2011-12 Champions League Thread (1 Viewer)

Was just about to post that. Napoli last night, Basel tonight and CSKA passed really well from what I saw too. I love this Manchester-less CL. Hope Chelsea scum go mental and get brits banned for another 5 years.

Ah shut up Eamon it is a vintage year.

napoli-calcio.jpg

After reading Sid Lowe's piece about the Milan-Barcelona Champions League final back in 1994 I decided to take a trip down memory lane ahead of tonight's game.

I'd forgotten just how great Savicevic's goal was. Class.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

John Terry - what an absolute fucking fool.
But (and I can't beleive I'm saying this) you'd be very hard pushed to begrudge Chelsea that victory. It was a brilliant performance.

John Terry - what an absolute fucking fool.
But (and I can't beleive I'm saying this) you'd be very hard pushed to begrudge Chelsea that victory. It was a brilliant performance.

Mikel, Cole, Ivanovic, Merieles were heroic But Petr Cech was absolutely amazing. Command performance. Amazing how when you strip the cunts out of Chelsea (except Lampard who lasted to the end) you can find yourself not hating them.

Pity Lampard and Drogba can play in the final I could enjoy it much more without them. Hard to imagine them winning against either Bayern or Real without any out and out centre halves but then Barca did it last year so what do I know.

Barca seemed oddly pedestrian, I think the commentator on TV 3 said something along the lines of Barcas plan A is phenominal whan it works but they have no plan B. Which really is fair enough. They never got the ball wide, never stretched Chelsea and every time Chelsea got in their half they looked like scoring. I'm not going to re-hash the "Barca don't defend properly" thread of 2010 though.

would love to know the odds chelsea were to win it out after the first leg in naples. and after barca went two up tonight actually
yeah, fair dues to them. even with a full strength team i would think bayern or real would beat them comfortably. i hope anyway.
aside from terry and co, its abramovich i fucking detest the most. Never want to see that prick with a european cup

would love to know the odds chelsea were to win it out after the first leg in naples. and after barca went two up tonight actually
yeah, fair dues to them. even with a full strength team i would think bayern or real would beat them comfortably. i hope anyway.
aside from terry and co, its abramovich i fucking detest the most. Never want to see that prick with a european cup

Actually yeah what am I saying? Fuck you Roman you cunt. You ruined football. Though maybe if he finally does win he'll fuck off back to Russia.

TV3 commentator also said "Torres doesn't miss chances like that"

That was one of my favourite games in a good while from a neutral-ish point of view

More begrudging kudos to Chelsea here. They defended incredibly well. I think the fact that they were down to 10 men gave them licence to get all their men behind the ball without being branded as overly negative.

Barca though, what the fuck? They looked mentally tired. The invention was gone from them, Messi had some sloppy play, the young lads (Cuenca - Tello) had nothing to offer. All I can remember of the second half was Messi, Iniesta and Xavi passing the ball to each other on the D and then knocking it out to Alves or Tello/Cuenca, then back again. It was written in the stars that Torres was gonna score a breakaway goal.

Barca though, what the fuck? They looked mentally tired. The invention was gone from them, Messi had some sloppy play, the young lads (Cuenca - Tello) had nothing to offer.
I'd be wary of writing them off after I was initially dismissive of Busquets and Pedro (thought Bojan and Dos Santos looked better players, more naturally gifted anyway) but they certainly weren't up to much last night. Barcelona's squad is fairly thin, only about 21 players I think, and they've been without Villa and Affallay for a while. Starting to look tired maybe. Chelsea's effort last night really was something, the fact that they were Terryless sort of made their progression palatable. Hard to predict that they'll win the final but the race for 3rd just got interesting. Geoff Shreeves should be punched in the dick though. Poor Ivanovic.

I'd be wary of writing them off after I was initially dismissive of Busquets and Pedro (thought Bojan and Dos Santos looked better players, more naturally gifted anyway) but they certainly weren't up to much last night. Barcelona's squad is fairly thin, only about 21 players I think, and they've been without Villa and Affallay for a while. Starting to look tired maybe. Chelsea's effort last night really was something, the fact that they were Terryless sort of made their progression palatable. Hard to predict that they'll win the final but the race for 3rd just got interesting. Geoff Shreeves should be punched in the dick though. Poor Ivanovic.

Certainly wouldn't write off the two young lads but they were out of their depth last night. Kinda puzzling that Pedro didn't even get a game.

For those who didn't see it on ITV, they cut to this 3 minutes into extra time for about 15 seconds

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

That was unusual, 4 really entertaining games.

Gotta say, i spent most of tuesday shouting "shoot!" at barca, they did it to themselves, but chelsea were good. Ramires's goal was special, considering he's talked himself out of the final.

Speaking of which, Alaba, who was wrongly booked for a penalty that wasn't, and was out of the final should bayern make it..what a performance, and to step up and take the first peno? The boy got stones, and he's 19. Superstar.

Ronaldo....jesus. What a flop.

Lovely beer in Munich. Bottlers in Chelsea.
Gosh, i've murdered that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back