Your work situation (2 Viewers)

We're having a virtual social thing for work, and I'm currently listening a lightning talk by 2 young women about how the Twilight series is "problematic". Fuck me. I had to turn off my camera so nobody would see me rolling my eyes
And now I'm in a zoom with a load of Indians, and they're playing a game where you sing a verse of a song, and then someone from the other team has to sing a different song starting with the last letter of the previous one. It' amazing! These folks know zillions of songs! I think this game might work in Ireland too

which on the face of it showed they had completely divorced the cost of buying a car from the cost of owning one.

Totally - I've not crunched the numbers but In my case it looks like over the course of my mortgage i'll spend more on cars than i have on a house. It's possibly the most expensive thing anyone owns these days.

And now I'm in a zoom with a load of Indians, and they're playing a game where you sing a verse of a song, and then someone from the other team has to sing a different song starting with the last letter of the previous one. It' amazing! These folks know zillions of songs! I think this game might work in Ireland too
Sounds like a nightmare

i read an article a while back (which i'm not going to look for now) which claimed that one reason cars (beemers in particular, with their stupid hamster teeth grilles) have gone a bit off the deep end styling wise, is because the target market for that styling now is the chinese/far eastern market. for people who grew up on manga and the like; the argument made was they would not find the styling as stupid as we do.

cars in general though seem to be getting way more fussy. i think its one of the reasons audis don't age as badly as other brands, they seem to evolve more slowly.
That was me

i read an article a while back (which i'm not going to look for now) which claimed that one reason cars (beemers in particular, with their stupid hamster teeth grilles) have gone a bit off the deep end styling wise, is because the target market for that styling now is the chinese/far eastern market. for people who grew up on manga and the like; the argument made was they would not find the styling as stupid as we do.

cars in general though seem to be getting way more fussy. i think its one of the reasons audis don't age as badly as other brands, they seem to evolve more slowly.

Yeah their design cues are taken from the Chinese market now.
Aborted transformers looking heaps of shite

Yeah all the whiles Audi cars continue to look decent

working hard. exploiting people. wasting the planet's resources.
so they have the capital to waste on luxury crap.
that's capitalism for ya.
I am not disagreeing with you, but I'm really not sure what the alternative is
We make stuff that people need badly and the dude owns the whole company and it's been his life's work
And we're working toward everything we do being net zero

Maybe there shouldn't be billionaires or BMWs or anything like that and I'm just so close to it that I can't see an alternative
But every other system economic raped the planet just as bad, it seems to me

I honestly don't know

I would rather die.

I’d hate to derail this motoring thread too much but any of you ever pack it all in and become a stay-at-home dad? Asking for a friend.
My dad was a sahd in the 80s-90s. He built a shed out the back and worked there, while my mam went off to work.
It suited them, but there was definitely a lot less supervision and general minding involved than now.
Basically we were half feral.

I still haven't had a job since 1995.

Two 30th anniversaries came up this year:
Leaving school - 4 May 1993.
And finishing working on a pig farm on either 22 or 23 September 1993.

I had spent most of that year being depressed but after quitting that job I never suffered any depression worth talking about again.

In return for not having to take medication and having better focus and concentration etc. I would be prepared to try three days a week working alone on something of my choice for the same benefit money I get now.
I wouldn't be prepared to work five days a week for anything except survival.

I’d hate to derail this motoring thread too much but any of you ever pack it all in and become a stay-at-home dad? Asking for a friend.
2 of my friends are SAHDs - one works part-time, the other doesn't. They seem cool with it. When our kids were little Mrs. egg_ was "obviously you'd go mad staying at home with the kids rather than working", so she went part-time in her meaningful well-paid job while I continued full-time in my worse-paid job that I hated. Eventually I found my way to a meaningful well-paid job myself, but it took quite a while

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back