Where is the best place in the world to live? (2 Viewers)

I had quite the long post there, but I shan't post it. Maybe I should've been a city planner though. I'm not dissing Swords as much as saying that the planning of Dublin has been unbelievably small-minded, under-achieving, lazy, greedy, criminally cynical in recent years, and just generally shit. And it goes a long way toward explaining, I think, why Dublin is shit compared to anywhere that can be called a "real city".

The problem with Dublin is it's not an urban city, it's a suburban city. That makes anything past the city centre and inner city really hard to know if you're from a different part of the city - most of the south side is a grey blur to me and I've lived in the outer suburbs and city all my life. Town I know like the back of my hand (my Dubbellin) but you'd be hard pressed to need to go to the suburbs because apart from local services, there's nothing in the majority of them to draw a non-resident. That's why people think it's a tiny city, when in reality it's a sprawling, confusing mess. With shit transport, which also closes it off from us.

All that is very valid and corrent (the unregulated sprawl, the absolute lack of any will to make it a more compact, denser and liveable city) but it doesn't equal a city with a menacing and violent undercurrent everywhere you go at all times.
Oh I dunno. You'll all lunatics.

All that is very valid and corrent (the unregulated sprawl, the absolute lack of any will to make it a more compact, denser and liveable city) but it doesn't equal a city with a menacing and violent undercurrent everywhere you go at all times.
Oh I dunno. You'll all lunatics.

Young Tory post alert:

No, there is a large, very undesirable element in this city, one which has the most outrageously breathtaking sense of self-entitlement. I think (I hope) now there's starting to be a bit of a turning tide about it and the reason Jane is so vocal is because she's not from here, and not as inured to it as the rest of us. It took us longer to cop on basically. I'm not going to go into the whys and wherefores of what makes people the way they are - I'm only outlining the net result of their behaviour.

But I am sick to death of people on public transport and on the street, who think nothing of screaming abuse at others - especially those who look foreign - and behaving in a completely feral and unacceptable manner and no one ever challenging them on it because they're scared to.

We're in the process of decamping from the inner city because of it, and I'm sure a lot of other people are sick to the back teeth of it too. Question is, how, or what, can be done about it?

Why not though?
You have to weigh up what you have to gain (uncertain) with what you have to lose (more clear.)
I moved out here for a girl. I dont particularly like America per se. I dont particularly like NYC even. I find the area in which I live to be an uncomfortable and slightly corrosive. I find the majority of the people to be nice, but ultimately not really my type. I feel slightly trapped and I miss my family.

I still dont regret it.

Maybe because I did not have that much to lose, or maybe because I think new experiences are worth having, working in Manhattan for a few years is interesting, seeing a place like this is worth doing.
I dont really know why, but I dont. I have new perspectives on things, I am a more open minded person, and probably a better person.

Plus, I'm pretty happy with my other half, and she's pretty happy with me.

Go. If it all goes to shit, fuck it. There are planes. You can leave.

Why not though?
You have to weigh up what you have to gain (uncertain) with what you have to lose (more clear.)

I feel slightly trapped and I miss my family.

Maybe because I did not have that much to lose, or maybe because I think new experiences are worth having

I agree with all of this... as I've done it a few times in my life.

Why not though?
I moved out here for a girl. I dont particularly like America per se. I dont particularly like NYC even. I find the area in which I live to be an uncomfortable and slightly corrosive. I find the majority of the people to be nice, but ultimately not really my type. I feel slightly trapped and I miss my family.

I still dont regret it.

Maybe because I did not have that much to lose, or maybe because I think new experiences are worth having, working in Manhattan for a few years is interesting, seeing a place like this is worth doing.
I dont really know why, but I dont. I have new perspectives on things, I am a more open minded person, and probably a better person.

I did this. Except she doesn't actually want to live in England. Or Ireland.
Mars is looking more and more tempting every day.

Why not though?

I still dont regret it.

aw. Well, thats changed my mind.

But I am sick to death of people on public transport and on the street, who think nothing of screaming abuse at others - especially those who look foreign - and behaving in a completely feral and unacceptable manner and no one ever challenging them on it because they're scared to.

that happens outside dublin too.

California%20-%20San%20Francisco%20Painted%20Ladies%20Hz.jpg

china-hong-kong.jpg

queenstown1.jpg

sydney_gal1.jpg

just to chime in with the sf recommendations. i've been here a year and a half and it's a fantastic place to live. probably the best place i've ever lived. loads to do, great shows/record shops, good weather, people have an open mind generally. there are always peaves with wherever you live so i'm not going to get into negatives.

just to chime in with the sf recommendations. i've been here a year and a half and it's a fantastic place to live. probably the best place i've ever lived. loads to do, great shows/record shops, good weather, people have an open mind generally. there are always peaves with wherever you live so i'm not going to get into negatives.

oh you're out there are you.
interesting, what are you doing out there then?
Can you gis a job?
I'm good at fixing mountain bikes.

I was actually thinking about moving out there. We are thinking about giving Maine a shot first though. Although the other half is whining on about cold winters.
San Fran is fooking miles away. It would be nearer to move back to Dublin almost I'd say.

i was looking for jobs in SF for ages, but seems they only need financial journos out there. icky.

i fucking love SF. spent 3 months there 6 years ago and fell for it hook, line and sinker. easily one of the best places to live, it's got everything, imho.

and the bicycle couriers have a certain stamina unmatched in other cities - look at all the hills they have to negotiate!!! rides, the lot of them.

The Bay Area has to be one of my favourite places.

I could happily live in Portland, Oregon, or indeed anywhere in Oregon. Maybe in a vineyard in the Dundee Hills.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Matana Roberts (Constellation Records) with special guest Sean Clancy
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland
Matana Roberts (Constellation Records) with special guest Sean Clancy
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland
Jim White & Marisa Anderson (Thrill Jockey)
Whelan's Main Room
25 Wexford St, Portobello, Dublin 2, D02 H527, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back