Homesickness (1 Viewer)

Sup travellers. What do you miss about home? I'm currently two-months into a stint of being away for three years. I miss pubs.

i'm away three years (though to return in a few weeks) but i really missed pub culture, gigs and grub. and after living in pollution for so long - clean, crisp air. amazing the stuff you take for granted!

Ah... pub culture to include: an actual pint, crisps, it being normal to be drunk, spice burgers, breakfast rolls, Sunday papers... *wibble*

And gigs! They are expecting 400,000 people out to see Genesis here this weekend. I wouldn't mind only my neighbours have been playing Genesis really loudly for the past hour.

tayto.
lyons and barrys tea.
ballymaloe relish.
avoca handweaver's.
walking down dun laioghre (sic) pier on a cold clear night.

there are SO many things to miss :(

Fun, not working, the colour green, doing things at the weekend, cold, rain, the sea (even though I'm right beside it, it ain't the same), quiet, friends.

You can order them to any address of the website. I sent a box to a mate in the US last christmas after he heard me nattering on about them the whole time while visiting. When him and his friends visited in march the first thing they all wanted was taytos.

When I was a abroad I didn't think I was homesick at all. Then I started bawling when I heard some crusty busker playing Irish reels on the flute.

And salt 'n vinegar taytos of course. In Hollnad they only use vinegar for cleaning windows. They think you're mental if you want it on your chips.

"It's three o'clock in the morning!?"

"Ah, but it's breakfast time back home"

YouTube, you've failed me.

I miss:

tea (barrys/lyons whatever - never even drank it that much at home but crave it.....)
the hurling
going into a shop and not feeling guilty about speaking english

I had that "but it's breakfast time back home" thing as me myspace thing a week ago...

And er, i'm not even gone a month yet...only gone for 4/5 months anyway and gotta say I miss little else bar certain people

I've been living outside canada for six years now and I miss the following:

Starbucks in bookstores
Lucky Charms cereal (they make your pee turn blue!)
Hot summers
Dill pickle flavour crisps
Eggo waffles for a hangover with maple syrup
Kraft dinner
Denny's at 4am
Real camping, in the middle of nowhere, roughing it. No hot showers for days.

A few months after I moved here I saw canada v. wales in a rugby game (course we lost) but when they played the national anthem I bawled like a baby. Morto!

A few months after I moved here I saw canada v. wales in a rugby game (course we lost) but when they played the national anthem I bawled like a baby. Morto!

Yeah, what's with the increased national pride? THRILLHO goes bananas when people think he's American here. IRLANDESE, IRLANDESE.

I hear ya. I think when you're living in your home country, there's a sense of fundamental belonging that you don't even notice enough to take for granted. But then you leave, and all of a sudden, it becomes apparent that you're not a default local, so you start thinking about where you have a like-it-or-not sense of belonging. I never felt like I 'belonged' in the US, and I'm sure I never really will, but by virtue of being born there, it doesn't matter if I feel it, or if I even like it, but it's there, and in a weird way, I'm glad for it. It's not a patriotism or anything, it's not pride at being American (because being proud of where you were born just seems a bit silly -- it's not like you achieved something by being born in a particular country), it's just a bit of belonging that makes you feel a bit gooey.

I'm homesick for all sorts of things, and I don't think it ever goes away, you just learn to manage it. I find I romanticise home when things get really hard here, even though, on a rational level, I know it's not a bed of roses. Lately, though, the only time I can feel in any way optimistic about my future on this planet is when I picture it in the US. It's mainly to do with the immigration laws becoming absolutely impossible. Whenever I remember that there is a place that I have basic rights that I don't have here and never will, I get really emotional, and it doesn't matter to me that it's a country with all kinds of fucked up problems -- at least it's a country with fucked up problems where I don't have to register my every move with the police. I'm sure when I move back there, those fucked up problems will make me long for Ireland, but right now, all I can think about is going home.

The American flag still makes me sick to my stomach, but that's because, well, it's the American flag.

I can't watch anything to do with Boston without crying. Also, despite spending a significant amount of time trying to avoid talking to tourists, sometimes, if I hear people with Boston accents, I want to go around hugging them all. But I don't because I'll just start bawling. Old-style MBTA buses on TV. Sometimes when I go running around the South Wall, it reminds me of running in Southie and I get a wee bit teary-eyed. But I'm sure if I'm ever running in Southie again, it'll make me teary-eyed for the South Wall...

Fuck's sake, I'm just in the door after a year and a half away. Had my tea, had my bacon sambo and had my listen to Newstalk.

It's bollocks, lads. Don't want to be home AT ALL.

Another few weeks in Indonesia would do me grand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back