What movie did you watch last night? (7 Viewers)

True Grit
watch-true-grit-online.jpg

Fine performances, snappy direction, some nice Cohensian side flights and swoops, it looks great it, and it is gritty (at times). if only it wasn't lacking in any tension whatsoever it would be brilliant.

Over my only gripe is that it's just not quite quirky (for want of a better term) enough or consistantly gritty (for want of a better term) enough. it sort of falls between two stools and could have been brilliant if it had hit the nail squarely on the head. Still it is highly entertaining and zips along at a fair auld whack. Worth seeing if for nothing else Brendan Gleesons son being sweaty.

362082465_a0e4c2ae53_o.jpg

LAST HURRAH FOR CHIVALRY. Plenty of kung fu treachery in this. No jumping sideways in slow motion, fluttering capes or doves though.

MrVampirePoster.jpg

Mr. VAMPIRE. Chinese hopping vampires. The parts that are supposed to be funny are actually funny.

Better or worse than Taken?

Well, certainly a whole lot less enjoyable than Taken.
Taken had a more linear progression and it had ass-kicking. You knew where you were with it all the time.
This one has the mystery element thrown in and significantly less ass-kicking.
You're trying to figure out the mystery/twist and not enough people are suffering/dying while you do that.

It's not horrible, but Taken raised the bar quite a bit for this type of silly sub-Bourne routine.

Taken is fucking amazing. Anyone that disagrees is wrong.
I can't wait to see this new one. Bascially, Liam Neeson running around killing people and shit = Great film if you ask me.

Also, I heard Mr.Vampire is great, I'll have to download I mean buy it, ahem

Taken is fucking amazing. Anyone that disagrees is wrong.
I can't wait to see this new one. Bascially, Liam Neeson running around killing people and shit = Great film if you ask me.

I loved Taken. A brilliant action film with a fantastic geopolitical subtext.

This new film is more like the Fugitive with Jason Bourne's Dad though.
Tell me how great it is again after you see it.

Also, I heard Mr.Vampire is great, I'll have to download I mean buy it, ahem

See the link to the Shaw Brothers film download site somewhere up the page. It's on the Hong Kong one linked off that. Like so.
(I actually bought it second hand for a fiver, but you can't it get it new at all in region 2, and usually it's a hefty enough price second hand.)

Also - in addition to being one of the best action films of recent years, Taken had the right idea with the trailer. Just the scene where he's on the phone to the kidnappers, saying he'll find them and kill them. Basically tells you everything you need to know (i.e. Liam Neeson is a bad motherfucker) and doesn't give anything away (I'm looking at you, trailer for the American).

w (i.e. Liam Neeson is a bad motherfucker)

In the trailer there was also an element of Liam Neeson is a bad motherfucker??
which became a very enjoyable Liam Neeson is a bad motherfucker!! when you watched the film.
It promised and then rewarded.

[Yeah, I know he was Ra's al Ghul before Taken but he still wasn't really considered a guy who bashed a lot of heads against sinks]

IMDB has just informed me about something allegedly due out this year called Last Stand, where Neeson is the entire listed cast. The spiel is "A drug cartel leader busts out of a courthouse and speeds to the Mexico border, where the only thing in his path is a sheriff (presumably Neeson) and his inexperienced staff. "

Director is Kim Ji-Woon (A Bittersweet Life, The Good, The Bad, The Weird), who is a man who knows how to make a decent film.

Also - in addition to being one of the best action films of recent years, Taken had the right idea with the trailer. Just the scene where he's on the phone to the kidnappers, saying he'll find them and kill them. Basically tells you everything you need to know (i.e. Liam Neeson is a bad motherfucker) and doesn't give anything away (I'm looking at you, trailer for the American).

Agreed..the trailer sent shivers down your spine.

I like the the way every single Eastern European in the film is either kicked in the balls or chopped in the throat. (not that I have anything against Eastern Europeans)

Watched 'Blue Valentine' and was so very underwhelmed. People were going batshit for it, and I thought although featuring two EXCELLENT performances, the film itself was meh. Like good, it was good, but with all the hype I expected excellent and it just sort of... bored me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back