Your work situation (4 Viewers)

The boss just bought one of these

This means we are having an ok year and I can be somewhat nervy about asking for a raise

The boss just bought one of these

This means we are having an ok year and I can be somewhat nervy about asking for a raise

Gross.

These people with the money so rarely have any decent taste

23.74 UK mpg

BMW Alpina B8 Gran Coupe on-the-road prices RRP from £140,515.

I could get at least 35 of my car for that money. Free cars for thumped subscribers ftw.

Like technically i understand - their peers have the B7 and you got to go one better or GTFO.

But holy fuck.

Curious -

So most budgeting guides have transport around 10-15% of income.

presuming this guy has got some BMW service package and burns petrol at more than twice the rate i do (because thats what it does) he'd be wanting to be making 1.2million a year to justify this*.

*if it's his only car.

cheer me up be telling me he is dumb with money

Curious -

So most budgeting guides have transport around 10-15% of income.

presuming this guy has got some BMW service package and burns petrol at more than twice the rate i do (because thats what it does) he'd be wanting to be making 1.2million a year to justify this*.

*if it's his only car.

cheer me up be telling me he is dumb with money

It's the owner of the company and I think he's a billionaire. Or close enough that it makes no material difference
I heard yesterday that he got this because the car dealer couldn't get him a Maybach
He has a bunch of cars. One of them's an Aston Martin. The world is not entirely fair.

Nice bloke. Very driven. No pun intended.

My direct boss just got a 60k yoke. So your 15% thing tallies with what I reckon he makes.

I drive a 2008 van. But only about 4 or 5 times per month.

Gross.

These people with the money so rarely have any decent taste
i read an article a while back (which i'm not going to look for now) which claimed that one reason cars (beemers in particular, with their stupid hamster teeth grilles) have gone a bit off the deep end styling wise, is because the target market for that styling now is the chinese/far eastern market. for people who grew up on manga and the like; the argument made was they would not find the styling as stupid as we do.

cars in general though seem to be getting way more fussy. i think its one of the reasons audis don't age as badly as other brands, they seem to evolve more slowly.

Cars in general though seem to be getting way more fussy. i think its one of the reasons audis don't age as badly as other brands, they seem to evolve more slowly.

There is the whole common platform thing going now - like VW have one toolkit that makes about 30 models across the range - and it's designed so you can redo the headlights or panels often with minumum retooling, therefore making your 3 year old golf look shit next to someones new one.
Toyota moved the prius on to thier corolla/million other cars platform recently. Selling less audi/lexus for higher markup while it essentially being a golf/corolla with a jacket on is where the money is made. Small cars don't have great markup for the manufacturers.
The evolution rate will probably be based around a sales target.

yeah, i read that because of those changes in manufacturing. the extra cost required to build big cars has come down, narrowing the difference in production cost between big and small cars - but they can still sell the big cars for big money, which is why they're pushing them so much.
we need a tax on weight and height of cars.

when I was a kid I thought BMWs were shit cool.
this was the one I wanted - BMW 635 (1976-1989)
loadsa photos of it on the link.
a combination of BMW changing the styling of the front of their cars circa 89/90 and me growing up and losing interest in cars completely meant I thought BMWs looked shit after that point.
I still can't drive and have zilch interest in learning.

many people have a blind spot about cars. i had people telling me when my last car was about 11 years old 'just get a new one, it'll cost you too much to keep that on the road', which on the face of it showed they had completely divorced the cost of buying a car from the cost of owning one.

I don't think people ever actually do their sums on that shit. Our last car (a Kia Ce'ed) was costing around a grand in repairs a year. A brand new one is at least 26K, which means it'd need to last 26 years to save us money compared to keeping the old one

(we did get a new one (an EV), but that was because having it break all the time was annoying, not because I imagined it'd save us money)

Do people really believe the hype? Fancy cars are just peacock's tail's, right?

yeah thats the hype.

I spotted a huge blind spot in myself this week. I was humming and hawing over a cycling jacket - one was about 50eu and one was 100andsomething. Meanwhile I'm spending 100eu a week on a car, almost all of which is getting burned or consumed in some way. A good cycling jacket might realistically cost me a fiver a week over three years, in which i'll get home drier and healthier and happier every time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back