Why is guitar virtuosity frowned upon? (1 Viewer)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Yep, it sounds shite.
For the record, if I was to select a solo that treads the fine line between melodic and cool and difficult as opposed to just pure wank, it'd be the solo of Rikki Don't Lose That Number - Steely Dan.

It's the same as piano virtuosity. The outro to Layla for example is simple enough even for me to play but contains way more emotion than some widdly piece from Schubert or one of those.

(God I sound like a right philistine)

I've always liked a lot of different approaches. I don't think guitar should only be played one way. I love simple playing as well, way more in fact, but a bit of widdly can be cool as well. Most guitarist I know seem to write it all off.

I couldn't listen to a whole album of Steve Vai or Joe Satriani but appreciate they are good at what they do.
This kind of thing is very silly but good fun, and this guy seems to be enjoying every minute of it

Where virtuosity and pop cool meet you get this.
All 4 musicians at the top of their game. Pure awesomenessicity.

Good technique is one thing but the combination of virtuoso technique and the ability to make interesting music is very rare and so almost all of this "shred" is shite, as everyone says.

Also, I suspect when you play mad difficult stuff (which I can't do, and so don't know what I'm talking about here) there must be a physical thrill to it too, something like adrenaline - wow, i'm playing this, don't fuck up etc. Exciting for the player but a bit like watching skateboarders for everyone else

I could listen to Django Reinhardt, Tommy Emmanuelle, Albert Lee etc all day

They all play really fast with millions of notes but it's easier on the ear than the overdriven, distorted shred sound

wow, I'm an old man

Being a virtuoso is very rarely frowned upon.

Feeling the need demonstrate your virtuosity again and again and again and again because you're completely artless is often frowned upon.

That's right-

I went through a phase of trying (and failing) to learn the chicken picking guitar style

I was told if I could learn every lick in Country Boy that's all I'd ever need to know

must try again some day

In fairness it can't be that frowned upon if pretty much every virtuoso with a shred of charisma has either a decent living as a solo artist despite having no songs of note or only doing cover versions or else a career as a session musician.
I don't know a single Steve Vai tune. He has his own signature line of guitars. That's not "frowned upon".

When I think of 'shredding' I think of the guy with the bad wig and the double neck guitar in the 'stupidly good guitar playing' thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back