Your work situation (7 Viewers)

I work from home usually 2 days a week. They'd be happy enough for me to work at home more (and sometimes I do, if Mrs. egg_ is away and all the parenting/cooking/etc falls to me), but I find if I'm in the office less than 3 days a week I kinda lose touch with people a bit

Worked for myself for nearly 2 years a good while ago, and found that work really leaked out into my life a lot. Doesn't really happen in this place cos there's no need for it to

I think I'd be happy enough to be in the office everyday if my commute wasn't so long (~1 hr 40 mins each way)

My job in a university:

Pros: Working on something I'm actually interested in; largely independent; flexible hours; can work from home when I need to; very little pressure from colleagues to deliver; reading interesting stuff counts as work; get to go to interesting places for conferences/collaborations; teaching.

Cons: the pay and the variability of the pay (dropped around €10,000 per year on my current contract compared to previous contract); applying for grants to generate my salary; short-term contracts (9 months - 2 years); no real promotion structure; easy to get overlooked by upper echelons; have periods where I need to work 7 days a week for months at a time; teaching.

Work day is supposed to be 7 to 5 (my boss comes in at 5:30), but I usually make it in before 8. There's a few of us like that.
It's a great company with lots of benefits, I don't really care about what I'm doing though. I am mostly left to my own devices and can disappear for hours at a time and no one says a word, or even notices.
It would be nice to work on something I was interested in, but I am addicted to money.

Would love to work from home. Don't see a downside to it. I've never been lonely a day in my life.

I work for a pretty decent sized company. I'll be here 8 years in May.

Pros: I get to work from home when I need to, generally 2 days a week. Though this has become tricky since the wifebot took voluntary redundancy before xmas and she's at home with the two year old in the morning, and the two and five year old in the afternoon. Our house is pretty small so there's no getting away from the noise, and I tend to have call-in meetings a bit. Anyway, I do like that freedom, and it means I tend to have leave days left at the end of every year as I'm not taking leave days to just not be in the office. The people I work with are sound, and my boss in particular is a great lad. The money is pretty good too.

Anyway, its great for music. Pretty much the only time I play guitar when I'm not rehearsing is when I'm working from home. Started to play the trumpet about 6 months ago too, and if I wasn't able to work from home I'd never get to practice that yoke. It's fucking deafening so practice once the lads are in bed is pretty much out.

Cons: The job has changed a lot in the last 2/3 years and I'm bored most of the time. If I left for an equivalent role in another company I wouldn't get the same money, and since herself went on the scratch that's not an option anyway. So I'm feeling a little bit trapped. I may try and change roles within the company.

I'm with the same "organisation" 19 years in May, that's almost half my life. I have move around a few times, same department but different locations. I'm incredibley bored of it. Some days are worst than others.

Pros: Job stability. it's not very taxing.

Cons: It's groundhog day.

I work half 8 - 5 Monday to Friday in an office. Used to like it a lot more then i do now but at the moment it suits my band commitments so i'm happy.

I like the commute as its close enough to cycle so i get some exercise and save money (except i was knocked down a few weeks ago and still have to use the dart the last while).

What kind of work are people doing from home? Generally speaking..........

Currently coming up with practice and testing strategies for IT e-learning content. It's pretty solitary. Even when I was collaborating more with folk they were mainly in Canada, South Africa and India so not being in the office was no big deal.

WOULDN'T YOU LIKE TO KNOW.....

parents-basement.jpg

Currently coming up with practice and testing strategies for IT e-learning content. It's pretty solitary. Even when I was collaborating more with folk they were mainly in Canada, South Africa and India so not being in the office was no big deal.

the lads in Canada are sound, best people to work with ever!

(I used to work in Mark's job fyi)

Users who are viewing this thread

• Deadmanposting
  • rettucs
Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back