What type of god do you belive in (3 Viewers)

What type of God do you believe in?

• Typical Christian type God

Votes: 4 10.8%
  • None

Votes: 18 48.6%
  • Nature or some other hippy thing

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Mysterious God with unknown motives, possibly a prick

Votes: 5 13.5%
  • no idea \ don't care

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Cthulhu

Votes: 2 5.4%

• Total voters
no reason i just find it funny how we consider ourselves catholic...
and since you're old enough and of "sound" mind, what religion would you rather be?

hanley said:
i suppose whenever a child is mature enough to make decisions, distinguish right from wrong, and is aware of what religions are and know about different faiths n shit suppose then they could pick their own religion.
i just think its shit not being able to initally choose your religion

I'm pretty sure if most four year olds were allowed to pick their own religion they'd select the marshmallow man or something.

Oh and sorry to tell you guys but I'm pretty sure it is a basic human right of parents to teach their kids whatever religion they choose.

spiritualtramp said:
I'm pretty sure if most four year olds were allowed to pick their own religion they'd select the marshmallow man or something.

Oh and sorry to tell you guys but I'm pretty sure it is a basic human right of parents to teach their kids whatever religion they choose.
united nations universal declaration of human rights, article 18, states:

Everyone has the right to freedom of thought, conscience and religion; this right includes freedom to change their religion or belief, and freedom, either alone or in community with others and in public or private, to manifest their religion or belief in teaching, practice, worship and observance.

that 'everyone' includes people of all ages, by the way.

(ostensibly it also includes ciaran mackle, but then that's a different thread. and i hear that the e.u. are planning to add a caveat - "everyone - except ciaran mackle - has the right to yadda yadda")

i believe in U-God from the wu tang clan
ugod%2001_2.gif

i'll be sincere on the topic for a moment:
i cant subscribe to any of the above. personally. in a nutshell. i believe in the existance of every god that has ever been conceived of, worshiped or invoked through the entirity of humankind's existance.
"we may as well have fun with the gods, we invented them"
they all exist, in a very real form, whenever they are invoked with absolute focus. they can be seen to be either parts of the (universal / architypal see: C. Jung) consciousness in which the powers within Man are amplified and exteriorised and used for spiritual purposes, or they can be seen as actual entities which exist on a different plane of reality. both viewpoints are correct and identical. every thing that is inside (in the mind / consciousness in all its forms) and outside (in "reality" / evironment / the world) are reflective of each other, but revealing no surface (division, see: the Hindu "maya") thus are one and the same.
all the archetypes hold true. for instance, chistianity is nothing more than the religion of ancient egypt updated with different names (of a jeudaic origin) and festivals / ritual calender occassions usurped from pagan theologies. well anyway.
IO PAN
93 93/93

"I beleive the signs of the of the reptile master" If anyone can reference that you have my undying respect.

For you maybe.Thought some other poster might surprise me ye know. Dun Dun Dun Du-Du-Du-Dun-Dun do-do-do-do Sun bound space pod rising faster.

i think forcing your kids to go to church is incredibly stoopid. i was made go to church from the earliest age i can remember and when i got older and told my ma that i'd had enough, i didnt believe etc, i felt bad about it, guilty even, even though i had no interest in practising catholicism at all. at least if i'd never have been made go, i wouldn't have had to go through the hassle of having to explain my decision as best i could. she never made me feel bad about it per se, but because she had been raised that way, i think she might have expected us all to be the same.
there's no way i'd bring my kids to something religious that they wouldnt understand. i would make sure they had access to materials to teach them about different religions and beliefs so that they could make their own informed decision about it when they feel old enough/ready etc, but to follow a faith or not is their choice.
and for the record Ms B, going to church and having a happy childhood are not corellated.

La La said:
and for the record Ms B, going to church and having a happy childhood are not corellated.

i dunno
the church i went to as a kid was made out of lego, could transform into a giant scorpion and had loads of water slides
and instead of a normal priest we had a Judas Priest

It makes perfect sense to instill your own values in your children, be they religious or otherwise. Raising your children to be the same religion as you is hardly tantamount to child cruelty. Although like snaky said, enforcing beliefs on your children which you don't hold yourself is bonkers. Anyway, those of you who are saying you'll allow your children to choose their own religion will probably have been bullied into having them baptised by your folks or grandparents before it even comes to that.

Zeelander said:
It makes perfect sense to instill your own values in your children, be they religious or otherwise. Raising your children to be the same religion as you is hardly tantamount to child cruelty. Although like snaky said, enforcing beliefs on your children which you don't hold yourself is bonkers. Anyway, those of you who are saying you'll allow your children to choose their own religion will probably have been bullied into having them baptised by your folks or grandparents before it even comes to that.

i dont think any objections made here were implying that it's child cruelty.

La La said:
i think forcing your kids to go to church is incredibly stoopid. i was made go to church from the earliest age i can remember and when i got older and told my ma that i'd had enough, i didnt believe etc, i felt bad about it, guilty even, even though i had no interest in practising catholicism at all. at least if i'd never have been made go, i wouldn't have had to go through the hassle of having to explain my decision as best i could.
`

The above could be applied to any of the crap that your parents make you do - I was forced to go to bloody ballet, irish dancing brownies and other nonsense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back