Foggy Notions presents An Evening With Daniel Johnston & Friends - July 27th, Whelans (1 Viewer)

Re: Foggy Notions presents An Evening With Daniel Johnston & Friends - July 27th, Whe

Yeah, it was pretty great alright. Jad Fair was so much fun. Would have loved to have seen his set extended. Didn't care too much for the Scout Niblett and Mark Linkous sets. They seemed to take themselves a bit too seriously. Daniel Johnston didn't really play for very long though, did he? I mean, in comparison to Vicar Street. Overall I really liked it though.

Re: Foggy Notions presents An Evening With Daniel Johnston & Friends - July 27th, Whe

Didn't care too much for the Scout Niblett and Mark Linkous sets. They seemed to take themselves a bit too seriously.

I rather enjoyed their sets. It reminded me that I have never seen Sparklehorse live and I really should. Scout seems so meek and then that voice, Jesus! I generally don't care for female singers but damn I was impressed. She goes on the list of ones I like.

Scout's last song was amazing

I didn't like Scout's set that much and would have liked to have heard more from Linkous.

When Johnston only played 2 songs on his own I was a little nonplussed but fuckit it was miles better when he had the band and him not being shit at the guitar. That song that Johnston said had never been released was deadly (in fact it has been released, it's on Covered Uncovered: The Late Great Daniel Johnston I had been listening to it yesterday afternoon). He seemed far less twitchy than he was last time at Vicar St. and I thought the crowd was much better too, only one dipshit near me was metaphorically patting him on the head for being a grand fella altogether. Anyone notice he forgot Norman Blake when he introduced the band?

Spoke briefly to Jad Fair afterwards, dude is either half deaf or I'm really softly spoken.

VB7000 asked McNew if he was gonna come back with Yo La Tengo anytime soon, he just sadly shook his head. Have they split?

Considering going back again tonight but in all honesty I think it'll pretty much be the same thing again and it might lose something the second time.

i didn't get in to this as much as i might... was pretty much not taken with all the support acts last night although this was possibly the tiredness in me... his solo songs had nothing of the power of his solo songs at vicar street last year...

...the band set was pretty great though...

also surprised there was no shout of recognition when he introduced 'go' which is a brilliant song in my mind...

VB7000 asked McNew if he was gonna come back with Yo La Tengo anytime soon, he just sadly shook his head. Have they split?

I fuckin hope not! I was really hoping for a set from him. I love his voice.

Scout's last song was amazing
Yes! The other songs of hers were not that good and Mark Linkous' stuff managed to fill my weekly quota of whiney blah blah. Jad Fair is a legend. Red Dress was probably the best possible way to open the night. Norman Blake and him were having a smiling contest during Daniel's set. A lot shorter set than in vicar st yeah but a great selection and the band was just great.

I fuckin hope not! I was really hoping for a set from him. I love his voice.

Yeah, was hoping for a set from him too. Do you have the Dump Prince cover album (That Skinny Motherfucker With the High Voice)? I've been wondering if it was worth seeking out.

I can't recall when I've ever gotten better value for 23 euro. This was great. Yeah, it got a little disjointed at times with all the chopping and changing, but I had to keep pinching myself to take in who it was we were actually looking at.

I loved Norman Blake (I'd be a big TF fan anyway). Loved yer one. Thought Jad Fair was great. As was Linkous, but his set was wayyyy to short. And the Daniel Johnston set, both with and without band were deadly. I didn't even mind that he told the same joke that he told last time.

Well done Foggy Notions. Another great gig from your stable.

Yeah, was hoping for a set from him too. Do you have the Dump Prince cover album (That Skinny Motherfucker With the High Voice)? I've been wondering if it was worth seeking out.

I've been looking for it for a long time. Picked it up once ages ago but had no cash on me to buy it. I'd say it would be totally worth checking out.

On the other hand the majority of Prince covers have are just awful.

I wonder how many of those "Hi, How are you?" shirts I'm going to see around the place in the coming months.

€25 for a "signed print" (photocopy?) was a bit much.

i thought linkous was incredibly disappointing...

Yes! The other songs of hers were not that good and Mark Linkous' stuff managed to fill my weekly quota of whiney blah blah. Jad Fair is a legend. Red Dress was probably the best possible way to open the night. Norman Blake and him were having a smiling contest during Daniel's set. A lot shorter set than in vicar st yeah but a great selection and the band was just great.

I thought Scout was great. A terrific wail on her. I also found myslef becoming very attracted to the way she contorts her lips when wailing.

Jad Fair seems like an annoying guy but his songs were really good fun AFTER Red Dress. I saw him wandering around aimlessly outside afterwards. I hope he wasn't knocked down.

Norman Blake - someone's dad. Which is cool. He's very Scottish, like Kenny Dalglish and Gordon Strachan rolled into, eh, someone from Teenage Fanclub.

Linkous - I think he might be a tad too delicate for concerted listening for me but I should give him a try as I did enjoy his set.

Johnston - I found myslef questioning my own motives and those of everyone else there when he was doing his solo thing. Then I thoroughly enjoyed the full band performance, but it could have lasted a bit longer and there was no Man Obsesssed. :(

Dude, they are triple the price on his website

So they're triple a bit much? That'd be fair for an original I think. </philistine>

Hey, does anyone know who the guy who was shooting the gig was from the left side of the stage is? He was at the Calvin Johnson gig on Friday doing the same.

Johnston - I found myslef questioning my own motives and those of everyone else there when he was doing his solo thing.

Where I was there seemed to be far fewer people there who came to see the crazy guy from the film then at Vicar Street. And as I said earlier the ticks and the twitching was far less evident which I'm glad about, obviously mostly for him but also because there were times last year when I found watching him to be a little harrowing and quite upsetting.

I agree

Where I was there seemed to be far fewer people there who came to see the crazy guy from the film then at Vicar Street. And as I said earlier the ticks and the twitching was far less evident which I'm glad about, obviously mostly for him but also because there were times last year when I found watching him to be a little harrowing and quite upsetting.

To quote the girl next to me: "Who is this guy?" [cheers from crowd] "Oh, it must be him...wow, someone has done too many drugs in his day."

There seemed to be a lot of fawning when he came out first and folk were cheering every line he sang, but thankfully that didn't go on for long. He did seem a lot more together than he was in Vicar Street, which given the intimacy of the venue was a very good thing. And while he repeated a joke from the Vicar Street gig, he thankfully didn't repeat all of them :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back