What movie did you watch last night? (4 Viewers)

La Casa Muda

cartel%20la%20casa%20muda%20uruguay.jpg

Decent horror done in one single shot of 80 minutes or so.
Initially quite strong, with great use of sound and then goes a bit bonkers toward the end.
Worth a look.

Drive Angry - Enjoyable nonsense if you like dopey action films like me.

If you don't, don't bother, the reality is there's only a couple of good action scenes. The guy who plays Satan's helper is class though.

the-town-poster.jpg

The Town

Ben Affleck isn't a great actor, he's average at best. Neither is Mel Gibson though but Ben like Mel knows he's a limited auld hack and so when he directs a movie with himself as the star he doesn't give himself too much to do. Good thinking really. Like Mel, Ben knows how to move his film along at a fair auld pace and has an eye for how to keep the cogs of the plot mechanics hidden from view (just) and ticking over without letting them run the show. The Town, like Gone Baby Gone moves along breezily, has its moments, Affleck looks like a hard man and his relationship with Rebbecca Hall is light enough so neither has to really act too much (Hall's horn worthy is a weird "looks like a real person" kind of way. She's got a big mouth and mad teeth which kind of adds to her appeal in a mad way.) Jeremy Renner is uber tough and does a fine job and John Hamm is ....well he's just John Hamm this time he's Don Draper - G man which is fine. The plot goes along and as with all heist movies there's an inevitability to the shoot outs and chasing but here as Hamm points out there's always a weak link so in that way the film almost refers to it's own inevitabity (should have done this more like Heat did but then heat is a masterpiece and this isn't) . So the FBI ramp up the pressure and try to get in everybodys face and so inevitability clicks on the plot. Well made, uncomplicated thriller. Won't blow your mind but doesn't let you down if you really want to watch a Ben Affleck movie.

If you don't, don't bother, the reality is there's only a couple of good action scenes. The guy who plays Satan's helper is class though.

I'm looking forward to watching this with a few cans of karpackie..

love_and_other_drugs.jpg

A wierd mis mash of tones.

It's like watching Cadillac Men, some pixie dreamgirl nonsense, Michael Moore and some illness related weepie all at once.

Doesn't do a great job at any of them.

(hard to argue with so much naked Ann Hathaway though!)

Not great I thought. Not good enough filmatism wise, or not ridiculous enough. A bit half arsed really, which is not the level of arsedness I like to see. William Fichtner is by far the best thing about it, doing much the same character as in Prison Break. The Cage is extremely tame in this. Could have as easily been done by a Jason Statham instead.

Unfortunately no one making it seemed to give a shit either, except William Fichtner. They could at least have had some more angry driving, or dropped in whole sections of Mad Max 2 or something.

Lost in Translation.

I'm a big Bill Murray fan, but I'm not really sure about this. It had it's good parts, but it got a little boring. I think it could have shown more of the loneliness side better. I mean, it's a great idea.... and has so much potential. It also made me rather hesitant on the Tokyo lifestyle. It all seems so... non-stop. Decent enough film, wouldn't watch it again though.

View attachment 6841

A wierd mis mash of tones.

It's like watching Cadillac Men, some pixie dreamgirl nonsense, Michael Moore and some illness related weepie all at once.

Doesn't do a great job at any of them.

(hard to argue with so much naked Ann Hathaway though!)

Watched this last night (not by choice). A truly bizarre film. Doesn't know what it is and it ends up as nothing but complete bollocks. I absolutely hated it. Read some reviews online today and was amazed to see the Irish Times gave it 4 stars.

I'm Still Here.

220px-I%27m_Still_Here_poster.jpg

Casy Affleck and Joaquin Pheonix think there smarter and funnier than most folks and as it turns out they're only smarter than the American media as a result the real real parts of the film are the most interesting parts, the "real" parts are as "real" as any other mockumetary but not quite as consistantly funny as Spinal Tap or best in show. It's occaisionally hillarious but unfortunately they veer too far from believable to fully fool you. Ultimately there is a satire going on here but it's taking aim at the media, stardom and pampered half wits which unfortunately has been done before and better. Worth seeing for the real real media reactions to the watching the car crash.

I'm Still Here.

220px-I%27m_Still_Here_poster.jpg

Casy Affleck and Joaquin Pheonix think there smarter and funnier than most folks and as it turns out they're only smarter than the American media as a result the real real parts of the film are the most interesting parts, the "real" parts are as "real" as any other mockumetary but not quite as consistantly funny as Spinal Tap or best in show. It's occaisionally hillarious but unfortunately they veer too far from believable to fully fool you. Ultimately there is a satire going on here but it's taking aim at the media, stardom and pampered half wits which unfortunately has been done before and better. Worth seeing for the real real media reactions to the watching the car crash.

i got halfway through before i had to turn it off. terrible.

fairly stupid that it's obviously been made with more than one camera yet there's no indication a second camera / crew exists in any of the shots (in the half that i saw)

The "charachter" that Pheonix plays in it is about as annoying a person as you could imagine, but then I imagine that there are thousands of these wandering the streets of hollywood earning millions right now. It's a shame he's never as bat shit crazy as this guy
charlie-sheen1916.jpg

It picks up near the end when he burns out and the media run wild dancing on his bones.

shadow-whip.jpg

THE SHADOW WHIP. Cheng Pei Pei and her uncle (Tien Feng) are hiding out in the middle of nowhere bexcause the uncle may or may not be a notorious villain, and there may or may not be some fighting.

comanche-station-1960-dvd-randolph-scott-nancy-gates-445-p.jpg

COMANCHE STATION. Randolph Scott buys back a white woman from the Comanches and is takng her home through hostile territory, accompanied by some other dudes who may or may not have bad intentions towards them both (if you're ever seen a western before, you'll know which). Not quite as good as Seven Men From Now, but it's pretty good.

Drive-Angry_3d-poster-2.jpg

MIlton (as in John Milton, geddit) is back from hell to avenge the murder of his wife and family. He literally drives out of hell too. This movie is dumb, cliched and predictable and I loved it it. The only thing that would have made it better if Chris Walken played Hell's agent instead of the guy from Office Space. The shoot out while still drinking and fucking is one of cinema's best scenes ever...

It did help that I had a 4 pack of cheap Polish Lager with me.

I hope the sequal is called Drive Angrier in 4D.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back