What movie did you watch last night? (8 Viewers)

the last exorcism - as shite as someone a few pages back said,avoid.
some film about magicians and tesla who's name eludes me right now...it was rather good to my surprise.

That'd be The Prestige (unless there's another one). I'm surprised you'd be surprised at it being good. Unless you'd be surprised at Hugh Jackman being in an actual good film, which is a bit of a rarity.
Apprently the Aronofsy Wolverine film is titled THE Wolverine and IMDB synopsis is "Wolverine travels to Japan to train with a samurai warrior". Might actually be good.

Watari.jpg

Watari the Ninja Boy. All kinds of amazingness.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

That'd be The Prestige (unless there's another one). I'm surprised you'd be surprised at it being good. Unless you'd be surprised at Hugh Jackman being in an actual good film, which is a bit of a rarity.

that's the one.in my defence someone lent it to me along with 'the bucket list' and some other schmaltz so i was expecting more of the same.bit confusing towards the end what with all
the clones and character swapping

Watched this with the wee lad when babysitting and found it weirdly enjoyable. Nothing at all like my teenage years, though... I'm not sure what I was doing.

Angus-Thongs-And-Perfect-Snogging.jpg

today i watched
A70-11427

overlooked gem from the 80s. based on a brilliant crime novel by newton thornburg.

devils_playground.jpg

mad documentary about amish teenagers

The-Informant-2009-Cd-Cover-7646.jpg

really enjoyed this. great cast. matt damon is superb in it

hardrevengemilybllodybattle.png

Sequel to that short film I think I mentioned a while back. Japanese gore action played straight instead of the usual blatantly pointing out when something ridiculous happens. Almost like it was directed by a Japanese Mike Leigh.

secret-ninja.jpg

Godfrey Ho kung fu nonsense. Ridiculous dubbing, bad acting, silly fights and the great Hwang Jang Lee as the villain (who only loses to the heroes because one of the women flashes her breasts at him).

Continuing the asian buzz I watched Departures
departures.jpg

While it's probably not quite as good as the hype on the poster would have you believe it is touching, charming and occasionally (only occaisionaly funny). The "departure" scenes are directed with a gentle, knowing, assured hand which lends them a detailed, nuanced genuinely moving quality. Plot wise little happens and the laughs dry up mid way through (it's never piss your pants funny though) I didn't like the music in it and was left slightly cold by the cello interludes but any film which can survive a scene of pure schmaltz in which a man plays his childhood cello on a hillside surrounded by lakes and mountains for absolutely no reason clearly has a lot going on in it's favour. This is mannered, austere, proud, conservative folk dealing with grand emotions as such, it's very Japanese (or I assume it is) and so completely alien to most drunken Irish mentallers . Well worth a look if you like your films slight and quiet.

Continuing the asian buzz I watched Departures
departures.jpg

While it's probably not quite as good as the hype on the poster would have you believe it is touching, charming and occasionally (only occaisionaly funny). The "departure" scenes are directed with a gentle, knowing, assured hand which lends them a detailed, nuanced genuinely moving quality. Plot wise little happens and the laughs dry up mid way through (it's never piss your pants funny though) I didn't like the music in it and was left slightly cold by the cello interludes but any film which can survive a scene of pure schmaltz in which a man plays his childhood cello on a hillside surrounded by lakes and mountains for absolutely no reason clearly has a lot going on in it's favour. This is mannered, austere, proud, conservative folk dealing with grand emotions as such, it's very Japanese (or I assume it is) and so completely alien to most drunken Irish mentallers . Well worth a look if you like your films slight and quiet.

all true
also, thought his wife was an awful cunt in it

Godfrey Ho kung fu nonsense. Ridiculous dubbing, bad acting, silly fights and the great Hwang Jang Lee as the villain (who only loses to the heroes because one of the women flashes her breasts at him).

Weirdly enuff the same thing happens in the excellent Ninja In the Dragons Den..

Ha, I've had the theme from that intermittently stuck in my head for the last two weeks.

hellz-windstaff-movie-poster-1020491794.jpg

If it's used in a Wu Tang title, it's generally good shit. This most definitely is, at least it is once the silly comedy stuff at the start is dispensed with. Hwang Jang Lee is the bad guy again, does a bunch of stick fighting as on the cover and the usual impressive kicking stuff.

find_me_guilty.jpg

Sidney Lumet (12 Angry Men, Serpico, Network) continues his fine body of work with this here picture starring Mr. Vincent Diesel as a mobster defending himself because his previous lawyer was a useless shitehawk. This is Diesel's Copland.

eastern%20promises.jpg

Sex and Fury, with Reiko Ike and Christina Lindberg. Revenge, spurious nudity and Japanese Elvis lookalikes. Intermittent "Spies... " Burn Notice type voiceover from Lindberg.

It's wierdly difficult to find Natalie Portman attractive in 'Black Swan' though I couldn't tell you why, considering she's so flawlessly stunning.

347132028272.jpg

I think she looks weird because she's starting to look a little bit like Julia Roberts. I agree that her acting in it is absolutely brilliant. This seems like a ridiculous assumption to make, but Natalie Portman has always struck me as a bit of a goodie-two-shoes/over-achiever, so the role really seemed to fit her. Either way she's deadly in it.

I certainly came out of the film feeling a bit paranoid after the intensity of it but I was still a little bit not-wowed by it, I think I might watch it again at some point, see what I think then, because I was very much looking forward to seeing it and thats an easy way to set oneself up for disappointment.

Outcast-poster.jpg

Very interesting and original Irish/Scottish horror film that falls down a little in its execution but is still worth checking out..

A women with mystic powers flees Ireland to escape danger and to hide their terrible secret. Definally a breath of fresh air..

Sex and Fury, with Reiko Ike and Christina Lindberg. Revenge, spurious nudity and Japanese Elvis lookalikes. Intermittent "Spies... " Burn Notice type voiceover from Lindberg.

Oh, oh, "spurious nudity" you say? Spurious nudity.
Why, that's my favourite kind of nudity. Well, apart from gratuitous nudity of course.

"Japanese Elvis lookalikes" - meh

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back