireland to Swords, Co. Dublin, Ireland - Google Maps ). slower days and evenings are reserved for admin, but i'm never off duty, save for weekends (though i did 17 hours last weekend, but that was an exception). haven't had a holiday since eyjafjallajokull erupted.

That sounds brilliant

Dying to know who the client in Gortahork was

I'm from the suburbs of the metropolis that is Gortahork

The Glenveigh drive is nice alright. I drove over it very late one night and had to slow to a crawl because there were sheep sleeping all over the road and I had to gingerly negotiate my way through them

It was like a scene from The Birds

only with sheep

the govt. - i got to drive through glenveigh both ways on a stunning day which was awesome, one of the few times i didn't mind getting tractored on a narrow road.

my dad's best friend's ma's family used to run the hotel there...

McFadden's or McClafferty's?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back