What movie did you watch last night? (10 Viewers)

lmd64 said:
uh, is this a spoiler? thanks.

Believe me you don't want to see this film...

Speaking of spoilers don't you hate it when there's films on the tellies in Xtravision? I always seem to catch the last scene. :mad:

aoboa said:
Didn't like Signs. Alien who can jump over houses etc and Gibson beats him in a scrap... gimme a break. First hour was alright I suppose.

i liked the way mel gibson was a priest type dude.

who'd have thunk priests could lose faith?

swingkid said:
Haha, I don't think it's all that great either...
Most people seem to think it's brilliant!

And what is the story with Martin Sorcsese constantly praising it?

Well I'd say the fact that he has Eyes Wide Shut there at number 4 is obvious proof that he is in fact insane. I mean, fuck sake! It's a huge pile of shite!

sorry for bringing up Signs again, but this is great...i came across this earlier on http://topfivemovies.gkline.com/other_72.html

although a bit too defensive, i respect the vigour with which 'Greg' wrote the article.
this offers some possible explanations on the whole water thing and other stuff...

here is an extract from

M. Night Shyamalan
Defending Night Against Misguided Viewers

by Greg Kline

(August 31, 2004)

While I'm on the subject of Signs, I'll address a couple of other points that some critics have made about the aliens. The first is, if these creatures are smart enough to travel across the galaxy, why can't they operate a doorknob? The answer is simple: they can. Every situation where they're blocked by a door also includes an additional brace against that door. In Dr. Reddy's house, the alien is locked in the pantry, and the door is blocked by a large table and some chairs. It's also not hard to imagine that the pantry may not have an inner doorknob. And when the Hess family is hiding in the basement, the creatures try to force the door open and they even turn the knob, but Graham and Merrill use their body weight and a pick-axe to hold it shut. After their initial attempt, the aliens no longer try to force the door open; they merely make noises to distract the family from their bid to enter through the coal chute. So it's not at all far-fetched that doors hold the creatures back, especially since they don't seem to be physically very strong. Morgan's book even suggests their advanced brains would reduce the need for physical strength. And other than some menacing posturing, the alien in the living room puts up very little resistance to Merrill's baseball bat attack.
The other major point that critics of Signs try to make is that no intelligent beings would invade a planet with so much water if they themselves were susceptible to it. The answer to this is two-fold. First, a radio playing in the basement the next morning features a caller who insists that the creatures "weren't here for our planet... they were here for us." So the aliens were on a hunt of sorts, and it ought to be plainly obvious that if you want to catch a human, you have to go to where the humans live, no matter how treacherous the territory. Some extremely misguided critics have claimed the water vapor present in normal air should have destroyed the aliens sooner, which is silly. It's a matter of quantity and concentration. Think of all the substances we humans consume on a daily basis that would be toxic in greater amounts. We sprinkle salt on all our food, but eat a pound of it at once and you'll be dead. Our drinks are laced with caffeine, a deadly poison in amounts of just a few grams, and yet we feed it to our children with few reservations. The alien skin probably operates similar to the way our liver processes alcohol: able to handle or perhaps even thrive on small amounts at a slow rate, but easily overwhelmed by overexposure.

The second part of the answer is that these critics are making a major mistake in trying to ascribe human rationality onto these alien beings. They're aliens, which means they are different. Just because they're humanoid in shape doesn't mean they adhere to some arbitrary human ideas about rationality and philosophy. So while these aliens could conceivably have created some protective suits, perhaps they have religious beliefs that forbid it. Or maybe they subscribe to some "warrior code" that would bring them shame for using too great an advantage against their adversaries. Perhaps they're like the creature from Predator that takes great satisfaction in the challenge of the hunt, or maybe alien environmentalists and animal ethicists have declared it illegal to capture lowly humans without giving them a fighting chance for survival. Hell, we don't even know for sure that the creatures we see really are smart enough for intergalactic travel; maybe these are just an inferior, subservient class of alien bred to be foot soldiers for the more intelligent race that stays in the mother ship. Perhaps it's more cost-effective for them to send 20 of these pawns than to send one water-resistant super-soldier. Decisions based on economics often appear to fly in the face of ordinary reason.

And any one of these explanations is just as plausible as any other, because we're talking about a completely alien race about which we know virtually nothing. So please, drop the anthropomorphism and accept that whatever motive these things had for acting as they did is irrelevant to the story of Graham's realization of the power and miracles of God.

wathed Hitcherhikers Guide to the Galaxy (the movie)

I enjoyed this a lot. It ended a bit abruptly, and there is a save the girl plot that wasn't great but... I enjoyed more than I disliked...

loved Fry as the voice of the guide... the dolphin song is good, the guide looks cool... the planet factory is amazing... every time they use the improbability drive was fun... the vogons were brilliant - something very monty python about them i thought... zaphod was deadly... marvin was brilliant... trillian was yummy... glad they used the music from the original tv show... the original arthur dent cameo was cool... the original marvin too...

