What movie did you watch last night? (17 Viewers)

the_american_poster-535x824.jpg

I enjoyed it.
I can see how a certain type of moviegoer would absolutely hate it.

Can anyone help me with a question:
in Roger Ebert's review he says that at one point in the film Mr. Butterfly is said by the wrong person and that fact completely turns the plot around.
I don't get it

The client calls him Mr. Butterfly because of the incident with the butterfly
The prostitute calls him Mr. Butterfly because of the tattoo on his back.

Where's the twist?

Also some people think Pavel kills the girl with the gun
I thought that The American had fucked with the gun (there is a scene where he takes it back outof the briefcase for some unclear reason) and it backfired somehow as she shot it.
Any ideas?

It's a while since I saw it, but he definitely realised that he was being double crossed & was her target (at some point that i can't remember) & tampered with the gun so it'd kill her

that wasn't much help, was it?

deadly film though.

Die_hardposter.jpg

There are some things that just make everything seem right with the world. This is one of them.

220px-Die_Hard_2.jpg

Should really be called Die Not-Quite-As Hard, but it's still great.

Useless information - Die Hard With a Vengeance was called Die Hard - Mega Hard in Denmark.

I enjoyed it.
I can see how a certain type of moviegoer would absolutely hate it.

I was really disappointed mostly because the trailer made it out to be more of an action movie. I just wasn't in the mood for an atmospheric, well shot slow burner..

Riot with Gary Daniels and Sugar Ray Leonard vs the Crips and the IRA in Compton is also a good Christmas film.

Now, i'm interested in that film..

I was really disappointed mostly because the trailer made it out to be more of an action movie. I just wasn't in the mood for an atmospheric, well shot slow burner..

You seen the cover of Valhalla Rising? Making it out to look like a Viking 300 when there's about 30 seconds of fighting in the entire film, and not much more talking. Actually, the US one cover ok, it just has Mads Mikkelsen standing around in front of some mountains.

Now, i'm interested in that film..

Some marketplace people on Amazon have it for 1p plus £1.24 postage. It's definitely worth £1.25.

Scrooged.jpg

In which Bill Murray gets Scrooged, apparently.

gremlins.jpg

In which there are gremlins.

220px-Jingle_All_the_Way_poster.JPG

Not up to much apart form the bits where he fights a bunch of Santas including one with nunchuks and one who is the Big Show.

hard_revenge_milly.jpg

This has nothing to do with Christmas. Japanese short film about the titular Milly and her revenge. Pretty low budget but well made, mostly fighting or waiting around to fight. Bad guy gets stabbed with a teddy bear.

Comprehensive list of everything I watched over the christmas

Wall E,
04688824_.jpg

Brilliant nearly perfect pixar masterpiece. Best bits have no dialogue simply a brilliant film.

Godfather 1 and 2,
godfather-200x300.jpg

Two of the greatest movies ever made. They introduced the first one on RTE by saying "Leave the gun, take the canoli" which made my night. Second ones not better than the first one (I hand to say something mildly controversial)

Indiana Jones 1,2,3 and 4
200_Indiana_Jones-000.jpg

The First and third are so great it's painful the second maybe hasn't aged quite as well the 4th one is utter shit. My main problem being that the mythology they're dealing with is only 60 years old so therefore there isn't that much mythology to play with which defeats the purpose of it being an Indianna Jones movie to begin with. add in the awful acting terrible script and shite CGI and it's a dick in the arse of your childhood. Fuck you George Lucas you rapey cunt.

Green Zone
stuff_green_zone_200.jpg

One of those political thrillers were everyone in it represents something. Here Matt Damon represents the troops on the ground, Brendan Gleeson is the old CIA. Greg Kinnear is the Bush administration. Amy Ryan is the press and there's even an Iraqi civilian to represent the hopes and fears of a nation. How these films still get made is beyond me. As a result there aren't any real characters and so Paul Greengrass just hoofs his hand held and steady cams around with the kind of gay abandon of teenagers trying to make a sex tape on the back of a moped and the whole thing moves along franticly so you don't get the chance to ask any questions until inevitably there's a chase which reminds you why the Bourne Identity was good, and why this isn't.
The Way Back

The-Way-Back-Poster2-200x150.jpg

Peter Weir has made some great films this sits proudly along side them. Colin Farrell plays a Russian scumbag so he's actually quite good, Ed Harris is as craggy and male as you'd expect, Saoirse Ronan is a teenage girl who would be horribly tagged on at the last minute filler character if she couldn't act and spent the movie getting all the attention thankfully Weir's too smart to be saccharine and allows the aforementioned three to serve as back up to the important Polish Characters who provide the films drive. Jim Sturgess is excellent and the other two who's names I can't find steal the honours for being easily the most likable lads of the lot. Handily enough they all speak English but as there are 3 different nationalities and they do actually speak there own languages too this doesn't grate as badly as it could have. The plot is walking and starving, it's heavy going so it's down to pacing and cinematography to tell most of the story. Thankfully Weir is able to pace the film so that you feel exhausted throughout and some duff lines aside the whole thing just works nicely. Good old fashioned survival stuff.

