• Start date
  • Replies 118
  • Views 8K
  • Watchers 4

GO

Now Is Go
Supporter
Solutions
I for one bought into it..lock stock and fucking youtube.

I remember..in 1997..I lived in New York...and I bought an iMac(first generation yoke..a complete dog by todays standards)just so I could get with Napster.

I'd seen Napster in a friends house and could not believe my eyes(eyes being the operative word here)
Every record I ever dreamt of hearing was on there..and a million more..I was captivated..100%.I wanted in.I wanted to fuck the music industry in the arse and take all them records I couldnt afford.

So I took them.Took every single one.And then I took a load more.

I sold all my records...which I don't regret.The weight of them far outweighs their usefulness.

At one stage I had at least 400 albums I hadnt listened to.But I still persevered...I downloaded everything.
Enough music to last several lifetimes.Easily.

But it was all just a commodity.I wasnt hearing the music

At the start it was great..I even started djing.Making money and more importantly kudos from music I had no right to own.The kudos was nice.I have good taste and its nice being recognised for it.Nice.

Then I got bored with that.I'm a musician..we tend to get bored with music..its in our nature.
I needed a new kick.

But there was none.I'd heard all variations.I became a cynic.

I spent a few years listening to stuff I loved when the passion first took hold.That was sweet.

Then I listened to Beethoven.And still do.

And after all that..I now listen to cds I get for 50 cents in the charity shop.

I don't even really care whats on them.As long as its real people singing and playing real instruments.

Anyway..it grieves me ..that rock n roll is in trouble.

I think its in trouble.

What am I gonna do about it?

I think all right minded artists should stop all recording and only play gigs.

You can't get paid for recording.So stop recording.

Play shows.If people like what you do..they'll pay.

And the MAGIC ..will remain.

You can't download a sweaty gang of virtuosos into your ipod

Last edited:
A nice enough sentiment,but being up against people who don't give a fuck....well,that's the real problem,not the internet.

A nice enough sentiment,but being up against people who don't give a fuck....well,that's the real problem,not the internet.
Well..I know already that you're down with it.

Putting out cassettes is the same thing

But..I'm talking about recapturing the imaginations of young people..let them know that theres an alternative..and a bloody exciting one at that

The lure of something that can only be heard if you go to hear it.

Well..I know already that you're down with it.

Putting out cassettes is the same thing

But..I'm talking about recapturing the imaginations of young people..let them know that theres an alternative..and a bloody exciting one at that

The lure of something that can only be heard if you go to hear it.

I think the young people are lost.

My nephew thinks I am an idiot for typing onto my smart phone. "Just use Siri!"
They want things easier and quicker.
Recorded formats are pretty much gone the way of sheet music.

The only imagination I want to capture is my own(and my bandmates of course). If anyone else wants to come along for the ride,then great.

It's not people's job to give a fuck though, is it? If you want people to like what you do, then it's your job. If you don't care what they think then fine, but then you've nothing to complain about.

But I'm not complaining. I just play music I like to (to very few people,but that's fine)

I certainly don't worry about what the "kids today" think or give a fuck about.

But I'm not complaining. I just play music I like to (to very few people,but that's fine)

I certainly don't worry about what the "kids today" think or give a fuck about.
Aww man.

This is it.

Neither do I now.

Glad we had this talk.Yer a smart man Gary!

Ahh..but that means nothing to people like us.

And you sir are dead right..as usual.

Thats the future of rock n roll..just doing it cos you love it

Thats the reward.

If the next crowd arent buying it..not really my problem.

I stil tlhink the internet devalued music though..not financially..I mean..its just not as important.

And that sucks

I stil tlhink the internet devalued music though

Its done a lot of damage to peoples' ability to appreciate music though. Condescending as that sounds, I reckon its true. How can someone who has access to millions of songs or albums at their fingertips, for free, have any kind of perspective of what its like to really list to something and 'get' something.

Being a kid who gets 5-10 albums a year when they save up their pocket money, or who stays up half the night taping songs off the radio, thats what the kids today have missed out on. Repeated listening, over and over, because thats all there was to listen to.

Not this shite today where people don't even listen to albums. Just the odd song here and there.

Its done a lot of damage to peoples' ability to appreciate music though. Condescending as that sounds, I reckon its true. How can someone who has access to millions of songs or albums at their fingertips, for free, have any kind of perspective of what its like to really list to something and 'get' something.

Being a kid who gets 5-10 albums a year when they save up their pocket money, or who stays up half the night taping songs off the radio, thats what the kids today have missed out on. Repeated listening, over and over, because thats all there was to listen to.

Not this shite today where people don't even listen to albums. Just the odd song here and there.

I pretty much agree with all of this. But,I still don't care. I'm not a teenager,the more I care the more I'd feel like a jaded old fucker going on about how it was "back in my day"*,it's not my day any more. All I can do is make sure I have a way for me to enjoy what I like.

(I'm not saying anyone else is,just how it feels to me)

This is it.

I'm not afraid of coming off like some old "in my day" bastard..but heres the facts..

Kids today arent getting the same buzz as we got.Nothing near it.
And I don't believe for one solitary nanosecond..that what replaced it is anywhere near as good.In fact...its just not.

It might well be different and great in its own way..but it aint DARK SIDE OF THE FUCKING MOON WHEN YER 14.

No way can it be..througha set of earbuds

This is it.

I'm not afraid of coming off like some old "in my day" bastard..but heres the facts..

Kids today arent getting the same buzz as we got.Nothing near it.
And I don't believe for one solitary nanosecond..that what replaced it is anywhere near as good.In fact...its just not.

It might well be different and great in its own way..but it aint DARK SIDE OF THE FUCKING MOON WHEN YER 14.

No way can it be..througha set of earbuds

no, deffo not. Another thing that occurred to me recently was how expensive music has always been. Like, if I look at some old vinyl I got back in 1987 theres a pricetag around 7.50 old punts. Convert that to euro and thats about a tenner. Now convert that to what that might be worth 17 years later and I reckon we're talking 40 euro. A bit mad really.

(sorry thats not got anything to do with anything)

Never heard it on cd,just the lp I bought at a car boot sale years ago.

I've not played it in ages in fact,was thinking about it recently too.

You never heard DSOTM on CD?

Call yourself a music man?

no, deffo not. Another thing that occurred to me recently was how expensive music has always been. Like, if I look at some old vinyl I got back in 1987 theres a pricetag around 7.50 old punts. Convert that to euro and thats about a tenner. Now convert that to what that might be worth 17 years later and I reckon we're talking 40 euro. A bit mad really.

(sorry thats not got anything to do with anything)
Econonmics is outside my area of expertise

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back