Where is the best place in the world to live? (1 Viewer)

Salem, MA is also kind of cool if you can put up with fake witches and tourists.

Do these fake witches get fake burned?

Which reminds me of the Black Adder episode with the Witchsmeller.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

a cave in italy

You could always head for Matera, where the locals carved houses out of the rock face. They've even got posh Ikea looking versions now.

MateraRoom1.jpg

It's also a pretty amazing looking place. Although most people actually live in the new horrible part of the town.

Matera_322-05-07-31-7268.jpg

You could always head for Matera, where the locals carved houses out of the rock face. They've even got posh Ikea looking versions now.

MateraRoom1.jpg

It's also a pretty amazing looking place. Although most people actually live in the new horrible part of the town.

Matera_322-05-07-31-7268.jpg
that's where i want to retire. i'll spend my days drinking wine and letching.

Gonna throw my oar in for San Sebastian.

Two beachs in the city centre, that somehow manage to allow you to surf on them (not that I'm any good at that).
Most michelin stars per head of population (allegedly)
Vaguely cool Basque connection.
Beauitful spaniards.
Decent football team, though currently languishing in The Segunda Division of La Liga.

Still pretty good place. Also no "can't get a visa" issues going on a la the states.

Can you speak Spanish or Basque?

I've considered Oslo and Bergen. And Copenhagen.
I'd say parts of New Zealand are alright, never been there though.
I'm heading up to Maine in a week or two to have a look out there. I'm also considering California
Most of Wicklow, and most of the west of Ireland.
A lot of France is great. Parts of Spain too.

Not really sure how I ended up where I am now. Its not really my ideal spot. NYC is alright for a laugh though.

The unchecked, pointless urbanisation of Swords is exactly what's wrong with Dublin as a whole.

I'm no urban planner (and I'm not sure whether you are or not) but 'pointless urbanisation' is a peculiar way of putting things. Swords' population increased by 25% in the four years from 2002 to 2006, they have to live somewhere. I'd prefer Swords/Blanch et al to be sprawling messes than condemning people to live in decoupled housing estates in or near no horse villages in Westmeath/Kildare/Meath/everywhere else.

Swords happens to have a largely undeveloped hinterland and a large amount of employment. The aforementioned (relative) proximity to the city also makes it natural that people would want to live here and that heartless developers would capitalise on that.

I think there should be checks and balances but I think unfettered rural one-off and ribbon development is far worse for our overall quality of life than making a big town bigger. I'm probably biased because this town has given me my livelihood, most of my friends and a fairly good lifestyle up until now.

There are loads of places we visit that we love, largely because we're on holiday! We're seldom enchanted with our everyday sights and sounds.

Ireland needs to learn about building up rather than out.
People can live quite reasonable lives in apartments, and apartments that are not shit holes can be built.

You build groups of apartments and you provide the people with amenities like parks, gyms, pool, grocery shops, a primary school and a frequent light rail that runs frequently during rush hour.

Its not that complicated really.

I'm no urban planner (and I'm not sure whether you are or not) but 'pointless urbanisation' is a peculiar way of putting things. Swords' population increased by 25% in the four years from 2002 to 2006, they have to live somewhere. I'd prefer Swords/Blanch et al to be sprawling messes than condemning people to live in decoupled housing estates in or near no horse villages in Westmeath/Kildare/Meath/everywhere else.

Swords happens to have a largely undeveloped hinterland and a large amount of employment. The aforementioned (relative) proximity to the city also makes it natural that people would want to live here and that heartless developers would capitalise on that.

I think there should be checks and balances but I think unfettered rural one-off and ribbon development is far worse for our overall quality of life than making a big town bigger. I'm probably biased because this town has given me my livelihood, most of my friends and a fairly good lifestyle up until now.

There are loads of places we visit that we love, largely because we're on holiday! We're seldom enchanted with our everyday sights and sounds.

No I ain't no urban planner. And fairplay to you for liking the place as much as you do. SRSLY. But heartless developers et al don't see it like you do. They view it as cheap land connected to the city by a road. There's only a road, and it's a shit road, but that doesn't matter.

But businesses that are in Swords, should be in Dublin. The apartment blocks and estates built there should also be in Dublin. That's where the people living there and the businesses operating there really want to be, for the most part.

Making people drive to work in Dublin from Swords is daft. Just as much as making them drive in from Naas or Navan. That sort of planning makes Dublin shittier, and makes everywhere around it shittier too. And don't get me started on fucking ribbon developments. If Dublin was decent it would stop at maybe Donnycarney in the north and maybe Rathfarnham in the South. And everyone would live and work in those few square miles.
I work in Clonshaugh, an area which has all the worst aspects of living in a city (desperate traffic, litter, crime, noise) and all the worst aspects of living in the country (isolated, no facilities, almost non-existant public transport so that THERE'S NO ESCAPE!). I reckon vast swathes of Swords are the same, given that it's built up on the premise of being near Dublin, even though it's not. It doesn't really make sense. I think.

