The internet ruined music (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter GO
  • Start date
  • Replies 118
  • Views 7K
  • Watchers 4
This presupposes that music journalism is somehow still, or ever was, relevant. (Still good though!)

haha, true.

It's up to you to decide what is relevant to you but I am in favour of criticism, if a bit more ambivalent about "journalism".

Music criticism is suspect because the people that practice it are so in thrall to fashion and trends that it loses sight of what people actually enjoy.
And in a world where anyone can listen to whatever they want whenever they want to, we need music critics and tastemakers so much less.
The guy in the article compares music criticism to movie and food criticism, but we often need those guys - I can't watch any new-release film or eat in The Green House with a click.
Music criticism is more akin to those who write about fashion. It's for people who look at a dress with 80 buttons and 10 lapels on it but still need someone to tell them whether they like it or not.

Music criticism should not be about telling you what you should like or not like, or about "tastemaking", it should be about enriching the experience of listening, opening up new avenues, making it more interesting and ( maybe?) fun. The fact that most of the time it totally fails to do that shouldn't doom it entirely as an enterprise. The fact that we can listen to anything anytime makes it more important to me, not less. I just wish that most of wasn't so shite.

Music criticism is suspect because the people that practice it are so in thrall to fashion and trends that it loses sight of what people actually enjoy.
And in a world where anyone can listen to whatever they want whenever they want to, we need music critics and tastemakers so much less.
The guy in the article compares music criticism to movie and food criticism, but we often need those guys - I can't watch any new-release film or eat in The Green House with a click.
Music criticism is more akin to those who write about fashion. It's for people who look at a dress with 80 buttons and 10 lapels on it but still need someone to tell them whether they like it or not.
Bad music criticism is all of that.

Good music criticism is not like that.

Music criticism should not be about telling you what you should like or not like, or about "tastemaking", it should be about enriching the experience of listening, opening up new avenues, making it more interesting and ( maybe?) fun. The fact that most of the time it totally fails to do that shouldn't doom it entirely as an enterprise. The fact that we can listen to anything anytime makes it more important to me, not less. I just wish that most of wasn't so shite.
That's all fine and dandy, and I do appreciate that, but what I have no real time for is 'criticising' criticism ala the NME and all that muckraking shite. I prefer fanzine culture, as in "I like this music and I love this record for this reason". Why waste your time telling people that you think they shouldn't like, when you could be writing about what you enjoy?

yeah i agree with that. i love when someone feels compelled to write about something.

Sometimes reviews of things that are awful that actually say they are awful are fun though.
By far the best thing to write about is something that's awful. t's way easier and more fun. Good things are harder because any praise you give whatever it is will have been said better by someone else and you feel to some extent like you're repeating the obvious rather than adding anything to what is already a one sided debate. Mediocre or flawed work is by far the most interesting thing to write about and therefore the most difficult. So Basically one day I will write a vey long essay about Monster by REM but a far shorter one riddled with swear words about Reveal and basically have nothing to say about Reckoning or Document.

“A higher diversity score should indicate a higher social status, which means that these listeners can have more expensive ads sold against them.”

jaysus

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back