You know you're getting old.... (2 Viewers)

That's a natural part of exploring something though. You think you don't like it, hear something that grabs your interest and start digging from there
true that.

It used to just bug me the attitude that if you weren't listening exclusively to, like, Crass and Rudimentary Peni then you (I) were told you didn't like punk. If you weren't listening exclusively to black metal then you were told you didn't like metal. It felt very purist to me, while a lot of my favourite stuff was the opposite of purist and was mixing all sorts of things together.

Probably just my experience/friend group as a teenager. It's amazing what sticks with you over the years though. Let it go Lili.

true that.

It used to just bug me the attitude that if you weren't listening exclusively to, like, Crass and Rudimentary Peni then you (I) were told you didn't like punk. If you weren't listening exclusively to black metal then you were told you didn't like metal. It felt very purist to me, while a lot of my favourite stuff was the opposite of purist and was mixing all sorts of things together.

Probably just my experience/friend group as a teenager. It's amazing what sticks with you over the years though. Let it go Lili.
I don't like much modern genres of music from the last 30 years plus (my own generation) so I listen to a fairly narrow range of modern stuff.
but I have found lots of old genres I love and including plenty of popular stuff. of course I check lots of new things (inc a lot of things posted on thumped) but my generation onwards weren't very original and generally not in a good way.
listening to 50-100 artists and a barely liking anything is really frustrating but it's been that way for as long as I remember.

BUT if I read about something and can't imagine what it sounds like then I get excited and go listen to it immediately. But unfortunately that doesn't happen often.

Rudimentary Peni like say The Big Boys (their p-funk influenced stuff), Flipper, The Proletariat, Wipers etc didn't fit in with established norms in the punk scene but they are all landmark bands that I can't imagine not having existed.

Rudimentary Peni like say The Big Boys (their p-funk influenced stuff), Flipper, The Proletariat, Wipers etc didn't fit in with established norms in the punk scene but they are all landmark bands that I can't imagine not having existed.
No issues with any of these bands (not that i've heard them all) themselves, I quite like RP actually, I was just choosing them as an example. The internet changed everything of course, my generation were teenagers as it happened. Really easy to be a dick about someone liking popular bands when you have the internet and they don't.

When your favourite comedians start popping Their clogs
Or your old friends :(

I've often wondered about how all the party animals in my wider social circle have managed to escape major health issues and/or debilitating addiction, and guessed it was because none of them ever got socially isolated or ran into money trouble

... but then one of them died on Sunday. Lost control of his drinking during lockdown (or maybe it just became more obvious), wife left him and took the kids, found dead in his gaff. Pretty bummed out about it, would never really have expected it of him - high-powered job, spoke 4 languages, real big-hearted fun guy with a zillion friends all over Europe, seriously into his music. Actually wrote a verse (in German) for a song on the first Stoat album. Just 3 years older than myself

Last edited:

I've often wondered about how all the party animals in my wider social circle have managed to escape major health issues and/or debilitating addiction, and guessed it was because none of them ever got socially isolated or ran into money trouble

... but then one of them died on Sunday. Lost control of his drinking during lockdown (or maybe it just became more obvious), wife left him and took the kids, found dead in his gaff. Pretty bummed out about it, would never really have expected it of him - high-powered job, spoke 4 languages, real big-hearted fun guy with a zillion friends all over Europe, seriously into his music. Actually wrote a verse (in German) for a song on the first Stoat album. Just 3 years older than myself
Jesus, sorry about your friend

Jesus that fuckin sucks man, really sorry to hear that

Hearing about the shit happening in town is putting me off going near the city centre.

I keep thinking of this

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back