Your work situation (7 Viewers)

Just booked two weeks in a row off for the first time in over a decade

Gonna drive randomly around the south of Italy with a beautiful woman, fly to Berlin and run the marathon (and crush it)
Then go climbing in the alps with my ex's family who live there
Life's too fecking short to not do this stuff

Went in to my VP to let him know - hey that request is two full weeks

Dunno how I let it get to this, but here we are sure

Got drafted in to help on a project proposal due on Friday cos this dude is on his holiday this week

Proposal originally due on Aug 25th - extended by one week

This guy expected he'd have it done and head off on his holliers
Anyways, he's such a maniac - he's answering every single email while not here - quicker than I can even get to them
Dunno what he's telling his missus.

I'm happy enough about it, makes life easier for me
But taht is not me - when I am gone, I am goonnnnnne

In my job, the Irish side of booking annual leave has always been very much seen as a "request". There was/is every chance you will not get it if it doesn't suit the company. We were quite taken aback when we realised that the employees from other countries just booked their leave and we had to work to accommodate it.
I've never had leave refused, nor have I refused anyone theirs.

But I worked in an American company where we, as managers, were told not to approve peoples' leave requests if it would impact their performance. It was them basically telling us to try and dissuade people from taking holidays because how could your performance not be impacted by your not actually being there. And they covered this utter scam up by giving us unlimited leave. So the message was, you have all the leave you want, just don't take any of it.

And I saw someone being given total shit for taking 3 weeks leave. They were europe-based but his bosses were in america.

I always pushed my people to take their leave. The yanks I managed couldn't believe their luck. Didn't stop them being pricks though

I hate that shit. I wouldn't care if there was a live babadook in the work mail when i come back. thats a work time problem.

Also - while knowing nothing of the situation - I think this 24/7 dedication that people are at is actual awful time managment. I was inspired to think this by the genius phone lady

She has this on her website where she sells the phones.

Why do we build particle accelerators? Why do we have restaurants? Why do we go to work every day? We think we go to our respective jobs all day, every day, to make money. But the point is to be happy. That's it. A restaurateur wants to make money so they can have a home and feed their family and do the things they want to do. An engineer working on a space ship goes to work to make money so they can have a home and feed their family and do the things they want to do. The fact that civilization has set up a system whereby we exchange money to make things happen and make everyone go to work in the process doesn't change that the end result of work is supposed to be happiness.
Space travel, quarterly profits, production quotas... none of it really matters. It's just a game. It's giving us all something to do while we're here on Earth. We need to fool ourselves into thinking that's not the case insofar as it's necessary to keep the game running, but we must also remind ourselves from time to time that deep down, the satisfaction, self growth, and happiness are the only really important things, and the instant a job gets to be artificially stressful (e.g. due to artifices of bureaucracy and not from challenges intrinsic to the work), the managers have steered the organization poorly.
~Justine Haupt

In my place you're expected to have your shit handled when you go on holidays
You can't leave a mess for others to be cleaning up

It's relatively easy. Talk to colleagues and ask them what they expect before you're gone.
It's all reciprocated.

I just had two half-weeks off and I'm taking three weeks in September (going to Georgia). I can't wait to not go to work for three weeks.
The US state or the country?

Gotta be nervous over there with Russia up to its old invading-neighbours lark

They've got the TransCuacasian Trail running through there. Looks amazing.

I just had two half-weeks off and I'm taking three weeks in September (going to Georgia). I can't wait to not go to work for three weeks.

A mate of mine was in Tsibili or whatever it is last week and loved it.
His photos made the place look amazing. Food looked surprisingly great aswell.
He's in Armenia now which also looks class but in a more deprived soviet way though

The US state or the country?

Gotta be nervous over there with Russia up to its old invading-neighbours lark

They've got the TransCuacasian Trail running through there. Looks amazing.
The country, but I'm going there to see it as it was in Soviet films of the 60s and 70s, not the way it is now. I'm very nervous about the mountain roads

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back