Anyway, if I was to live anywhere, I think it'd have to be in a geodesic dome home

Well Swords is connected by the M1, M50, etc. to the city centre but I get your point. However, the planning you're talking about would take a somewhat crazy year zero ethos to implement. Destroy much of historic Dublin and create a giant IFSCland. Swords grew largely because of the airport and still derives a significant chunk of its employment from there and ancilliary services connected to that. There are a number of businesses that operate in the area that wouldn't be suited to closer to town too. I think that the Metro if it ever gets built will be a partial panacea for its current problems. The bus, however doesn't take THAT long to get into town (41x zooms in) and in a victim of its own success in the sense that I think the biggest problem at the minute is over subscription at peak times. There's a link to Blanchardstown too (with Urbus) which is nice for me cos I work there occasionally.

My girlfriend lived in Montevideo for six months back in 2005. She said it was great.
yeah, it seems to get a very good press. I've never been there. I wanted to go to mexico but the missus suggested uruguay. she was there a few years ago and really liked it. we'll see what happens.

probably not the safest place in the world but a good place to live, at least in the short term, if you were relatively young and free might be around lago de atitlán in the western highlands of guatemala. a huge lake in the mountains, surrounded by volcanoes and dotted with a bunch of small downs and villages, which are mostly easily accessible only by boat. there are plenty of chilled out little villages, but there's one pretty lively town that's popular with backpackers because it's full of unbelievably cheap spanish language schools; as a result you can find some of the cheapest accomodation/food/booze/smoke in central america there. some really nice bars and restaurants. mild sunny weather. I met loads of people from the u.s there who work in alaska for 6 months and come down to live it up in the wilds of guatemala during winter. interesting place.

Lago_Atitlàn.JPG

Well Swords is connected by the M1, M50, etc. to the city centre but I get your point. However, the planning you're talking about would take a somewhat crazy year zero ethos to implement. Destroy much of historic Dublin and create a giant IFSCland. Swords grew largely because of the airport and still derives a significant chunk of its employment from there and ancilliary services connected to that. There are a number of businesses that operate in the area that wouldn't be suited to closer to town too. I think that the Metro if it ever gets built will be a partial panacea for its current problems. The bus, however doesn't take THAT long to get into town (41x zooms in) and in a victim of its own success in the sense that I think the biggest problem at the minute is over subscription at peak times. There's a link to Blanchardstown too (with Urbus) which is nice for me cos I work there occasionally.

I had quite the long post there, but I shan't post it. Maybe I should've been a city planner though. I'm not dissing Swords as much as saying that the planning of Dublin has been unbelievably small-minded, under-achieving, lazy, greedy, criminally cynical in recent years, and just generally shit. And it goes a long way toward explaining, I think, why Dublin is shit compared to anywhere that can be called a "real city".

Maine! I spent a couple of months in Maine. It was incredibly gorgeous. However, someone shot lobster gack in my face while I was there so I've never quite forgiven New England. Maine also gave me my first go on a motorbike, with a guy who was really excited about the fact that he had a cd player. Him and his sister brought me into their home to listen to music- the best of Dr.Hook. That was the only CD they had. I wanted to squeeze them. I also saw squirrddles eating pizza in Maine. It's got great things, pizza eating squirrles, Dr.Hook, lobster gack.

I've not been very many places, but I think I could live in Montreal, Granada, West Clare, Edinburgh and hopefully Melbourne.

I don't know, but I do know that it is not:

Dublin
Frederick, Maryland
Rockville, Maryland
Columbia, Maryland
Washington, DC
Anywhere in the state of Rhode Island
NYC (amazing city to visit, but I really couldn't fucking live there)
Cork

What's so bad about Rhode Island Jane? Having spent roughly equal amounts of time in Providence and Boston recently, I'd definitely pick Providence as a better place to live (mind you, I also love living in Dublin).

Dalkey was a great place to grow up.

Where I am now is very nice. In fact, I think it may just be the best county in England.

But where you want to live is determined by loads of factors which change all the time.

These days I kind of fancy Germany. Otherwise you'll find it hard to beat Luton.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Matana Roberts (Constellation Records) with special guest Sean Clancy
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland
Matana Roberts (Constellation Records) with special guest Sean Clancy
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland
Jim White & Marisa Anderson (Thrill Jockey)
Whelan's Main Room
25 Wexford St, Portobello, Dublin 2, D02 H527, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back