What movie did you watch last night? (16 Viewers)

Ali's worst hour.

A proud black man talking about another black man like that. I know you gotta sell tickets, but fucking Jesus.

And I love Ali.

Frazier said that when he saw latter day Ali on TV he would tell whoever he was with "I did that to him."

That's proper hatred right there.

Machete kills. This was dumb. less likeable, dumber than the first. Still mindless cartoon violence, More cameo's than you could obliterate with a REC7, and a vague attempt at a "plot". So dunno, 3.5/4/10 maybe???

Pacific Rim ..Giant robots Vs monsters..I unplugged my brain and had an enjoyable 2 hours.
7.3 on IMDB..I'd call it more 6.4.
Interested to see it was directed by that Del Toro chap.Did'nt think that was his style.

Would have been way better as a sequel. I wanted to see more of the Russians & the Chinese lads.

Would have been way better as a sequel. I wanted to see more of the Russians & the Chinese lads.

Yeah..coulda done with more Russians.

For some reason the big Russian fella reminded me of HMD

Machete kills. This was dumb. less likeable, dumber than the first. Still mindless cartoon violence, More cameo's than you could obliterate with a REC7, and a vague attempt at a "plot". So dunno, 3.5/4/10 maybe???

10/10 for me!!!
It was ludicrous, just as I would have wanted. It also had 2 nerd puns in the space of around 30 seconds, one involving a pickle, and the other a launchpad. Amazing. Also, Carlos Estevez.

10/10 for me!!!
It was ludicrous, just as I would have wanted. It also had 2 nerd puns in the space of around 30 seconds, one involving a pickle, and the other a launchpad. Amazing. Also, Carlos Estevez.

It was probably that space trailer that put me off from the get go. Just trying to hard, cramming as many references as possible, as quickly as possible. Plus, first one was just way better.

Behind The Candleabra ...meh city USA.

IMDB gives it a 7 ...I'm rating it..5.5

I'm starting to get sick of movies full of bad wigs.

Lovelace. Really, really good, but way too short*.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

* that's what she said, etc.

Saw it nine hours ago. My nerves are still shot! Film of the year for me.

Prisoners, thought it was terrific.

Other that Zodiac I think it's the best thing that Gyllenhaal has been in, and the best that Jackman has ever been by a million miles
Prisoners, thought it was terrific.

Other that Zodiac I think it's the best thing that Gyllenhaal has been in, and the best that Jackman has ever been by a million miles

e="Unicron, post: 1520381, member: 1569"]Prisoners, thought it was terrific.

Other that Zodiac I think it's the best thing that Gyllenhaal has been in, and the best that Jackman has ever been by a million miles[/quote]
Saw I

Not bad if you're into found footage/anthology horror films. The third story is pretty nuts.
MV5BODg4OTMxNDAxMV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjM4ODQ0OQ@@._V1_SX214_.jpg

What Richard Did

what-richard-did-poster.png

In the past i've taken issue with several of Lenny Abrahamssons films for portraying Irealnd as a grim shit hole where no one is ever happy. But of course that's not true because according to his latest film everyone on the southside is having a fucking whale of a time. Riding like it's going out of fashion, drinking til the wee hours and generally having a ball of a time. Hey Lenny and everyone else in the film making game in Ireland.

THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT THE REST OF US HAVE BEEN DOING TOO.

It's hard for me not to be frustrated as the first hour of What Richard Did is basically a film about young happiness and revellry and of course it continues the cinematic trend of creating a link between happiness, general abandon and wealth. Not youth, wealth. Can we once have a film where the main characters are young and enjoy themselves and still work a shit job, like maxol or tesco ? Please just for once.

Of course Abrahamsson is much more at home discussing the upper classes of Dublin having himself graduated from Trinners you get the feeling that this is a world which he knows quite well and as such the film is well observed and has a veracity to it which I felt was missing from both Garage and Adam and Paul. When the gears shift midway through the film and Abrahamsson presents us with the adverse effects of youthful arrogance and irresponsibility it doesn't quite work as well. Make no mistake this is a fie film. The performances are spot on, the script which is adapted from a Novel by igiegb called Bad Day At Blackrock is tight and tidy and the deliberate pacing of the film allows the main characthers to develop extremely well and allows it's second half to unfold in a believable and understated way. There is much here to admire. The one and only flaw that the film has is that Abrahamsons hands off approach to morality means that as the film draws to a close and we as an audience are asked to question the films charachters and events I found it hard to engage with. It lacks tension and one scene which is included to add weight to procedings comes across instead as contrived.
For a character study about morality it left me feeling that the characters didn't really matter. The society in which the events take place seemed so self involved and vapid that I found it hard to believe or care about it's outcome. That of course is a fine reason to see a film but I wasn't totally sure if that was the effect it's makers where hoping it would have.

Either way this is Abrahamson's best film to date and it's well worth seeing.

Blue Jasmine

blue_jasmine_ver2.jpg

Woody Allen's best film in years go see it. It's great. Cate Blanchette is absolutely brilliant. The script is brilliant. It looks great. The supporting cast are perfect. It's just a brilliant film. Anything else I say would be superfluous. It's Brilliant.

Trans Siberian

transsiberian_xlg.jpg

Sometimes critics get things completely wrong. This film holds a Rotten Tomatoes rating of 91% and sifting through the quotes from critics who I'd normally trust I can't see how the fuck they ended up lauding it so heavily. It's predictable, it lacks tension. It takes far too many silly turns and it's not even any fun. The performances are drab. The setting is never fully utilised and the plot is one of those coincidence laden pieces of shit that you feel was written by a person so lazy that they probably never bothered to actually go see the film when it was finished and have no idea just how bad it actually is. And what happened to Ben Kingsley ? He used to be right up there beside Daniel Day Lewis on that high plateau of "can do no wrong" and get's nominated for an oscar every time they get out of bed. I'm starting to believe that he doesn't know he was even in The Sopranos. Maybe the crew just followed him around and that's what he's really like. It's shit. Don't bother.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back