Where is the best place in the world to live? (1 Viewer)

and the bicycle couriers have a certain stamina unmatched in other cities

Filthy La La. I hope you did your research thoroughly.

Emm. Yeah, no, they are actually looking for computery bioinformaticy types out there.
I'll have to see.
I was all in love with Maine there.

Fcuking hell. There was just a massive car crash outised my window. Jesus. That was loud.

That's God telling me my time here is up.

oh you're out there are you.
interesting, what are you doing out there then?
Can you gis a job?
I'm good at fixing mountain bikes.

I was actually thinking about moving out there. We are thinking about giving Maine a shot first though. Although the other half is whining on about cold winters.
San Fran is fooking miles away. It would be nearer to move back to Dublin almost I'd say.

Actually, can you please do me a favour and move to Maine? I want to come visit when we move over. And maybe move there, although not just yet -- I just would be really glad if you'd guinea pig for it.

Cold winters in a pretty place are a lot easier than shitty, dirty winters in New York, where winter is mostly blech. In a big city, winter is an obstacle to be overcome, but in Maine, it's just another time of year. In our urban lives, we're so used to doing the same shit all the time, but I guess you have to get accustomed to living more seasonally. You'd definitely find yourself snowed in a few times each winter, but as long as you're prepared, there's nothing more fun than a snow-in.

I was being all presumptuous about Minneapolis being a place where you're stuck indoors for five months of the year, but apparently, Minnesotans are outside all the time. They just cross-country ski and ice-skate everywhere. Way more fun than trudging through brown piles of slush in a city where there isn't room for snow to do what it does best.

Remember, too, that Portland (where I'd prefer you live, just to test it out -- kthx) is only two hours north of Boston, so it's not a whole lot colder.

San Fran is no use to me. Boigaz is already testing it out for the rest of us.

Boigaz, everyone is going on about how expensive SF is -- how bad is the cost of living, really? Mr Jane is pretty taken with the idea of the place. I kind of am, too, but I don't want to live more than a 7- or 8-hour plane journey to Dublin. And also, while I don't want to live too close to my family, I want to be able to be close to them at least for a few years, so the west coast is out for now.

Chicago is supposed to be wicked awesome. I'm a little drawn to the idea of a midwestern city, but I'd like somewhere medium-sized.

I was only ever on holiday in Chicago and thought it was a bit of a kip. A distasteful mix of snootiness and abject poverty. I didn't see the whole of this big city though.

oh you're out there are you.
interesting, what are you doing out there then?]
i work in tech out here. i work for a large company you would've all heard of (i'm sure).
flashback said:
Can you gis a job?
I'm good at fixing mountain bikes.
you also write/hack perl, right?

flashback said:
I was actually thinking about moving out there. We are thinking about giving Maine a shot first though.
i know nothing about maine so i can't comment.

flashback said:
Although the other half is whining on about cold winters.
San Fran is fooking miles away. It would be nearer to move back to Dublin almost I'd say.
it's a ten hour direct flight with aerlingus these days. sure, it's no picnic but it's doable. the winters here are not cold by any stretch of the imagination

Boigaz, everyone is going on about how expensive SF is -- how bad is the cost of living, really?
well it's definitely cheaper than dublin was for us. food is cheaper, going out is cheaper, clothes are cheaper, records are waaaay cheaper as are gigs. i bike everywhere so i don't know how much it costs to keep a car. i don't know how it compares with the rest of the states - i think it's probably cheaper elsewhere in usa. property here is definitely expensive, but even in that respect, dublin is not much better. i've no intention of buying property here in any case.

on the other side of the coin though is that going home is expensive at the moment with the strong euro.

i work in tech out here. i work for a large company you would've all heard of (i'm sure).

you also write/hack perl, right?

i know nothing about maine so i can't comment.

it's a ten hour direct flight with aerlingus these days. sure, it's no picnic but it's doable. the winters here are not cold by any stretch of the imagination

C/Java/C#. I hack Linux. I sculpt perl. clusters admin / server admin / life sciences / informatics / data mining.

I think there's work out that neck of the woods for me. Ho hum. Is it really that deadly is it?

I was all geared up for Maine. Looking at gaffs out there and everything. It reminds me of Norway. Its like Norway Lite.

