What television series are you currently making your way through? (1 Viewer)

I'm watching Season 2 of Dollhouse which is excellent and appears to be doing it's very best to have a full on Battlestar Galactica reunion

I'm watching A History of Horror with Mark Gatiss. Did anyone catch it when it was on tv? I missed it but am catching up on BBC iPlayer. It's absolutely wonderful and compelling.

1286827200-766730-AHistory-128585297500738.jpg

bump

got the first 3 seasons of Mad Men from santy. watched the first one over the last 3 nights. deadly, deadly stuff.

Catching up with all the Doctor Who I've missed this season. No longer hat the man foot as fervently.

Pacific.

The first few episodes didn't do it for me and the commentary at the start of each episode actually gives away the plot a few times
for example by saying they win the battle then they show you the battle well thanks Mr Hanks you've ruined one kind of tension there which is ridiculous. I suppose they would claim that it's the human meat grinder who's going to get it next kind of tension is the important one, but in band of brothers there was several episodes in which you could be (i was) genuinely engaged by whether they would hold bastone or not and that's totally absent here. As a result most of the plot involves marines bouncing from island to island killing dying and going insane as the jungle tries to suck the life out of them and without the commentary you'd have no idea what's going on except that the Japs are losing.
Any way that aside but the second half of the series has been excellent.

Not sure if I need the spoiler tags as you'll see what I mean from the opening frames of episode one.

Watched Edge of Darkness over Christmas on DVD, the 1985 BBC mini-series about a police detective who uncovers murky secrets about the nuclear industry. Excellent stuff, film noir-ish atmosphere with gradually building tension and paranoia, though it unravels a bit at the end I thought.

Just finished this. I'm a sucker for period drama, but this was thoroughly enjoyable regardless. Claire Foy was a fox in it, I'm going to have to rewatch 'Little Dorrit' now... maybe 'Bleak House' too.

Upstairs-Downstairs.jpg

I watched that too, I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. But one thing about it keeps playing on my mind.

HOW THE FUCK DID THE INDIAN GUY HIDE MOST OF HIS BEARD?

Hahahahaha, I was amazed during the kitchen scene where he had his beard and hair down. WHAT TRICKERY! It did look like a seriously odd beard when I thought it was short, all matted and strange. I think he tucked it down the front of his quite high collared shirts

I'm watching A History of Horror with Mark Gatiss. Did anyone catch it when it was on tv? I missed it but am catching up on BBC iPlayer. It's absolutely wonderful and compelling.

1286827200-766730-AHistory-128585297500738.jpg

Also watching this thanks to Jonah. It's so beautifually woven together, with pure fanboy detail, and I love how Gatiss has been given complete license to dwell on whatever he sees as most important, such as Peter Cushing or Blood on Satan's Claw.

Also watching this thanks to Jonah. It's so beautifually woven together, with pure fanboy detail, and I love how Gatiss has been given complete license to dwell on whatever he sees as most important, such as Peter Cushing or Blood on Satan's Claw.

It is, for the most part, an excellent documentary on the genre. However, the fat that he barely mentions anything past late 70's/early 80's and a lot of the oriental stuff is compressed to one or two lines of dialogue is, tad annoying. 'Cos while there has been a lot of crap released as "horror" there has also been some real gems.

I'm glad you enjoyed it Furious Styles, I thought it was excellent.

xsteox I think thats probably the negative side of Gatiss being allowed to take relatively free reign with the direction of the documentary. Allows for the prevalence of utterly generalised value judgements... still, brilliantly covered what he did cover, I think. I just loved the utter passion he had for the genre. I don't know much about horror myself, aside from the stuff covered in the first part of the series, so it was a welcome one.

It is, for the most part, an excellent documentary on the genre. However, the fat that he barely mentions anything past late 70's/early 80's and a lot of the oriental stuff is compressed to one or two lines of dialogue is, tad annoying. 'Cos while there has been a lot of crap released as "horror" there has also been some real gems.

I agree with Jonah that that's likely the effect of his total control over the content, and I guess the early 80's the end of his youth fixation with horror, so that's where he just cuts off. I thought the way he just brushed past the Wicker Man in episode 2 was kind of funny!

Oz season 3
Sopranos season 5 (second time around)
The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret on 4oD

Once these are watched I'm going to read books for a while.

bump

got the first 3 seasons of Mad Men from santy. watched the first one over the last 3 nights. deadly, deadly stuff.

Just watched the first series over the last four or five days. I can see what all the hype was about, its absolutely wonderful. Deadly, deadly stuff indeed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back