What movie did you watch last night? (24 Viewers)

Kong: Skull Island. Good enough, I was entertained for the most part. Liked the nods to Apocalypse Now. Tom Hiddleston is not convincing mercenary hardman type with his plummy Eton accent though. Could've done with more monsters too but a solid 7/10
Kong: Skull Island (2017) - IMDb

The Void. Some horror nerds were creaming themselves over this on an FB group and granted it does have some cool practical creature effects, heavily influenced by The Thing and Lovecraft, but ultimately it was a bit stupid. 6/10 most of those marks are for the excellent special effects.

The Void (2016) - IMDb

Beyond the Hills (2012): Romanian art house from the guy that made 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days. Similar themes here, 2 womens relationship placed under unusual/extreme difficulties. For want of a better word I enjoyed 4M3W2D more than this, but I am still digesting it.

Still really excellent. Cristian Mungiu is one to follow.

Noticed some nice Exorcist references too.

Dupa dealuri (2012) - IMDb

We went to see Ending In Style or whatever the fuck it's called. Three guys in their 70s rob a bank. It was like an American take on I, Daniel Blake. That is to say, they turned it into a comedy with a little bit of sad face.
7/10 family fun

Beyond the Hills (2012): Romanian art house from the guy that made 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days. Similar themes here, 2 womens relationship placed under unusual/extreme difficulties. For want of a better word I enjoyed 4M3W2D more than this, but I am still digesting it.

Still really excellent. Cristian Mungiu is one to follow.

Noticed some nice Exorcist references too.

Dupa dealuri (2012) - IMDb
He has a new one out, right?

I didn't really like 4M3W2D. Apart from it being an incredibly difficult watch I didn't really buy the premise. Didn't find it believable what she did. Maybe that's just stupidity or a lack of empathy on my part. I do think if you make something exceedingly grim enough you're likely to win plaudits regardless.

His other movie Tales from the Golden Age was great though. Apparently he wrote it first but it felt wrong to make the more light-hearted version of the Ceausescu era before something more serious.

Supersonic - the Oasis documentary from last year. Actually really enjoyed this because I loved Oasis and TRAGICALLY never got to see them. Was at their last gig in Paris where they broke up before coming on stage. I think I've mentioned that before. It's a sore point. Pricks.

Bone Tomahawk - horror/western with Kurt Russel recommend by @george mcfly at the unofficial 2015 Thumped Xmas Party. This was brilliant. Still slightly disturbed by one scene in particular.

Last two nights. Love & Friendship a good Jane Austen adaptation. Zips along. Wonderfully conniving female characters. Kate Beckinsale, who I never really rated before is really good. Still probably not as gone as some people on Whit Stillman but it's good fun.

The Elephant Man, in honour of John Hurt. Couldn't find a stream for Personal Shopper and didn't mind in the end as it reminded me to go back to this.

Personal Shopper. Kirsten Stewart plays a young woman with a connection to the afterlife, who's also an assistant to a super famous actress in Paris. Interesting film. More mysterious than scary. Took itself a bit seriously but I liked it. Kirsten is a ride

Over the Edge - Recommended to me by Kurt Cobain.
Interesting 70s film about an odd community 'complex' of bored kids who rebel.

Patriots Day - Boston Marathon attack. Very good film, didnt really know much about it, though it would be typical american 'how can they do this to us' type film but honestly it was really well done. Didnt know the whole story about the subsequent after the attack stuff and it was pretty well done. Favourite film this year so far.

Cleared a few from the Virgin box over the weekend.

Dawn of the Dead remake (2004) - good medium budget fun. Dialogue writes itself. Main lady is a fox.
American Hustle (2013) - Went in expecting not to like it so didn't have much of a chance. Didn't like it.
An American Werewolf in London (1981) - way weirder than I remembered, forgot all about the Nazi Monster dreams. Also forgot that Jenny Agutter is in it. bonus. Great flick.
The Hunt (2012) - Danish. Mads Mikkelsen is accused of sexual assault while working at a primary school. He is excellent as usual.
Manic Street Preachers: Escape from History (2017) - Sky Arts commissioned documentary on the making of Everything Must Go. Pretty good. As a teenage manics fan those first four albums gave me huge amounts of pleasure. Great hearing some (tiny snippets) of demos and rehearsals of some of those songs. As usual with these things it needed less talking heads and more from the band about the writing and recording process. I'm talking guitars, amps, expensive chords. Gimmie dat.

And no matter how many times you say Everything Must Go is a masterpiece is doesn't make it true stuart maconie. Also it needed to stfu about A Design for Life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back