Your work situation (10 Viewers)

I notice a strong move in our organisation toward people who are a cultural fit.
Culture as far as work goes, I mean.
If you are diligent and hard working, we figure we can train a lot of the rest of it.
Knowing a system is easy enough to teach; finding someone who will doggedly learn a system and understand how it interacts with other systems, is a lot harder to find.

i don't know what profession himself is in BUT in my experience, civil service job forms are a fucking to fill in.
Not just a few hours. You'd be a whole day at it. Absolute Fucking nightmare
if it's only taking a day you're doing it wrong

Most CS promotion application forms are very very detailed and very very specific, and most interviews will be guided by the content of your application form, so it's an opportunity to have at least some control of the conversation.

When I applied for the job I have now I took a lot of time over the application, then did a technical test that took me most of a weekend, then had 6 separate interviews

Totally worth it. More enjoyable job, better pay

edit: having said that I could probably get paid WAY more in google or FB if I was arsed spending 6 months studying for the interview

Last edited:
I notice a strong move in our organisation toward people who are a cultural fit.
Culture as far as work goes, I mean.
If you are diligent and hard working, we figure we can train a lot of the rest of it.
Knowing a system is easy enough to teach; finding someone who will doggedly learn a system and understand how it interacts with other systems, is a lot harder to find.
It's WAY easier to fake culture fit in an interview than it is to fake actual skills. I did a technical interview with a lad lately who'd been rated highly by all previous interviewers but didn't have a fucking breeze when it came to tech.

Here's what we think of people that take days out of their annual leave to fill out those forms.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

It's WAY easier to fake culture fit in an interview than it is to fake actual skills. I did a technical interview with a lad lately who'd been rated highly by all previous interviewers but didn't have a fucking breeze when it came to tech.

We back door a lot of that stuff

Our industry, everyone knows most everyone else, so you can check on someone's CV pretty easily.
If someone says they were a project manager on Project Q, just call up someone else that worked on that.

It's more like the younger people we get. You can tell the ones that are gonna be good, right out of the gate. Send the workers to do important stuff, get the dossers into marketing or whatever.

many years ago, a chap i know faked a shitload of info on his CV and got called for an interview in microsoft; they copped quickly enough during the interview and rather than saying 'we're ending this, this is a waste of time', they bollocked him out of it like a bold child and warned him they could have him blacklisted with all job agencies they deal with. kept him there for a few minutes like that.

Last edited:
and i've just remembered that time i went for an interview for a job in MS - in 2000, i think, i think a helpdesk or deskside job, and the technical guy asked me 'can you give me an example of hwo you've shown problem solving in a technical context?'
i was most of the way into, 'actually, i recently just worked out an easy way to get admin rights in NT4 even if you've only got normal user privileges' when he leaned back rapidly on his chair (so the HR lady couldn't see him) and violently made that neck chopping/stop what you're saying motion.

he apologised to me after, when she was not there - you do *not* make any mention of flaws in MS products when in interviews, as i should have copped.

had a chat with the old boss. going to do a 4 day week (mon-thurs) for the same money i was on when i left last year. 2 days in Dublin, 2 days in Donegal.
which is graaaaaand.

So in reality there hasn't been enough work in the northwest so far the last 10 months. So I've been doing mon-Thurs
in Dublin and often finishing in Sligo Thursday afternoon so I was 90mins home then. But mostly I wasn't getting home until 8pm on Thursday which is balls.

it has taken its toll;
Have had enough of spending 4 nights a week in my parents attic and not being home long enough to get necessary house works completed. That and I feel like I'm not properly living in my own house I bought among other things.

Convinced work to let me go down to 3 days a week in Dublin. And, if, there's a fourth day there, a Monday, in Sligo / northwest I'll happily do it.

Can't wait to finally have more time than money again! home improvement thread will get more action!

So in reality there hasn't been enough work in the northwest so far the last 10 months. So I've been doing mon-Thurs
in Dublin and often finishing in Sligo Thursday afternoon so I was 90mins home then. But mostly I wasn't getting home until 8pm on Thursday which is balls.

it has taken its toll;
Have had enough of spending 4 nights a week in my parents attic and not being home long enough to get necessary house works completed. That and I feel like I'm not properly living in my own house I bought among other things.

Convinced work to let me go down to 3 days a week in Dublin. And, if, there's a fourth day there, a Monday, in Sligo / northwest I'll happily do it.

Can't wait to finally have more time than money again! home improvement thread will get more action!
What's your gig, Ernesto?

many years ago, a chap i know faked a shitload of info on his CV and got called for an interview in microsoft; they copped quickly enough during the interview and rather than saying 'we're ending this, this is a waste of time', they bollocked him out of it like a bold child and warned him they could have him blacklisted with all job agencies they deal with. kept him there for a few minutes like that.

and i've just remembered that time i went for an interview for a job in MS - in 2000, i think, i think a helpdesk or deskside job, and the technical guy asked me 'can you give me an example of hwo you've shown problem solving in a technical context?'
i was most of the way into, 'actually, i recently just worked out an easy way to get admin rights in NT4 even if you've only got normal user privileges' when he leaned back rapidly on his chair (so the HR lady couldn't see him) and violently made that neck chopping/stop what you're saying motion.

he apologised to me after, when she was not there - you do *not* make any mention of flaws in MS products when in interviews, as i should have copped.

These are class stories

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back