Well after watching that Star Wars crap yesterday, I decided I needed to watch a good epic film, so I stuck on Gladiator.
This is one of the perfect films ever made. There is nothing whatsoever wrong with this film. Absolutely fuckin brilliant. I'd actually forgotten how good it was I think. I remember now coming out of the cinema after watching it, totally gobsmacked at how fuckin good it was.
Tell you what, if they are going to do Indiana Jones 4 at some point, can we PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE have Ridley Scott directing it, he seems to be the only director that's been around for years who is still making incredible films.

P. Littbarski said:
sorry for bringing up Signs again, but this is great...i came across this earlier on http://topfivemovies.gkline.com/other_72.html

although a bit too defensive, i respect the vigour with which 'Greg' wrote the article.
this offers some possible explanations on the whole water thing and other stuff...

here is an extract from

M. Night Shyamalan
Defending Night Against Misguided Viewers

by Greg Kline

(August 31, 2004)

While I'm on the subject of Signs, I'll address a couple of other points that some critics have made about the aliens. The first is, if these creatures are smart enough to travel across the galaxy, why can't they operate a doorknob? The answer is simple: they can. Every situation where they're blocked by a door also includes an additional brace against that door. In Dr. Reddy's house, the alien is locked in the pantry, and the door is blocked by a large table and some chairs. It's also not hard to imagine that the pantry may not have an inner doorknob. And when the Hess family is hiding in the basement, the creatures try to force the door open and they even turn the knob, but Graham and Merrill use their body weight and a pick-axe to hold it shut. After their initial attempt, the aliens no longer try to force the door open; they merely make noises to distract the family from their bid to enter through the coal chute. So it's not at all far-fetched that doors hold the creatures back, especially since they don't seem to be physically very strong. Morgan's book even suggests their advanced brains would reduce the need for physical strength. And other than some menacing posturing, the alien in the living room puts up very little resistance to Merrill's baseball bat attack.
The other major point that critics of Signs try to make is that no intelligent beings would invade a planet with so much water if they themselves were susceptible to it. The answer to this is two-fold. First, a radio playing in the basement the next morning features a caller who insists that the creatures "weren't here for our planet... they were here for us." So the aliens were on a hunt of sorts, and it ought to be plainly obvious that if you want to catch a human, you have to go to where the humans live, no matter how treacherous the territory. Some extremely misguided critics have claimed the water vapor present in normal air should have destroyed the aliens sooner, which is silly. It's a matter of quantity and concentration. Think of all the substances we humans consume on a daily basis that would be toxic in greater amounts. We sprinkle salt on all our food, but eat a pound of it at once and you'll be dead. Our drinks are laced with caffeine, a deadly poison in amounts of just a few grams, and yet we feed it to our children with few reservations. The alien skin probably operates similar to the way our liver processes alcohol: able to handle or perhaps even thrive on small amounts at a slow rate, but easily overwhelmed by overexposure.

The second part of the answer is that these critics are making a major mistake in trying to ascribe human rationality onto these alien beings. They're aliens, which means they are different. Just because they're humanoid in shape doesn't mean they adhere to some arbitrary human ideas about rationality and philosophy. So while these aliens could conceivably have created some protective suits, perhaps they have religious beliefs that forbid it. Or maybe they subscribe to some "warrior code" that would bring them shame for using too great an advantage against their adversaries. Perhaps they're like the creature from Predator that takes great satisfaction in the challenge of the hunt, or maybe alien environmentalists and animal ethicists have declared it illegal to capture lowly humans without giving them a fighting chance for survival. Hell, we don't even know for sure that the creatures we see really are smart enough for intergalactic travel; maybe these are just an inferior, subservient class of alien bred to be foot soldiers for the more intelligent race that stays in the mother ship. Perhaps it's more cost-effective for them to send 20 of these pawns than to send one water-resistant super-soldier. Decisions based on economics often appear to fly in the face of ordinary reason.

And any one of these explanations is just as plausible as any other, because we're talking about a completely alien race about which we know virtually nothing. So please, drop the anthropomorphism and accept that whatever motive these things had for acting as they did is irrelevant to the story of Graham's realization of the power and miracles of God.

jesus , i cant believe someone went out of there way to defend signs like that, was i the guy who wrote it or something?

my idea for a film is called "yellow prayer in the snow" where some guy pee's his name in the snow and everyone thinks its a message from god proclaiming him as jesus reborn. You think its similar to the life of Brian but its not.

watched(and taped) dead babies from channel4. good, if odd film. then bubba hotep with the king's comentery on. very, very funny.

oh shit said:
i'm the only person i've met who thought this movie sucked!
Why so? I though twas marvellous altogether...although watching it in Berlin probably added to the effect..."Potsdamer Platz ist gefallen!"..."hang on, that's where I am right now!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back