Where is the best place in the world to live? (2 Viewers)

I'm sort of trapped in Dublin because everyone I love lives there. The weather here is seriously getting me down. I'd like to try Dorset or something - Billy is that where you live?

ive often thought that it'd be deadly to live in a beautiful rural area near the sea, preferably on either the sheepshead or beara peninsulas, but at the same time i dont think im really cut out to live in such places, i'll have to make do with holidays

the beara peninsula is ridiculously beautiful.

i'm testing my hypothesis that having fewer entertainment options means you do and make instead of watching other people do and make. don't know if it plays out longterm or if being cut off leads to stagnation, but it's proving to be totally true.

its certainly hard to find the time and energy to get stuck into something creative if your stuck in the rat race and spending half your free time battling public transport. ideally i'd like to work maybe 6 months of the year in a nice city (with regular long weekends etc), spend some time in my house in west cork being creative and finishing stuff i was doing back in the evenings back in the city, and also i'd like to spend a few months each year overseas seeing the world. i dont think thats too much to ask

the mother has a bit of a field on the beara peninsula where i could pitch a tent but its miles to the nearest pub or shop

its certainly hard to find the time and energy to get stuck into something creative if your stuck in the rat race and spending half your free time battling public transport. ideally i'd like to work maybe 6 months of the year in a nice city (with regular long weekends etc), spend some time in my house in west cork being creative and finishing stuff i was doing back in the evenings back in the city, and also i'd like to spend a few months each year overseas seeing the world. i dont think thats too much to ask

the mother has a bit of a field on the beara peninsula where i could pitch a tent but its miles to the nearest pub or shop

I lived on Sherkin Island (West Cork) for 4 months.
It was the best 4 months of my life.

There is nowhere in the world that I have seen that is more beautiful than a sunny day out and around that area.
I love a good few spots in the West of Ireland in the winter too, watching the storms crashing in.
The only sea board I have seen comparable in ferocity to the West of Ireland is the Pacific side of Patagonian Chile just near Cape Horn.
The winter storms off the west are epic. I've seen surf paddlers eaten by a wave vanish for 30 seconds, before surfacing like the Hunt For Red October. Lads have told me I have been on wave faces 2 1/2 times the length of a seven foot boat. There's been a number of times I've been out there and thought, ahhh right, this is how people get killed at sea.

How can you not love that.

hopeless romanticism wont get you anywhere

grozny2600d_belyakov.jpg

I lived on Sherkin Island (West Cork) for 4 months.
It was the best 4 months of my life.

There is nowhere in the world that I have seen that is more beautiful than a sunny day out and around that area.

Jeremy Paxman has holidayed there - supposed to be lovely. The island I mean. Maybe he's lovely too.

I was in Maine there for the last 10 days.
Fairly deadly so it is. The farther north you get the nicer it seems. Portland seemed like a good place to live alright, and an hour away from it you are in the middle of serious wilderness. Amazing surf and river paddling, deadly cycling roads and nice hiking places.
The missus and myself were camping on Hermit Island and rented a couple of sea kayaks and paddled them a few miles down the coast, in and out of the little natural harbors and bays and things.
Then we drove down to Bar Harbor, and camped on Desert Island. More amazing paddling there. Every other car seemed to have sea kayaks on it.
Lovely coast, and the inland looks really nice too.

I am just going to have to find a job out there now...

Sounds good to me. You are welcome to stay in our place in Boston whenever you need your city fix. When we get a place in Boston, that is. Eventually, I really would like to move to Portland, but I'm gonna have to be established enough in my job to be able to justify not being at anyone's beck and call.

At least I might get to spend some time there if I go to the Salt Institute. I'm still thinking of saving up some dosh and going on one of their courses, but one of the alumni I spoke with said it might be too elementary for me. I don't think so, though. I think what they offer is exactly what I need.

I'd feel old, though. Most of the people who go on their courses are under 30.

And Mr Jane would need to find a job he likes. So Boston first, then we move north. Maybe. Fingers crossed.

Apparently the weather is shitey and depressing in Portland and Boston is full of sports-obsessed "jackasses". This is according to some Americans I know who are looking to move somewhere. The guy would love Portland but the girl couldn't stand the dreary weather.

I'd love to emigrate to Berlin or Montreal..

You can fly to Montreal now for 300/400 rtn with some new airline and it only takes 5/6 hrs. That's very appealing.

Can't remember the name though..

Apparently the weather is shitey and depressing in Portland and Boston is full of sports-obsessed "jackasses". This is according to some Americans I know who are looking to move somewhere. The guy would love Portland but the girl couldn't stand the dreary weather.

We call them meatheads, douchebags or fratboys or whatever. It depends where you live, but unfortunately, one of the advantages of Boston is also one of its failings. The huge number of colleges and universities makes a lot of things very awesome, but they also bring shitty fucking fratboy-types who are better off muzzled. You stay away from Lansdowne Street (the street of bars that's right near Fenway Park), or you make sure you check the Red Sox game calendar before you go anywhere near there or Kenmore Square. It's like Temple Bar on a bad night. Same goes for anywhere around North Station when the Bruins or Celtics are playing. Not so big a problem with football, since their stadium is outside the city. Basically, any city that has a centrally located sports arena is going to have sports pricks crawling around doing kegstands on the hood of your car.

That element of Boston makes me gag. But it is everywhere, unless you move to a city without a sports team, or whose arena/stadium/park is way outside the city. In which case, it is probably a city that doesn't have an awesome and cool vibe to it. Like one of those cities with an expansion team, which is a fake baseball team that thinks it's real but doesn't fucking count.

OMG, sorry. I'm a Sox fan. I really am. I hate other Sox fans, like all Sox fans, and judge their behaviour scornfully. We're so fucking catholic like that.

Portland is GORGEOUS.

Let's all move all the sound people to Portland! The weather isn't THAT bad. The Thumped Yanks can start companies and we can hire yiz all to do jobs, and then we can all live in a happy real-life internet. And the crusties can eat out of our garbage bins, and we'll all live happily ever after. Whaddya say?

There's a Portland in Dorset too - it's where Hardy sets 'The Well-beloved'. Muckross House was made from portland stone. Ok, now I'm out of facts.

No takers on Dorset then? It seems to be competing with Cormac's Swords for the wooden spoon in this thread.

There's a Portland in Dorset too - it's where Hardy sets 'The Well-beloved'. Muckross House was made from portland stone. Ok, now I'm out of facts.

No takers on Dorset then? It seems to be competing with Cormac's Swords for the wooden spoon in this thread.

I'd pick Devon or Cornwall over it in that part of the uk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back