What television series are you currently making your way through? (5 Viewers)

I love it but then again I have a thing for cowboy boots, hats and that southern accent. I find it very entertaining and engaging. I liked it straight off so maybe it's not for you but the story does develop along the way. I still need to see the last three of the first season. I should get on it.

I liked it too. It's pretty light I suppose but very enjoyable.

I liked it too. It's pretty light I suppose but very enjoyable.

Yeah, light in comparison to other shows out there these days but some great lines with almost a deadpan calm delivery. Cracks me up. "Are you sure you want to do that?" I like it in the same way I like Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.

watched the first three episode of this last night. the first episode is based on a joe r lansdale short story which i had read before and really liked. it was deadly so i had high hopes for the rest of the episodes. the third episode, directed by tobe hooper, was a pile of shite. i had to turn it off. will probably watch the rest over the weekend though

logo.jpg

fridaynightlights.jpg

Just watched the last ever episode.

It was lovely, no great surprises really. Wrapped everything up sweetly and with just the required amount of sentimentality (but no more).
There should have been more Explosions in the Sky, they have dropped off the soundtrack in the past couple of seasons but they were so central to the mood of the first 2 seasons that they deserved a reprise.
There should have been a bit more Buddy too, he's one of the great comedy characters.

There was a lot more of the handheld camerawork and the style of editing that seems to have been polised out of it this season (I wonder did Peter berg come back to direct the finale?)

I can't understand how this show wasn't bigger.

Anee Tiergarten = young Brigiette Bardot, discuss....

1061833_f520.jpg

watched the first three episode of this last night. the first episode is based on a joe r lansdale short story which i had read before and really liked. it was deadly so i had high hopes for the rest of the episodes. the third episode, directed by tobe hooper, was a pile of shite. i had to turn it off. will probably watch the rest over the weekend though

The Tobe Hooper one is the worst in the series. Joe Dantes and John Carpenter are the best in that season though I have a soft spot for Gordons Lovecraft adaptation.

Mormon Nailer;1392188 Anee Tiergarten = young Brigiette Bardot said:
http://s2.hubimg.com/u/1061833_f520.jpg[/img]

I dunno. How young?

That picture looks Scorpions Album cover young.

fridaynightlights.jpg

Just watched the last ever episode.

It was lovely, no great surprises really. Wrapped everything up sweetly and with just the required amount of sentimentality (but no more).
There should have been more Explosions in the Sky, they have dropped off the soundtrack in the past couple of seasons but they were so central to the mood of the first 2 seasons that they deserved a reprise.
There should have been a bit more Buddy too, he's one of the great comedy characters.

There was a lot more of the handheld camerawork and the style of editing that seems to have been polised out of it this season (I wonder did Peter berg come back to direct the finale?)

I can't understand how this show wasn't bigger.

Watched it last night,
those kids are too young to get hitched, Taylor should have given Matt the smack in the grill that he's been leading up to for years. Didn't like Cafferty heading off to the army.

Apparently the guy who played Street wanted to come back and shoot a final scene with the Riggins' even though he knew that it'd never get on the air.

Watched it last night,
Didn't like Cafferty heading off to the army.
I'd say a good 30% of the people I work with in the US have seen service at some point. It's weird to us, but there, and in the south especially, it's a huge part of life. I'm amazed it hasn't been more a part of the show (Matt's dad aside). It's also a bit odd how few hispanics there are in Dillon, not very representative of the Texas. I have heard some critics say it's because the book came from a time, with school re-districting etc, where black/white tensions were high, though I remember there being a couple of hispanic players at least (Brian Chavez for example) in the book.

I thought they chickened out slightly by showing the championship ring on Vince's finger after they faded to black when the final pass was in mid-air.

I wasn't entirely convinced by the Tim/Tyra reconciliation, it was nicely written, they both seem to have found some calm and maturity, but I don't entirely buy her leaping back into his arms. Perhaps when you are as much of a ride as Tim anything's possible, I guess I'll never know!

I'd say a good 30% of the people I work with in the US have seen service at some point. It's weird to us, but there, and in the south especially, it's a huge part of life. I'm amazed it hasn't been more a part of the show (Matt's dad aside). It's also a bit odd how few hispanics there are in Dillon, not very representative of the Texas. I have heard some critics say it's because the book came from a time, with school re-districting etc, where black/white tensions were high, though I remember there being a couple of hispanic players at least (Brian Chavez for example) in the book.

I thought they chickened out slightly by showing the championship ring on Vince's finger after they faded to black when the final pass was in mid-air.

I wasn't entirely convinced by the Tim/Tyra reconciliation, it was nicely written, they both seem to have found some calm and maturity, but I don't entirely buy her leaping back into his arms. Perhaps when you are as much of a ride as Tim anything's possible, I guess I'll never know!

I think the thing with Cafferty was the arc that brought around the end of his football career. He was introduced as a big high school football star, massive blow to the panthers when he had to move schools and was one of the 2 best players in a Texas high school state championship team and all he was offered was scholerships to shitty colleges, just seemed odd to me.

Re: the ring copout with Vince. There was also a banner that they were taking off the Lions scoreboard when it was being dismantled.

I think the thing with Cafferty was the arc that brought around the end of his football career. He was introduced as a big high school football star, massive blow to the panthers when he had to move schools and was one of the 2 best players in a Texas high school state championship team and all he was offered was scholerships to shitty colleges, just seemed odd to me.

Re: the ring copout with Vince. There was also a banner that they were taking off the Lions scoreboard when it was being dismantled.
The book mentiones that players from teams like Dillon don't often get good scholarships. The attitude of college recruiters to them is that they are a hugely efficient, well drilled team and that the individuals have been coached up to their maximum potential and really don't have the much more to offer, even if they are the state champions

Yeah I spotted the billboard too, the ring just bugged me because it was the first sign. Perhaps it would have been better just to leave the ring as the clue and not the sign too.

The book mentiones that players from teams like Dillon don't often get good scholarships. The attitude of college recruiters to them is that they are a hugely efficient, well drilled team and that the individuals have been coached up to their maximum potential and really don't have the much more to offer, even if they are the state champions

Yeah I spotted the billboard too, the ring just bugged me because it was the first sign. Perhaps it would have been better just to leave the ring as the clue and not the sign too.

Ah right. Is the book worth reading? I enjoyed the film as well as the series obviously.

Ah right. Is the book worth reading? I enjoyed the film as well as the series obviously.
I'm not sure I'd lavish the same praise on the book as some people have, but yeah it's very good and well worth a read. It's a small bit of a slog, I had dropped it for a while and picked it up again over Christmas. It certainly seems to capture the place and people very well (the people of Parmean were well pissed off so he musy have dome something right!).

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back