What movie did you watch last night? (19 Viewers)

The shoot out while still drinking and fucking is one of cinema's best scenes ever...

It did help that I had a 4 pack of cheap Polish Lager with me.

It's already been pointed out that there was a similar scene in Shoot 'Em Up, right?

Where did you watch it? What lager did you have?

went to a director's Q&A screening of this last night. really bad movie. incredibly boring
monsters-warning-placard_650.jpg

thought it was great. there you go.

Really - I missed that.
beer3.jpg

prob not safe for work if Monica Bellucci's orgasmic yelps are the kind of thing that work would frown on.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Nice one on the lager.
Karpackie. New one on me.

I have to see this Nic Cage flick before it finishes.

the-kings-speech-movie-poster.jpg

The Kings Speech.
Not bad. I'll probably sit through it again in a couple of years some Sunday afternoon on TV
Then, it'll be shown constantly
And eventually and everyone except your mother will be fantastically bored by it
And wonder what the hell all the Oscar fuss was about.

Firth was good in a "you never go full retard" way.
I though Geoffery Rush was better - there was always a hint of social climbing in his desire to befriend the king, which kept it a little bit more interesting than it might have been.
Thimothy Spall was awful as Churchill
Derek Jackobi was no great shakes either
I'm on the fence about Helena Bonham Carter - on the one hand meh, on the other she did seem to capture something physical I can't quite put my finger on of the queen mother.

It's certainly well written,

Still though, it's still just an unlikely friends in trying times story, and every beat of the plot was very very predictable

Nothing else works
Meet stranger who challenges you
First session goes badly
Storm off
Great failure compels you to try again
You train hard
Make progress
The stakes are raised
You fall out with your trainer
You realise you need him
You fall back with him, but this time on a deeper level
More training
You make your speech/fight Apollo Creed etc.

Thimothy Spall was awful as Churchill

I liked him!

I think the acting was fine overall but I'm easily convinced anyway

It's certainly well written,

Still though, it's still just an unlikely friends in trying times story, and every beat of the plot was very very predictable

Nothing else works
Meet stranger who challenges you
First session goes badly
Storm off
Great failure compels you to try again
You train hard
Make progress
The stakes are raised
You fall out with your trainer
You realise you need him
You fall back with him, but this time on a deeper level
More training
You make your speech/fight Apollo Creed etc.

predictable does not equal bad.

Getting something interesting from predictable is just as good, if not much better, than simply doing 'new, new, new'. In fact, if it's all unexpected then you're more likely to forgive or miss shitty writing.

Plus, it wasn't told in the most predictable way. As an example, this film could have gone down the route of endless scenes of his abuse as a kid in order to pull our heart strings a bit more. Or start the film just before his speech at the end and then do the entire film as Walk the Royal Line.

not that I care about the oscars BTW or that I think this is actually the 'best' anything this year

predictable does not equal bad.

Definitely.
And I did enjoy it, it's just there is very little suspense and you are never really afraid that things won't turn out OK at the end.

There were some great moments.
The opening speech at Wembley, the neighing horse and the people all too embarrassed for him to even look at him.

Hitchens made a big deal about it being completely historically inaccurate, has had a bit of a flame war with the writer, (the only interesting thing to come out of it was the coining of the phrase "The Puffington Host), I don't know enough to judge who's right.

For me it was colour-by-numbers Oscar bait, made enjoyable by a couple of good turns by the leads and the fact that the affliction itself was finally being used for something other than laughs.

How much did it make you want to see a Edward & Wallis movie though?
They actually looked fun.

I find his deification as a style icon truly bizarre.
He is ground zero for a kind of fussy/sporty/preppy style that I find repulsive.
That Ralph Lauren/Brooks Brothers thing that makes me want to shoot people in the face comes from him via JFK.

how can someone not know what karpackie is?

Sheltered life.
I only ever drink Guinness, red wine and whiskey.

I find his deification as a style icon truly bizarre.
He is ground zero for a kind of fussy/sporty/preppy style that I find repulsive.
That Ralph Lauren/Brooks Brothers thing that makes me want to shoot people in the face comes from him via JFK.

Something else I din't know about.
Are we talking about Colin Firth?

Edit: Well, whaddyaknow?
http://entertainmeorelse.blogspot.com/2010/12/let_30.html

completely historically inaccurate,

oh, that's a bit of a pity. Not a surprise, but a pity.

For me it was colour-by-numbers Oscar bait

yes, I suppose so. I try not to pay attention to awards though so I guess i'm not so bothered.

How much did it make you want to see a Edward & Wallis movie though?
They actually looked fun.

indeed!

His walk to the recording room at the end reminded me of the long walk up the stairs of the RIAM before a music exam!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back