That was very comprehensive alright..good job...think I might do the Godfather trilogy soon

I feel asleep trying to watch Wall E..both times it was shown

Maybe next year

Superman 4 is on now

Dreadful

Haven't watched it yet but have 'True Grit' on my hard drive and am so excited to see it I might actually die. I have to hold off for a few weeks because I have essays but ROOSTER COGBURN!

Excitement abated. I have seen it *sob* and it was fucking deadly (though I could have done without the last 5 minutes or so, not that it was offensive). It was a simply a masterful western with an excellent cast. Josh Brolin made me laugh and Jeff Bridges will always be the man, but mostly Mattie Ross is my hero

TrueGrit16a.gif
TrueGrit16a.gif
TrueGrit16a.gif
TrueGrit16a.gif

TrueGrit16a.gif
TrueGrit16a.gif
TrueGrit16a.gif
TrueGrit16a.gif

TrueGrit16a.gif
TrueGrit16a.gif
TrueGrit16a.gif
TrueGrit16a.gif

My Christmas viewing.

Black Swan: Excellent, my only complaint is that Aronofsky can't even begin to approach his symbolism with even a modicum of subtlety but sure we knew that already.

The Last Exorcism: A good premise and execution pretty much ruined by a silly ending.

The Red Shoes: First time seeing this. Start to finish awesome as expected.

I love you Philip Morris: Highly recommended. Really funny and surprising.

Greenberg: Wonderfully uncomfortable viewing. Enjoyed this much more than the squid and the whale.

Carlos (3 Film version): Loved the first two films. The third not so much.

Homicide: Early David Mamet film from '91. Strange mix of styles. Typical cop drama plus a theatrical meditation on Jewishness and implicit Anti-Semitism. Hard to recommend but I liked it.

Hot Rod: Better than average idiotic comedy.

Insomnia (1997): Original Norwegian version. Superb. Puts the Nolan remake to shame.

MacGruber: Surprisingly awesome idiotic comedy.

Splice: Nicely disturbing Cronenbergesque sci-fi.

The Loved Ones: Aussie horror billed as pretty in pink meets the texas chainsaw massacre. Enjoyably demented.

The Town: Fair play to Affleck. Quality film.

Unstoppable: Ridiculous guff that's entertaining if you're in the mood for Tony Scott doing Tony Scott cubed.

Spent yesterday on the couch with a cold & the wife was away so I managed to watch:

2012 which had cartoon levels of nonsense & was surprisingly long

Alice In Wonderland which was more of the same ould shite from Tim Burton. He really could do with changing at least one part of his movie formula.

Antichrist which I enjoyed but was an unfortunate choice to watch during dinner. I really couldn't have picked a worse time to squirt tomato ketchup onto my plate.

The Edge which I couldn't believe I hadn't gotten around to seeing before. Great film.

Black Dynamite which was as much fun as it looked.
"Ain't nothin' in the world get Black Dynamite more mad than some jive ass sucka dealin' smack to the kids!"

30 Days Of Night which started off well but didn't really keep the tension up as well as it should have.

I just watched 'Black Swan' too (powering through all the big new releases, watching 'The King's Speech' next) and thought it was absolutely glorious. I always like Aronofsky's visual style, it makes everything feel so claustrophobic, which is clearly perfect for this film. The performances are just flawless, Natalie Portman completely deserves an Oscar for this one. Vincent Cassell is always a bit brilliant, his character is so infuriating but compelling too. I kind of wanted to jump into the film and have sex with him just to resolve all the tension. Then again I felt like that about Mila Kunis too. It's wierdly difficult to find Natalie Portman attractive in 'Black Swan' though I couldn't tell you why, considering she's so flawlessly stunning.

I agree with Andy above about the symbolism, its not exactly subtext so much as whack about the temples, but it didn't spoil it for me at all.

I don't think I've ever felt so tense and on edge watching a film since I watched Mike Leigh's 'Happy Go Lucky' and that was only because I constantly felt like I was going to burst from irritation. And its so very frightening, too, and not just because I'm terrified of swans - though that was an element. Anyway, A+ Aronofsky, I underestimated you (due to being bored senseless by your other efforts)

347132028272.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back