You know you're getting old.... (4 Viewers)

It’s a fucking banger, get out of here grandpa.
FAKE BLACK METAL!
their first LP was death metal and had the word 'soulside' in the title.
also they said anti semitic stuff prior to the album's release and rather than drop them Hammy Peaceville only refused to promote the LP.
that an LP that got a lot of publicity at the time and was easy to get ends up being worth a four figure amount of money is strange. I suppose a lot of people bought it on CD?!

FAKE BLACK METAL!
their first LP was death metal and had the word 'soulside' in the title.
also they said anti semitic stuff prior to the album's release and rather than drop them Hammy Peaceville only refused to promote the LP.
that an LP that got a lot of publicity at the time and was easy to get ends up being worth a four figure amount of money is strange. I suppose a lot of people bought it on CD?!
I hadn’t realised that and I’ve just looked it up and Varg Vikernes wrote half the lyrics for Transilvanian Hunger. Pity about that as Fenriz seems pretty bang on now.

I am now thinking what's the line an artist needs to cross for me to not listen to them anymore? This is obviously dodgy but not as dodgy as Varg's continuing adventures in being a fascist dickhead, and I sold all my Burzum albums years ago as I didn't feel right having them anymore. I feel some of the stuff can get a pass if it's clearly a case of being a dumb teenager trying to get a rise out of people (and we've been singing Repulsion's praise but didn't they have a line about "faggot zombies" on Horrified?). Then bands like Throbbing Gristle where they used lots of fascist imagery, stuff about serial killers, etc. but managed to do it without it being a glorification or endorsement.

I am now thinking what's the line an artist needs to cross for me to not listen to them anymore? This is obviously dodgy but not as dodgy as Varg's continuing adventures in being a fascist dickhead, and I sold all my Burzum albums years ago as I didn't feel right having them anymore. I feel some of the stuff can get a pass if it's clearly a case of being a dumb teenager trying to get a rise out of people (and we've been singing Repulsion's praise but didn't they have a line about "faggot zombies" on Horrified?). Then bands like Throbbing Gristle where they used lots of fascist imagery, stuff about serial killers, etc. but managed to do it without it being a glorification or endorsement.
I still listen to....

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

(except the first track)

edit...

not forgetting this ummm classic

Last edited:
Real South American BLACK METAL
MYSTIFIER - Tormenting The Holy Trinity 1989

MYSTIFIER - T.E.A.R. (The Evil Ascension Returns) EP 1990

these lads were from the NW of Brasil rather than rich whiter south of the country where most metal bands come from. their later lineup supported Rotting Christ at the Voodoo Lounge about 2018.
they later moved away from BM for death metal because they were sick of racist European bands.

Euronymus was pen pals with a lot of South American bands and despite whatever flaws he had doesn't seem to have been racist like the likes of Varg who was about 5 years younger and were influenced by the pagan lyrics that Bathory (?) seems to have introduced to metal.

HADEZ from Lima were a band Euronymus offered a record deal in April 1990 a few weeks after Dead killed himself. nothing came of it but the band reprinted the letter on the reissues of their demos.
HADEZ - Passport To Hell (1989)

HADEZ first rehearsal demo from 1986 is particularly crazy like noise grind stuff.

HADEZ often played gigs with hardcore punk bands in Lima back then.

and don't get me started on on all the 80's bands from Medellin like PARABELLUM.
several times I've seen old Medellin folks asked about the letters they used to get from Dead and Euroynmus who was also a huge fan of SARCOFAGO.

I never got into the Norwegian BM scene apart from owning a handful of obscure later releases.
like most people I never heard of Norwegian BM until 1993 but particularly after Euronymus was murdered in August 1993 it was all over the metal press and even MTV etc covered it.
Darkthrone and Varg said openly racist things in 1993 that completely put me off.
being into Satan or Odin or whatever is as pointless as any other religion.

