The bands that got away… (1 Viewer)

JOA had two albums, I thought? I only have and heard the first one, mind.

I saw the Connect 4 Orchestra supporting Fugazi at that show in the refurbed Red Box that started like 2 hours late because they were still sawing planks in the building when Fugazi arrived for sound check. So I was not in the mood to see a bloody support band.
I remember feeling the same way at that one!
Regretted missing the Beasties in the Tivoli. It was a smashing venue.

Yep, to albums,Lost At Sea and Distant Hearts A Little Closer. JOA had a 10" ep and a 7" too.
Apologies. I thought the other was a mini lp...

It's the latter I'm thinking of with this cracker opening side B:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Vic Chesnutt. Had tickets for his gig in the Button Factory in 2007 and couldn't go (although I have heard the bootleg through the kindness of @Cornu Ammonis, or maybe @rettucs). Missed seeing him in Galway in 1992(?) as well, but in fairness I didn't even know that he was playing, only heard afterwards from some friends who had wandered in to see him.

Had tickets for The Dirty Three the last time they played here and got into town and realised I had left the bank card at home, so went home to get it and then didn't bother going back in. Very stupid. I did see them the time before that though.

Alice in chains and Wildhearts in sfx in 93. Saw Pantera (first gig ever) month or two before, and didn't ask about going to this aswell at the time. Actually still haven't seen Aic.

Vic Chesnutt. Had tickets for his gig in the Button Factory in 2007 and couldn't go (although I have heard the bootleg through the kindness of @Cornu Ammonis, or maybe @rettucs). Missed seeing him in Galway in 1992(?) as well, but in fairness I didn't even know that he was playing, only heard afterwards from some friends who had wandered in to see him.
Thought Cork and Dublin in 1994 was his first visit here, with the Peter Sillen film. Whelan's was great but The Lobby the night before was sublime. I have a bootleg of that somewhere.

Alice in chains and Wildhearts in sfx in 93.
At the time period roughly 93 - 96 would have been an amazing gig for a young Kerrang! reading teen to see.

I remember reading about Sunstroke in 95...as a pre-teen getting into rock, it would have been unreal.

there was a pretty lengthy Eirecore thread (328 posts) from 2004 called -
''What was the first gig you ever went to?''
about 10 people picked the same gig as me.
Sunstroke 93 @ Dalymount w/ FNM, SONIC YOUTH, SUGAR, DISPOSABLE HEROES OF HIPHOPRISY, BELLY.
first Irish big outdoor gig I can remember than was all 'alternative' bands. went to see SY and Bob Mould.

there was a pretty lengthy Eirecore thread (328 posts) from 2004 called -
''What was the first gig you ever went to?''
about 10 people picked the same gig as me.
Sunstroke 93 @ Dalymount w/ FNM, SONIC YOUTH, SUGAR, DISPOSABLE HEROES OF HIPHOPRISY, BELLY.
first Irish big outdoor gig I can remember than was all 'alternative' bands. went to see SY and Bob Mould.
I had a feeling there would be a thread already. Only Sonic Youth jump out at me from that line up. Would have been a good time to see them.

Alice in chains and Wildhearts in sfx in 93. Saw Pantera (first gig ever) month or two before, and didn't ask about going to this aswell at the time. Actually still haven't seen Aic.
I was at that. I think it was the first time I ever saw a band do the “drop the massive curtain in front of the stage as the band starts playing” thing. Very short gig I think.

At the time period roughly 93 - 96 would have been an amazing gig for a young Kerrang! reading teen to see.

I remember reading about Sunstroke in 95...as a pre-teen getting into rock, it would have been unreal.
It was, Having your ears ringing in pe class after seeing Sepultura and Paradise lost in sfx, the sunstroke gigs, that Biohazard gig in Tivoli, Rollins band and Dig in Tivoli, Slayer in sfx. Good times

I wanted to go to Sunstroke ’95 as I was mad into Soundgarden but my mam would never have let me. I feel like I’ve said this before but anyway. I know TAD were on the bill but maybe they didn’t play? I don’t remember.

My brothers were at that. Apparently the set was mainly new stuff from Experimental Jet Set which didn’t come for another year or so. They were underwhelmed
Yeah, I wasn't impressed either. My main memory is that it was extremely hot, which was apt considering the name.

Still have the ticket and flyer. FB_IMG_1694262431947.jpg

I wanted to go to Sunstroke ’95 as I was mad into Soundgarden but my mam would never have let me. I feel like I’ve said this before but anyway. I know TAD were on the bill but maybe they didn’t play? I don’t remember.
Ditto about the mam business. Country boys didn't get the same privileges as city boys...but you are a Dub so that is surprising.

Some twats from my primary school went to that outdoor Radiohead thing in Galway 96. I was proper raging. One year later - still no go with this gig going business...

What the fuck did parents think happened at these gigs? It was just a bit of rocking out.

Ditto about Soundgarden who really caught my imagination around the fifth class age....I was under the impression there was only one Sunstroke - Sunstroke 95.

I was at that 93 one. Mates called at my house on the morning having decided to go and off we went. Bought tickets when we got there.

Imagine that these days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back