Where is the best place in the world to live? (1 Viewer)

I'd love to emigrate to Berlin or Montreal..

You can fly to Montreal now for 300/400 rtn with some new airline and it only takes 5/6 hrs. That's very appealing.

Can't remember the name though..

Air Transat? I saw an ad on the side of a bus. Don't recall it being that cheap but I guess cheaper than it had been. Still couldn't afford it!

the beara peninsula is ridiculously beautiful.

i'm testing my hypothesis that having fewer entertainment options means you do and make instead of watching other people do and make. don't know if it plays out longterm or if being cut off leads to stagnation, but it's proving to be totally true.

it sorta tapers off after about a year and a half. would be best to change the scenery then.

it sorta tapers off after about a year and a half. would be best to change the scenery then.

A year and a half? I'm was freaking out after a year. Thankfully the odd week working in Dublin is keeping me sane.

Interesting to read people's perceptions of cities on here. I thought SF whilst the most beautifully situated city I have ever visited is populated by pretentiuous, stand-offish ,uptight, wankerish - types across ALL socio-demographic groups without exception. I wouldn't wanna move there without a solid circle of friends to start with.

I found them all exceptionally nice, but then a) they were generally friends of my friends and b) I was comparing them to Londoners.

Depending on which bit you live in and what you work as, London can be a fantastic or a miserable place to live.

Ups: tons to do (often cheap and free), diversity (of people, music, food etc), lots of green spaces (from cute little hidden parks to vast sprawling wildernesses), lots of different neighbourhoods with their own little scenes, endless nuggets of history everywhere you go, slightly better weather than Ireland, people can be unbelievably lovely.

Downs: too bloody big, expensive rent/house prices/ travel/ extra taxes you don't have to pay in Ireland, riddled with crime and poverty, people can be unbelievably cuntish.

Definitely somewhere where you need that "solid circle of friends" before you move here.

hey lolo did you say stewart lee does secret gigs in stoke newington?
i'm moving to dalston next month...

london gets a lot better once you get a bike, learn how to get around, and meet some interesting people. otherwise it's like living in a concrete zarcophagus!
i love it.

I'd love to emigrate to Berlin or Montreal..

You can fly to Montreal now for 300/400 rtn with some new airline and it only takes 5/6 hrs. That's very appealing.

Can't remember the name though..

Air Transat? I saw an ad on the side of a bus. Don't recall it being that cheap but I guess cheaper than it had been. Still couldn't afford it!

i wanted to fly to toronto with air transat but all the winter flights on the dates i picked were booked out...........so i'm training it up to belfast and going with zoom instead. who better not cancel the fucking flight.

I'm sort of trapped in Dublin because everyone I love lives there. The weather here is seriously getting me down. I'd like to try Dorset or something - Billy is that where you live?
Hiya Ronan

Yeah... I live in Dorset these days. Well, (soon to be) on the outskirts of Bournemouth. It'll be my sixth move in three years - hence the reason I'm stoney broke.

Dorset is a very nice place: next door to the New Forest - which is a huge national park with wild horses and rare trees and plenty of stuff like that; you've got the Jurassic coastline which has tonnes of dinosaur fossils and some spectacular coastline; the Purbeck peninsula is really beautiful (Corfe castle is the very definition of gothic ruins); then you have Hardy country which is very picturesque; Weymouth and Lyme Regis are very nice little coastal villages; and then you're next door to Somerset (for Glastonbury et al), Hampshire and Devon. It's also only two hours on the train in to Waterloo station which is slap-bang in the middle of London.
It's my girlfriend's dad's favourite county - and I can sort of see why.

Bournemouth itself isn't up to much - basically it was bombed to pieces in WWII so it's all sixties architecture and has lost any old-school charm it may have - most of the cities on the south coast are like this. But it does have a seven-mile white sand beach; Hengistbury head is also very nice; and then there's Poole harbour is quite nice too.

The people are nice enough here too. Summery types.

It's all very nice-nice.

So, given that I know you're a Hardy fan, I'd certainly suggest you pop over for a visit. There are direct flights from Dublin to Bournemouth airport.

I found them all exceptionally nice, but then a) they were generally friends of my friends and b) I was comparing them to Londoners.

Depending on which bit you live in and what you work as, London can be a fantastic or a miserable place to live.

Ups: tons to do (often cheap and free), diversity (of people, music, food etc), lots of green spaces (from cute little hidden parks to vast sprawling wildernesses), lots of different neighbourhoods with their own little scenes, endless nuggets of history everywhere you go, slightly better weather than Ireland, people can be unbelievably lovely.

Downs: too bloody big, expensive rent/house prices/ travel/ extra taxes you don't have to pay in Ireland, riddled with crime and poverty, people can be unbelievably cuntish.

Definitely somewhere where you need that "solid circle of friends" before you move here.

I agree with you about London. It's got everything.

I did the commuter thing though - and that is soul destroying. There are few cities in the world as busy as London - and getting the 18.15 to Cambridge (after spending time on the Tube) is just stupid.

I've got a kid now and London is about the last place I'd like to live in.

Hiya Ronan

Yeah... I live in Dorset these days. Well, (soon to be) on the outskirts of Bournemouth. It'll be my sixth move in three years - hence the reason I'm stoney broke.

Dorset is a very nice place: next door to the New Forest - which is a huge national park with wild horses and rare trees and plenty of stuff like that; you've got the Jurassic coastline which has tonnes of dinosaur fossils and some spectacular coastline; the Purbeck peninsula is really beautiful (Corfe castle is the very definition of gothic ruins); then you have Hardy country which is very picturesque; Weymouth and Lyme Regis are very nice little coastal villages; and then you're next door to Somerset (for Glastonbury et al), Hampshire and Devon. It's also only two hours on the train in to Waterloo station which is slap-bang in the middle of London.
It's my girlfriend's dad's favourite county - and I can sort of see why.

Bournemouth itself isn't up to much - basically it was bombed to pieces in WWII so it's all sixties architecture and has lost any old-school charm it may have - most of the cities on the south coast are like this. But it does have a seven-mile white sand beach; Hengistbury head is also very nice; and then there's Poole harbour is quite nice too.

The people are nice enough here too. Summery types.

It's all very nice-nice.

So, given that I know you're a Hardy fan, I'd certainly suggest you pop over for a visit. There are direct flights from Dublin to Bournemouth airport.

Thanks Billy- sounds great. I can feel a driving/english beer holiday coming on next year

I've got a kid now and London is about the last place I'd like to live in.

I hear ye. Great place to visit with kids mind you - Hamley's, science museum, natural history museum, museum of childhood, Geffrye museum, Hackney city farm, all the parks, kid-friendly restaurants/ cafes.... but you wouldn't want to bring up a child here.

Last I heard they were still going ahead with the plan to turn Carlow into The International Guantanamo Bay Theme Park

I was reading in the Carlow Tribune the local retailers were making an absolute killing in knock off unofficial orange boiler suits and bulldog clips.

You can be the house minder when I move to Portland.

You'll have to look after Floyd Fish and water the plants. Everyone's a winner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Matana Roberts (Constellation Records) with special guest Sean Clancy
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland
Matana Roberts (Constellation Records) with special guest Sean Clancy
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland
Jim White & Marisa Anderson (Thrill Jockey)
Whelan's Main Room
25 Wexford St, Portobello, Dublin 2, D02 H527, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back