What movie did you watch last night? (4 Viewers)

About 50/50 torrents / DVDs. Mostly the stuff with subtitles is DVD, most of the rest downloaded. Kind of averse to downloading subtitles films because I never figured out how to get streaming to the PS3 and srt files to co-operate, and haven't gotten around to setting up the film watching PC for those yet.

Although I did find this of late. Loads of rapidshare links to Shaw Brothers films, and the Hong Kong one linked off that has a lot of decent stuff as well. A lot of these aren't available in region 2 either, or are out of print and horribly expensive these days.

MV5BMjIyOTg1NzU0Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjA2OTY5Mw@@._V1._SY317_.jpg

Enjoyable.
Makes me mad though, like that poor guy who committed suicide in the UK.

I'm in the states this week and the lunacy has been ratcheted up a notch by Scott Walker and his tea party chums.
I am constantly overhearing conversations that leave me in a state of teeth grinding fury.
I seem to always about 10 seconds from butting into someone conversation and starting a speech about Runnymede and the Magna Carta.

I was here for the presidential election too, that was bad, but this sees so much worse; more coarse, ignorant, ill informed.
I'm not sure there is a more politically illiterate nation on earth.

MV5BMjIyOTg1NzU0Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjA2OTY5Mw@@._V1._SY317_.jpg

Enjoyable.
Makes me mad though, like that poor guy who committed suicide in the UK.

I'm in the states this week and the lunacy has been ratcheted up a notch by Scott Walker and his tea party chums.
I am constantly overhearing conversations that leave me in a state of teeth grinding fury.
I seem to always about 10 seconds from butting into someone conversation and starting a speech about Runnymede and the Magna Carta.

I was here for the presidential election too, that was bad, but this sees so much worse; more coarse, ignorant, ill informed.
I'm not sure there is a more politically illiterate nation on earth.

That pic won't open for me.

True Grit

Not bad, but like a lot of Coen Brother movies, the dialogue and moustaches take some getting used to. Very good performances though, and some cracking scenes. Could have done without the last 15 mins or so though.

Didn't realise your man was Matt Damon, until the end credits.

Preferred The Kings Speech and Blue Valentine... seeing as it's Oscar season

True Grit was completely pointless.

Good acting, some good dialogue, it seems to me it was shot well (although I wouldn't really know) but a truly awful story. Almost every scene could have been cut and pasted anywhere else in the film and it wouldn't have made a difference.

An enjoyable disaster

All movies are pointless, really. I thought True Grit was wonderful myself.

I don't mean in that way. I just felt that True Grit had no pay off for anything that happened in it. It was just a bunch of almost unconnected scenes.

blackdynamite-horizposter-img.jpg

I have never laughed so much in my life

Amazing film - it was everything that 'I'm gonna sucka tryed to be. An excellent parody of the genre without spitting in its eye. It was great that they showed it in the Screen cinema too. A zest for kung-fu treachery is not an admirable trait...

truck-turner.jpg

TRUCK TURNER. Up there with any blaxploitation film I've seen. This has everything. Isaac Hayes, Isaac Hayes' cat peeing on his only shirt, Yaphet Kotto as a pimp, loads more pimps including one with a diamond studded eyepatch, a pimp funeral, chases, Scatman Crothers, explosions, shooting. Also there is obviously funky music.

MPW-38270

ACROSS 110TH STREET. This is about how trying to get out of the ghetto is a day to day fight, and may sometimes involve robbing the mob's collection from the black gang in Harlem and shooting a couple of cops while making your escape. Anthony Quinn as old white cop and Yaphet Kotto as young black cop trying to track down the cop killers are almost incidental characters, it's as much about the the initial robbers and the mob trying to get to them before the cops do. Extremely good.

51Y2B6Xp7aL.jpg

KILLER SNAKES. This is the Shaw Brothers remake of Willard,except with snakes replacing the rates, and with extra bondage scenes. Could have done with being about 15 minutes shorter. Minor ridiculousness, the snakes making whooshing sounds as they move and sometimes flying at people. It does have its moments, but it's not great really.

On Black Dynamite, Roger Ebert's review has a pertinent point about modern filmatism.

Ebert said:
I am happy to say it brings back an element sadly missing in recent movies, gratuitous nudity. Sexy women would "happen" to be topless in the 1970s movies for no better reason than that everyone agreed, including themselves, that their breasts were a genuine pleasure to regard -- the most beautiful naturally occurring shapes in nature, I believe. Now we see breasts only in serious films, for expressing reasons. There's been such a comeback for the strategically positioned bed sheet, you'd think we were back in the 1950s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back