The internet ruined music (2 Viewers)

• Thread starter GO
  • Start date
  • Replies 118
  • Views 8K
  • Watchers 4
Its done a lot of damage to peoples' ability to appreciate music though. Condescending as that sounds, I reckon its true. How can someone who has access to millions of songs or albums at their fingertips, for free, have any kind of perspective of what its like to really list to something and 'get' something.

Being a kid who gets 5-10 albums a year when they save up their pocket money, or who stays up half the night taping songs off the radio, thats what the kids today have missed out on. Repeated listening, over and over, because thats all there was to listen to.

Not this shite today where people don't even listen to albums. Just the odd song here and there.

Slightly long and ranty post here...

I'm sorry but I actually think the whole idea of our generation as being better listeners is kind of bollocks. Just because there's 4 million albums available for people at the touch of a button doesn't mean that every teenager is trying to listen to all 4 million albums at the one time. People are still giving stuff repeated listens, it's just that they have more of a choice about what that is. I also think that when you look at how well a band like Deafheaven, where most of the songs are about 10 minutes, are doing it kind of makes me rethink the idea that young peoples attention spans are lowering. I think we need to give young people more credit than we do.

This idead is probably slightly heretical but I actually think that growing up in an environment where everything is available might actually help focus younger people on picking just the stuff that they want and have time for. We've grown up in an era where the main boundary to entertainment was cost but for a lot of people that's now been removed.

I actually think what Gaz was talking about in the 1st post is something that happened moreso with older music fans. I think a lot of people here probably experienced this, I know I did; where something that was prohibitively expensive and sometimes really hard to get became freely available so people gorged themselves a little. After a while, you kind of realise that 1. you don't need that many albums and 2. you need to spend less time in front of a plastic screen and more time with actual people. So a lot of the stuff that we're assuming and accusing kids of doing is pretty much stuff that we've done ourselves.

Think about it like this: when was the last time you got offered a hard drive full of films and albums from someone that wasn't a middle aged guy?

In a nutshell:

It's all about moderation.

People are always going to like music and want to listen to it.

The future's not that grim.

The only thing the internet's probably really ruining are social skills for people who didn't possess a whole lot of them in the first place

sexy kids and their big cans
Kids don't use earbuds anymore. They all have massive cans

Badman.jpg

Sure it's the showbands all over again "Then along come the DJs with their discos and their little records and sure they ruined everything"

You can still buy sheet music also

Oh well you are right i suppose if i look at the last stuff i bought lately mostly records they are made anywhere between 88 to 500 copies probarbly averaging out around 250 copies. So i suppose these days for a smallish label 500 copies of an lp would actually be a very big run...

Last edited:
so, gaz, does that mean you're giving up recording new songs every 5 minutes? got the impression that was as important to you as...oh, i dunno, breathing?
Last week I had definitely decided to knock recording on the head.

But I've changed me mind.Its great!

Just needed a fresh perspective.

I was listening to you have the right to remain retarded last night. Remember when gaz posted the video to don't touch that dial? Great times.

Anyway, I bought walking on a pretty daze and the new war on drugs in tower north side last night. The majority of the youth of today probably didnt spend this morning listening to an album in bed reading the lyrics and sleeve notes. Fuck the majority. I bet some sound teenagers did.

I only introduced my wife to Transformer last week and she's been singing hangin' round ever since. So I dunno, dscovery is around every corner. I'm all out of whiskey now and I'm sad.

I was listening to you have the right to remain retarded last night. Remember when gaz posted the video to don't touch that dial? Great times.

Anyway, I bought walking on a pretty daze and the new war on drugs in tower north side last night. The majority of the youth of today probably didnt spend this morning listening to an album in bed reading the lyrics and sleeve notes. Fuck the majority. I bet some sound teenagers did.

I only introduced my wife to Transformer last week and she's been singing hangin' round ever since. So I dunno, dscovery is around every corner. I'm all out of whiskey now and I'm sad.
The new War on Drugs album is great.

I love that name "War On Drugs"

Its fucking brilliant.I must check them out

everyone - watch this video, and then come back here and explain how much relevance you feel it has to the thread in question.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

seriously though, it's a cracking video. it's over an hour long, mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back