I was stunned when Varg was released even mainstream non metal mags like Record Collector reviewed his records or even took adverts for his work and metal mags were happy to interview him - WTF?

my equivalent of this was getting into grindcore at that time 1993 was the tolerance of sexist or homophobic bands (the scene was very international so racism wasn't a problem).
bands that should have known better (inc w/ politically minded lyrics) would sometimes do split EP's w/ really ignorant bands. Usually I wouldn't buy these records but sometimes I would get caught out when it was a band I didn't know and this still happens but rarely.
I got into noisy metal got into through hardcore and grind. apart from my brother's records I didn't listen to metal growing up. the grindcore guitar sound and gory lyrics come from metal but I think most of grind's roots are in hardcore with REPULSION in the vanguard of the metal end of things.

I'd class myself as a classic wimp who heard little growing up to excited about but after a late start threw myself into noisy obscure stuff and later found lots old more popular genres that I love as well.

Real South American BLACK METAL
MYSTIFIER - Tormenting The Holy Trinity 1989

MYSTIFIER - T.E.A.R. (The Evil Ascension Returns) EP 1990

these lads were from the NW of Brasil rather than rich whiter south of the country where most metal bands come from. their later lineup supported Rotting Christ at the Voodoo Lounge about 2018.
they later moved away from BM for death metal because they were sick of racist European bands.

Euronymus was pen pals with a lot of South American bands and despite whatever flaws he had doesn't seem to have been racist like the likes of Varg who was about 5 years younger and were influenced by the pagan lyrics that Bathory (?) seems to have introduced to metal.

HADEZ from Lima were a band Euronymus offered a record deal in April 1990 a few weeks after Dead killed himself. nothing came of it but the band reprinted the letter on the reissues of their demos.
HADEZ - Passport To Hell (1989)

HADEZ first rehearsal demo from 1986 is particularly crazy like noise grind stuff.

HADEZ often played gigs with hardcore punk bands in Lima back then.

and don't get me started on on all the 80's bands from Medellin like PARABELLUM.
several times I've seen old Medellin folks asked about the letters they used to get from Dead and Euroynmus who was also a huge fan of SARCOFAGO.

I never got into the Norwegian BM scene apart from owning a handful of obscure later releases.
like most people I never heard of Norwegian BM until 1993 but particularly after Euronymus was murdered in August 1993 it was all over the metal press and even MTV etc covered it.
Darkthrone and Varg said openly racist things in 1993 that completely put me off.
being into Satan or Odin or whatever is as pointless as any other religion.

I was stunned when Varg was released even mainstream non metal mags like Record Collector reviewed his records or even took adverts for his work and metal mags were happy to interview him - WTF?

my equivalent of this was getting into grindcore at that time 1993 was the tolerance of sexist or homophobic bands (the scene was very international so racism wasn't a problem).
bands that should have known better (inc w/ politically minded lyrics) would sometimes do split EP's w/ really ignorant bands. Usually I wouldn't buy these records but sometimes I would get caught out when it was a band I didn't know and this still happens but rarely.
I got into noisy metal got into through hardcore and grind. apart from my brother's records I didn't listen to metal growing up. the grindcore guitar sound and gory lyrics come from metal but I think most of grind's roots are in hardcore with REPULSION in the vanguard of the metal end of things.

I'd class myself as a classic wimp who heard little growing up to excited about but after a late start threw myself into noisy obscure stuff and later found lots old more popular genres that I love as well.

I had a listen, tbh, most of this stuff just makes me laugh.
The heaviest I got in my metal days was Sepultura, Pantera, some Death, morbid angel ect.....it sounds like pop music next to this.

I had a listen, tbh, most of this stuff just makes me laugh.
The heaviest I got in my metal days was Sepultura, Pantera, some Death, morbid angel ect.....it sounds like pop music next to this.
fair play for trying something different anyway, yer a good sport.
speaking of Brasil and Sepultura... their early stuff is some of the first death metal.
some great live footage of them from 85 and 86 on youtube

SEPULTURA - Bestial Devastation (live 1986)

And remember folks just 'cause you've gone though your Kate Bush, MBV, Slint, Fugazi, Yo La Tengo, Aphex Twin, Redneck Manifesto phase doesn't preclude you from enjoying some🤘🤘

It's like all laddish things, it turns into who can like the most extreme and antagonistic version of the form. It can go very insular and stamp collector-y.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back