Why is guitar virtuosity frowned upon? (1 Viewer)

Does all music have to be song based?

My phase of being into "shred" passed a long time ago. I do still love the first 4 Satriani albums, passion & warfare & Alien love secrets by Steve Vai, Eric Johnson, Tones & a via musicom, Early Malmsteen (probably the most naturally talented of them all, but also the most complacent) A couple of other things. I really like hearing someone pushing what can be done on an instrument.

Having said that my favourite band is probably the pixies.

Vai's early stuff is incredible. Vai with Zappa, also incredible, but for the most part, just reading charts.
Virtuosity is only frowned upon by people who aren't virtuosos, and then, they make excuses like, 'oh, there's no playing from the heart' and al that bullshit. Nothing wrong with trying to become as brilliant as you can on your chosen instrument. Anything else is just a copout and a lack of dedication.

I seen Joe Bonamassa on sky arts a while ago. He borrows a lot from Eric Johnson. Who must have borrowed his jacket from adam ant.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Van Halen
first two Dave Lee Roth records
George Lynch (Dokken)
Malmsteens Rising Force(not heard this in years though)
Deep Purple (proto shred?)

All really really awesome.

Loads of guitar players in thrash bands probably fall int o shred territory as well.

i like acoustic shredders on anything with strings - guitar, kora, santoor, violin (do you have to pluck to shred?)

i remember at the david grubbs gig in '98 the two lads behind me were pretty scornful of his skills, accusing him of 'look-at-me!' guitar playing.

not this gig but a few months before:

I think if a lot the shred guys were to switch to acoustic guitars some opinions would change. Take Rodrigo y Gabriela, if they were playing the same thing on distorted electric guitars most of the chin strokers and artsy types would dismiss it as awful heavy metal.

I went through a phase of trying (and failing) to learn the chicken picking guitar style

I was told if I could learn every lick in Country Boy that's all I'd ever need to know

must try again some day

I learned that to play a guest slot with a popular urban country act one time.

I however was the only one that did learn it so it did'nt happen.

I forgot it again so I would say yer not missing much

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back