What movie did you watch last night? (7 Viewers)

You ever seen this kung-fu film, think it was called 'The Two Crippled Heros', or something like that?
Possibly the greatest kung-fu film I've ever seen. I remember coming home from a night out about 10 years ago to find it on late night TV. I spent the next hour and a half absoultely pissing myself laughing. Fucking incredible stuff!

Some spiel from somewhere - "in the early republican years peiyang warlord committed killing and firing hua hsyung was one of sacrificers he lost his hands at that time he took his monkey with him and wandered. one day he encountered a cripple - ta chiang they had become good friends. at mean time town mayor sold munitions to peiyan warlord and this illegal business was discovered by a servant - ah chun they tried to kill her but those two cripples saved her. pei yang warlord sent a killer again to handle the two cripples unfortunately he was killed by them."

That does look pretty amazing. Especially the part about the monkey.

Just watched this:
8diagram.jpg

No mention of exactly what the 8 diagrams are, maybe they just really like the Wu Tang Clan or something. Bad guy kills Gordon Liu's brothers and father. Gordon Liu is most put out and goes out for justice via the Shaolin temple. Loads of fighting (including defanging wooden wolves) and monk related messing. This is great.

the-social-network-best-movies-ever-indie-curt-johnson2.jpg

The Social Network, which was really good. Pelted along at a fierce rated fueled by Aaron Sorkin's dialogue - the same way the episodes of the West Wing rarely let up. I read an interesting review of the film beforehand that criticized that not enough was made of the miracle of the internet as a tool democratic interaction, etc. Reading again I'm not sure how much I agree with it. Its like the guy wanted the film to deal with that, but it never intimated at any stage that it would be. He probably has a point that that kind of theme could have provided another layer to what is essentially a film about people rather than facebook itself.

http://www.tnr.com/article/books-and-arts/78081/sorkin-zuckerberg-the-social-network?page=0,0.
Either way it is tremendously entertaining and I'll probably watch it again.

lost-in-la-mancha-poster-0.jpg

Lost in La Mancha

Terry Gilliam tries to film Don Quixote and fails. Don't feel too bad Terry, Orson Wells failed too. Gilliam comes across as you'd expect as a bit (only a bit) unhinged, his gopher laugh punctuates the madness nicely and really his story boards for this should be made into a graphic novel to raise a few bob for the film as they look incredible . His First A.D bares the brunt of the producers ire as the film whimpers out of existance. It's the best "making of" documentary ever. But at it's heart that's kind of all it is. Everything that could go wrong does and the whole thing looks like it took about 5 years off the first A.Ds life. Well worth a look. If you like "making of" documentaries. I don't but this was still very good.

l2b_dvd.gif

Probably the most effective British Thriller since Sexy Beast. Extremely tense, pitch black dark, and utterly gripping from the first frames. Proper serious film making which makes you forget that people like Danny Dyer or Guy Richie exist.

No harm, but whilst the first half hour of Sexy Beast was fucking amazing, the rest of it was a pile of who gives a fuck.

I disagree. But hey who gives a fuck t'is all opinion and what not. For me Sexy Beast is great because getting into it you know it is at it's heart a gangster/heist film so when is shifts gear from ramped up tension based psycho thriller to straight ahead gangster thriller I didn't mind at all. It set it's stall out early. It's films like Adaptation (my least third act movie of all time) that I object to. One in which the first two thirds or so build a real momentum and the third act dives into "ooooh look how clever I am" bullshit. " Oooh didn't see that coming did you?" well no of course not, it's ridiculous you cock.

See also

Sunshine which does the opposite of Sexy Beast for me in that it turns into sci fi horror at exactly the point when it could have stayed the course and been brilliant. Anyway I'm glad people don't like the "rest" (so to speak, not meant to sound pedantic) of Sexy Beast. It means the first half had the desired effect, Kind of do you get me ? ( I'm totally pissed it's nearly 7 am and I love movies yay.)

Any way London to Brighton is really good.

Corm +1

saw most of this (missed the start:()
witchfinder-general.jpg

Then put on
thisisengland.jpg

Kinda odd watching this, as I'd seen the tv version first, so getting to know a lot of the characters backwards.

Lastly just watched:
last%20house%20on%20the%20left.jpg

And for it's time, can see just how much that film was pushing boundaries.
Infact, the only part I disliked was the two cops/ their obvious comic element. spoilt the rest of the films atmosphere.

is witchfinder general worth a look?

manufactured_landscapes.jpg

as recommended elsewhere by mr cattle,i enjoyed it,some heart-breaking bits in it when you see what an almighty mess we're making of the planet,well worth a look though.
Redacted.jpg

im not too sure about this one,theres a good story there but its not told very well,the acting is very hit and miss,scenes in the barracks are piss poor but they are redeemed a bit by the action scenes.not a complete waste of time but i wouldn't watch it again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back