Probably fuck all jobs in Maine though. Fuck all anything in Maine.

That's the point though.

Jane's just adding to the pressure.

I'll have to discuss this further with you bio gas.

I've found myself back in Melbourne after 2 months away from it around Australia and it's still easily my favourite city I've ever been to. (I've been to over 50 at this stage)

Its just got everything.anyone who loves their music, lack of confrontation, good spirited, friendly people, facilities, venues, communities, diversity, artistic, proper 4 seasons shit should try it.

For the record I really didn't like Sydney particularly outside of summer, Perth was chilled but boring, Fremantle had more goin on of the WA cities.

Just my tuppence, Buzzo are you comin to live here?

t'aint new zealand anyway. its pretty but its miles from everywhere, is full of eejits, the dollars you earn arent worth anything and it hasnt got one decent pub where you could enjoy a pint

well it's definitely cheaper than dublin was for us. food is cheaper, going out is cheaper, clothes are cheaper, records are waaaay cheaper as are gigs. i bike everywhere so i don't know how much it costs to keep a car. i don't know how it compares with the rest of the states - i think it's probably cheaper elsewhere in usa. property here is definitely expensive, but even in that respect, dublin is not much better. i've no intention of buying property here in any case.

on the other side of the coin though is that going home is expensive at the moment with the strong euro.

SF is by far the most expensive place I ever visited in the states-even slightly more so than NYC.
Interesting to read people's perceptions of cities on here. I thought SF whilst the most beautifully situated city I have ever visited is populated by pretentiuous, stand-offish ,uptight, wankerish - types across ALL socio-demographic groups without exception. I wouldn't wanna move there without a solid circle of friends to start with.

Chicago on the other hand has everything yuo would want in a mega-city.

Back on-topic for quality of life for where I'm at at the moment I would love to give Berlin a shot for a few years-bring the whole family and the dog. It's only really on the continent you can live a proper family lifestyle in an urban area IMO.

Actually, can you please do me a favour and move to Maine? I want to come visit when we move over. And maybe move there, although not just yet -- I just would be really glad if you'd guinea pig for it.

I was in Maine there for the last 10 days.
Fairly deadly so it is. The farther north you get the nicer it seems. Portland seemed like a good place to live alright, and an hour away from it you are in the middle of serious wilderness. Amazing surf and river paddling, deadly cycling roads and nice hiking places.
The missus and myself were camping on Hermit Island and rented a couple of sea kayaks and paddled them a few miles down the coast, in and out of the little natural harbors and bays and things.
Then we drove down to Bar Harbor, and camped on Desert Island. More amazing paddling there. Every other car seemed to have sea kayaks on it.
Lovely coast, and the inland looks really nice too.

I am just going to have to find a job out there now...

According to 'The Economist'

Livability03.jpg

http://www.economist.com/markets/rankings/displaystory.cfm?story_id=11116839

Nice to see Toronto nestled in there at #5. I'm heading there this winter to snowboard and sniff around at the job/living situation. Excitement.

not sure there's a best-in-the-world, but i'm discovering that westport is pretty fucking amazing.

small town perks of everyone saying hello, people being really friendly, lots of dogs, good pubs, cheap rent, fresh air, seeing the stars at night, etc. i'm told that it takes ages to make real friends but it's awesome to have so many conversations with strangers. on the community/convenience front, it beats the liberties.

specific to westport, not much fast food, sweet independent shops with beautiful signage, really really nice pubs, very few chains (but i work beside tesco, arf!), no big box stores, ludicrously beautiful landscape, reasonably regular train, several lovely pools, and all your bourgie needs met (so far: david sedaris books, sushi rice, guitar picks). even the fucking tourists are nice.

for juxtaposition purposes, as well as being actively in love with dublin in a way that's apparently unusual, i am giving serious thought on spending a long time in the SF bay area, and i have debated portland oregon for years.

i love berlin but am probably too much of a square to really enjoy it, and also, not exactly crawling with architecture jobs.

ive often thought that it'd be deadly to live in a beautiful rural area near the sea, preferably on either the sheepshead or beara peninsulas, but at the same time i dont think im really cut out to live in such places, i'll have to make do with holidays

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back