What movie did you watch last night? (11 Viewers)

I think the production quality was a bit too low for it to be very good though!
i agree, compared to say Valhalla Rising which actually looked like it was filmed around 1000 AD and probably on a smaller budget. there were a few continuity errors in Black Death which bugged me as well but overall i was never less than gripped

les-miserables-large.jpg

madness.

Watched Standard Operating Procedure
standard_operating_procedure.jpg

Basically it's the story of the people who did this
20080408052912!Abu-ghraib-leash.jpg

abu_ghraib_new-7219061239963641.jpg

abu-ghraib-02.jpg

Having been hugely impressed by the fog of war I decided to give this a go, expecting a polemic on the state of the American military. Instead Morris makes the film a very human story about the individuals who had no adiquate training in being a prison guard and who were witnesses to systematic torture. Whether or not they were following orders is not the only point of the film, though you get the impression that they were. The point is really what effect these orders (and the unlivable situation they were put in) has had on their lives. It's all made in a tense claustrophic fashion it's visually striking and the frankness of the soldiers lends it a real depth. This is top notch.

Revanche
Revanche_main.jpg

1st hour has gangsters, prostitutes, A tough guy, an honest cop and a bank robbery. But this is an austrian movie so the 2nd doesn't turn into some bullet fueled idiocy devoid of morals and intelligence. Instead we're in the realm of realism and real men trying to cope with the aftermath of violence and the facts of mortality. In short excellent. The type of film that could easily be made in Ireland if we weren't intent on portraying ourselves as loud, brash, drunken, violent emotional retards.

In recent times:

ShawBrothers-FiveDeadlyVenoms.jpg

If you want some old school kung fu action, the Shaw Brothers are extremely reliable brothers.

casshern.jpg

Crazy Japanese shit with the dead rising and building an army of robots.

centurion-film.jpg

Extremely pointless voiceover aside, this is watchable. A few Romans being chased through the forest by a bunch of Picts.

EnterTheVoid.gif

Gaspar Noe certainly does like his floatycam. Must have been about twenty people walking past the screen in this one, motherfuckers seem unable to sit still. If these fuckers are unable to keep their arses on their seats for the duration of a film, they shouldn't go in the first place.

le_samourai_67,3.jpg

Alain Delon as a hit man double crossed by his employers.

The following would be an investigation into the directorial work of one Mario Van Peebles.

lrgpic37.jpg

Mario Van Peebles being followed on his revenge mission by a posse consisting of some other black lads and a Baldwin. Billy Zane as auxiliary bad guy in case the revenge wasn't enough.

Hard_Luck.jpg

Wesley Snipes makes off with two cases of money from some criminal types and kidnaps a stripper. Meanwhile, Cybill Shepherd is a serial killer / torturer (which Bruce Willis would never have let happen on Moonlighting) with an Asian accomplice who thinks he's a Mexican wrestler. I can't quite say this is good per se, but it's interesting.

transporter3.jpg

Not quite as ridiculous as the second one, but still pretty ridiculous. Also, I don't think he does the Chow Yun Fat in John Woo film style jumping sideways with two guns like the poster suggests. And the director is some dude Oliver Megaton, who I suspect was not born with that name.

Body+Parts.jpg

Jeff Fahey starts out asking questions about the nature of evil and what drives a man to violence. He finds out that one cause could be losing an arm in a car crash and having it replaced by an arm from a serial killer. Brad Dourif gets the other arm.

black_caesar.jpg

Fred Willliamson as Edward G Robinson.

this was better,lads fleeing across the wilds of tasmania from the hated brits,hunger finally catches them up.well shot and the soundtrack was great.

I this about Alexander Peirce?
Fascinating story - I always thought it would make an interesting film.

Do they go through his recapture and second escepe attempt?

yeah thats him alright,i had never heard the story before watching the movie,seems quite a few people thought it would make good viewing,rte and channel 4 made their own versions of his story.they stuck to the first escape in this film,covered the rest of his story with a few brief lines at the end.i dont think the film suffers for it though.
anyway,last nights viewing
2012-movie.jpg

im sure yis all know the story there,worth a look to see california getting wiped out.john cusack is some sausage.
rec2-poster.jpg

really enjoyed this,im a big fan of horror's with religious overtones so this one was great,i just wish the third one was out already.

yeah thats him alright,i had never heard the story before watching the movie,seems quite a few people thought it would make good viewing,rte and channel 4 made their own versions of his story.they stuck to the first escape in this film,covered the rest of his story with a few brief lines at the end.i dont think the film suffers for it though.

The story is in Robert Hughes book The Fatal Shore so I guess it's pretty well known. I think when everyone reads it their first reaction is "that'd make a cool film".

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back