lamb recipes (2 Viewers)

Does anyone have a good lamb recipe that will feed 10 people? Something more exciting than a normal roast but is not too complicated?

10 people?? You're gonna need a lot of lamb. Jeebus.

Try Jamie's lamb shoulder. You'll need like two (or maybe three?) shoulders though.

ingredients
for the lamb
• a large bunch of fresh rosemary
• 1 x 2kg shoulder of lamb
• olive oil
• sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 1 bulb of garlic, unpeeled, broken into cloves

for the smashed veg
• 750g peeled potatoes, cut into large chunks
• 3 large carrots, peeled and cut into small chunks
• ½ a large swede, peeled and cut into small chunks
• 75g butter

for the sauce
• 1 tablespoon flour
• 500ml good-quality hot chicken or vegetable stock
• 2 heaped tablespoons capers, soaked, drained and chopped
• a large bunch of fresh mint, leaves picked
• 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar

incredible roasted shoulder of lamb with smashed veg and greens
main courses | serves 6
In this recipe I’m going to show you how utterly incredible a slow-roasted shoulder of lamb can be. In exchange I’d like you to buy quality local lamb that’s had the appropriate amount of hanging time. I’m going to let the meat speak for itself and not add much to it, just a simple sauce made from all the goodness in the tray. You can make this at any time of year served with any seasonal veg.

Preheat your oven to full whack. Slash the fat side of the lamb all over with a sharp knife. Lay half the sprigs of rosemary and half the garlic cloves on the bottom of a high-sided roasting tray, rub the lamb all over with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place it in the tray on top of the rosemary and garlic, and put the rest of the rosemary and garlic on top of the lamb. Tightly cover the tray with tinfoil and place in the oven. Turn the oven down immediately to 170°C/325°F/gas 3 and cook for 4 hours – it’s done if you can pull the meat apart easily with two forks.

When the lamb is nearly cooked, put your potatoes, carrots and swede into a large pot of boiling salted water and boil hard for 20 minutes or so until you can slide a knife into the swede easily. Drain and allow to steam dry, then smash them up in the pan with most of the butter. If you prefer a smooth texture, add some cooking water. Spoon into a bowl, cover with tinfoil and keep warm over a pan of simmering water.

Remove the lamb from the oven and place it on a chopping board. Cover it with tinfoil, then a tea towel, and leave it to rest. Put a large pan of salted water on to boil for your greens. Pour away most of the fat from the roasting tray, discarding any bits of rosemary stalk. Put the tray on the hob and mix in the flour. Add the stock, stirring and scraping all the sticky goodness off the bottom of the tray. You won’t need gallons of gravy, just a couple of flavoursome spoonfuls each. Add the capers, turn the heat down and simmer for a few minutes.

Finely chop the mint and add it to the sauce with the red wine vinegar at the last minute then pour into a jug. Add your greens and stalks to the pan of fast-boiling salted water and cook for 4 to 5 minutes to just soften them. Drain and toss with a knob of butter and a pinch of salt and pepper. Place everything in the middle of the table, and shred the lamb in front of your guests. Absolutely delish!

Yeah I saw that one. There will be lots of other food and some other meats. Honestly, serving 8 would do because I won't be eating any of it and left overs would be grand for a full house of people. I'm looking for something easy that won't take a lot of time in the oven. This would have been perfect but I don't have a broiler pan and my search so far leads me to believe they don't exist in Ireland.

Guinness-Glazed Lamb Chops Recipe | Epicurious.com

Why kill half a dozen lambs? Just get one big sheep, job's a good un

Also
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Thumped - The Most Helpful Place On Earth

the-more-you-know-a-s.gif

Found a way to improvise a broiler pan! I'm hosting a birthday party and most of it will be done the day before so hardly any hassle. Today I'll finish all the homemade ice creams to go with the three deserts. I need to try my banana cardamon upside-down cake today though to make sure it works. The pulled pork will be slow cooking all day. The chops don't take long so that leaves time for the cakes to bake (all simple) earlier on the day. All salads done the day before and chilled. Making a roast the day before too so there is meat to snack on and make sandwiches, if peckish. Chips, dips, raw veggies, nuts, beer, cocktails and it'll be a relaxed day. I'll have four house guests for a few days, so left over food is always good. Time management, yo. I have a lot of time on my hands at the moment.

Try this. I go lower and longer than Jamie though.

That pot doesn't have a rack. Your pork will produce a lot of liquid. You'll need to manage that. Or not.

Bone-in shoulder roast recipe
http://www.channel4.com/food/recipes/chefs/jamie-oliver/bone-in-shoulder-roast-recipe_p_1.html#
Date Published:
15/12/2008
"This is a proper old-school Sunday roast with crackling. Leaving the bone in adds a bit of extra flavour and having a layer of fat helps to keep the meat nice and moist as it roasts. This isn't the kind of joint you carve into neat slices. If you've cooked it right, it should pull apart into shreds with a couple of forks. If you're worried about scoring the crackling yourself, ask your butcher to do it for you, that's what he's there for."

Serves 4-6
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 2 hours

Ingredients

• 2kg bone-in shoulder of pork, skin on
  • Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 red onions, halved
  • 2 carrots, peeled and halved lengthways
  • 2 sticks of celery, halved
  • 1 bulb of garlic, skin on, broken into cloves
  • 6-8 fresh bay leaves
  • 600ml water or vegetable stock
Method: How to make bone-in shoulder roast
1. Preheat your oven to 220°C/425°F/gas mark 7.

2. Place your pork on a clean work surface, skin-side up. Get yourself a small sharp knife and make scores about a centimetre apart through the skin into the fat, but not so deep that you cut into the meat. If the joint is tied, try not to cut through the string.

3. Rub salt right into all the scores you've just made, pulling the skin apart a little if you need to. Brush any excess salt off the surface then turn it over. Season the underside of the meat with a few pinches of salt and pepper. Place your pork, skin side-up, in a roasting tray and pop in the preheated oven.

4. Roast for 30 minutes, until the skin of the pork has started to puff up and you can see it turning into crackling. At this point, turn the heat down to 180°C/350°F/gas mark 4 and roast for another hour. Take out of the oven and baste with the fat in the bottom of the tray.

5. Carefully lift the pork up and transfer to a chopping board. Add all the veg, garlic and bay leaves to the tray and stir them into the fat. Place the pork back on top of everything and return to the oven to roast for another hour. By this time the meat should be meltingly soft and tender. Carefully move the meat to a serving dish, cover with tin foil and leave to rest while you make your gravy.

6. Spoon away any fat in the tray, then add the water or stock and place the tray on the hob. Bring to the boil and simmer for a few minutes, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon to scrape up all those lovely sticky tasty bits on the bottom of the tray. When you've got a nice, dark gravy, pour it through a sieve into a bowl or gravy boat, using your spoon to really push all the goodness of the veg through the sieve. Add a little more salt and pepper if it needs it.

7. Serve the pork and crackling with your jug of gravy and some lovely roast potatoes (As a treat you can try roasting them in the fat you spooned out of your roasting tray). Some stewed red cabbage and a dollop of apple sauce will finish this off perfectly.

That's not exactly pulled pork though, is it?

It's essentially the same thing.

Pulled pork, as I understand it, should be smoked, so you're already not doing it properly kinda.
Do a nice rub and cook it low and slow and you can't go wrong.
I would leave the lid on - extra moisture and more heat pressure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back