Where is the best place in the world to live? (3 Viewers)

Nantucket would be great, especially for the potential to write limericks about where you live.

It'd be perfect because you'd have new/returning people every summer to hang with and just when everyone is getting on your nerves, they leave. The you have 6 months to relax alone and just when you're about to go mad, people return. Perfect.

My wife's friend located to New Zealand - Christchurch and now Wellington. According to her, it's hard to make friends; people dress like they're from the 1970s; the pay is crap; and healthcare/other benefits are crap (she's 6 months pregnant). On the other hand she still prefers it to ireland.

it is very hard to be stylish here and mullets abound. wellington reminds me a bit of limerick (if limerick tarted herself up a bit with more mountains, a nice bay, some more high-rise buildings on less shabby streets, got rid of her nice pubs and aquired some of galway's delusions of grandeur). its perfectly nice though, i like it, just now that im here i wonder if people are going to go to the trouble of upping sticks and emigrating would they be better off going somewhere a little more different from home.

im not sure about the healthcare, from what ive heard though, they dont go for private health care. also they have this law/thing here which makes it so that you cant sue someone for personal injury. if i crash into and you get whiplash then you cant fucking sue me mate. you'll get your health expenses paid but thats it. everyone pays some tax which covers these kind of expenses and if i crash into you then i might have to pay a bit more of this tax to encourage me to drive more carefully. i reckon this is a deadly idea as it changes the focus from getting what you can out of people and whinging and moaning about being sick to actually staying well and looking after yourself because theres no benefit in being sick.

they had a scorcher in haiti this year year i believe, might pack the aul' bags.

haiti.jpg

Hey , look I'm just gonna say , don't rule out NZ just yet .
Sure , It all depends on what your priorities are , for some folk it's a good pub or a great town for seeing bands or galleries or whatever .
I've lived in NZ for 6 or 7 years all up, As a permanent resident for the last 2 and a half or so years in Lake Hawea (south island) and work in Wanaka - which is a 15min drive away
. We bought a house a couple of months ago and I can happily say that I feel very lucky every time i open the curtains and look out the window . I've lived in Christchurch for a few years and while living there , liked it a lot , made lots of friends and enjoyed the plenty that that town had to offer, I'm much happier now in the relative obscurity of Hawea .I've lived in Canada ( Montreal for a wee bit - Toronto and Halifax, briefly and close to 6 months in the Okenagen Vally B.C.) - really liked Canada but didn't want to settle there. I lived in Dublin for 9 years and , for me , If i never stepped foot in that town again I would be happy. - I've lived in Galway and Inishbiggle and spent my youth in Cork . I've visited a few other countries/cities/places in my travels - some I've loved and others less so but I am happiest here. I'm not saying NZ is without it's faults, but , where is ? Anyway - these photos , while obviously picked to show things well are pretty much how it is round these parts .
Sure , wages aren't great , but the cost of living is also more affordable . Not heaps of international artists come here but there is a thriving and well supported national music scene. All in , I reckon I've got it pretty sweet here. For me , here is the best place in the world to live.
OK...I'm Oscar Mike! (been watching Generation Kill)
enjoy where yer at.
strip_home.jpg

view from my local pub (below)

strip_accommodation.jpg

where I've sat and had lunch while on break from work
100_2334.JPG

Lake%20Wanaka.png

other sweet spots near me
26.jpg

1359031-Travel_Picture-Moreaki_Boulders_South_Island_New_Zealand.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back