Apple Music vs Spotify question (1 Viewer)

dudley

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Contributor
Since 1999
Website
www.thedudleycorporation.com
Considering ditching Spotify for Apple Music, works out a quid cheaper a month for the family plan, for much higher quality audio, and seemingly they pay far more favourable rates.

Trialling Apple now and it seems grand, but one feature I use a lot is missing, or I can't figure it out. On Spotify, whatever device I'm using it on, there's a little speaker icon that you can click to get it to play on another device. Useful, say, if you're listening to Spotify over the stereo, but controlling it from your web browser.

1708435074048.png

One of the class things I do as a parent in the morning if my son isn't getting out of bed, is connect to his alexa speaker from spotify on my laptop, and play the hits of Wham.
But I don't see a means to do this in apple music?
Experts, please help.

Considering ditching Spotify for Apple Music, works out a quid cheaper a month for the family plan, for much higher quality audio, and seemingly they pay far more favourable rates.

Trialling Apple now and it seems grand, but one feature I use a lot is missing, or I can't figure it out. On Spotify, whatever device I'm using it on, there's a little speaker icon that you can click to get it to play on another device. Useful, say, if you're listening to Spotify over the stereo, but controlling it from your web browser.

View attachment 18198

One of the class things I do as a parent in the morning if my son isn't getting out of bed, is connect to his alexa speaker from spotify on my laptop, and play the hits of Wham.
Experts, please help.
I find that feature annoying but also essential by times
It is very nice to come in from a bike ride or a run and switch from phone to house speakers

Slightly off topic, but the thing I would miss most about Spotify is the playlists. There are music critics, TV music supervisors and all sorts of people making playlists on there that I find real value in. I have no idea if Apple has this people or not, presumably yes?

But if this is not something you would miss, then it's a moot point.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Loads of playlists in applemusic. But you're right, it doesn't seem to be as driven by the public's playlists. I'm still using iTunes 12.9.5.5 on my ancient mac so while it does incorporate the service, it's only just about. The transition to my equally ancient iphone dosn't work that well,

seemingly they pay far more favourable rates
Not really - per-stream rate is higher than Spotify because they don't have a free tier, so they have fewer streams per subscriber. TBH the only way to compare how well streaming services pay artists is to compare the proportion of their total revenue that they pay out, and only Spotify releases that data. I'd say you can be pretty certain that none of the others pay out more or else they'd be advertising it

There's a thing, nearly ever article you look up gives a totally different answer on the royalties thing.

"Apple Music pays as much as 90% more per stream than Spotify"

1708450477070.png

I've no idea is this workaround would have any merit with apple and alexa bits because all my stuff is google (a tv and speaker in another room) - but rather than casting from spotify I cast a browser tab to the devices from chrome.

on a side note It started doing multi room recently and it's wonderful.

I've no idea is this workaround would have any merit with apple and alexa bits because all my stuff is google (a tv and speaker in another room) - but rather than casting from spotify I cast a browser tab to the devices from chrome.

on a side note It started doing multi room recently and it's wonderful.
I have to do the Chrome casting for stuff like Bowman on Sunday cos RTE won't make a podcast of it (pricks)

Multi-room is fab.

Full house Huey on Saturdays.
And cool when there's a sports game on the TV, and you want a slash. You don't miss a thing.

"Apple Music pays as much as 90% more per stream than Spotify"
That's per-stream. Nobody's disputing that they pay more per stream. I'm saying they pay out approx the same amount of their total revenue that Spotify does. People think Apple pays artists better, but it only looks like they do because they have fewer streams - if existing users streamed more on Apple Music then the per-stream payout would go down

View attachment 18198

Experts, please help.
Wham! is indeed a great band to wake up to go go to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back