What movie did you watch last night? (9 Viewers)

2012-movie.jpg

I had the misfortune to see this twice in the cinema
It didn't get any better with a second viewing.

EnterTheVoid.gif

Was interesting in parts and frankly dragged in others despite the visual feast. Interesting take on a film though... and I can really see the 2001: A Pace Odyssey comparisons.

As far as I know it's not available on any of the general torrent sites that I checked. Don't think there's been a DVD release yet as its cinema release run has just come around. Not sure if its showing in IFI any more.

got around to watching black death there on friday,loved it,id highly recommend it.also
La+horde+%282009%29.jpg

hmmm,it was ok,if your into zombies you'll probably enjoy it,plenty of blood and guts,it doesn't do anything new though and the characters are pretty much all assholes.

darkman_ver4.jpg

Liam Neeson gets burned by nefarious types and is out for justice like Seagal. Although he has fake skin to look like other people, so not quite exactly like Seagal. Also featuring helicopter related explosion.

poster.jpg

Mario van Peebles in Full Eclipse, which could also have been called Werewolf Magnum Force. Bruce Payne (One Tough Bastard, Passenger 57) as the werewolf boss man. Directed by Anthony Hickox, who also made the most amazing film ever that I haven't actually seen yet - Sundown, with David Carradine as Dracula and Bruce Campbell as a van Helsing.

fist-of-the-north-star-1.jpg

Gary Daniels, Chris Penn, some guy Costas Mandylor as the bad guy. Also brief appearances from Malcolm McDowell, Melvin Van Peebles. Something about a post apocalytic world with two martial arts schools who aren't supposed to fight but the bad guy wipes out Gary Daniels' schoool anyway. Daniels wanders around in the desert for a while not fighting, but there's decent enough fighting when he finally gets around to it. Chris Penn has his head tied together with leather straps to stop it exlpoding. Sounds better on paper than it actually is. It's not terrible, but I can't really recommend it.

dead-cert.jpg

From Dust to Dawn made with the cast and cast offs from Lock,Stock and Eastenders. Vampire Pikey fights and bad ass Craig Fairbass can't save this one plus they don't let Danny Dyer call anyone a mug either. Despite all this I still liked it...

I hope Fairbass gets his Lennie McClean project of the ground eventually...

fist-of-the-north-star-1.jpg

Gary Daniels, Chris Penn, some guy Costas Mandylor as the bad guy. Also brief appearances from Malcolm McDowell, Melvin Van Peebles. Something about a post apocalytic world with two martial arts schools who aren't supposed to fight but the bad guy wipes out Gary Daniels' schoool anyway. Daniels wanders around in the desert for a while not fighting, but there's decent enough fighting when he finally gets around to it. Chris Penn has his head tied together with leather straps to stop it exlpoding. Sounds better on paper than it actually is. It's not terrible, but I can't really recommend it.

this is one of the worst films i have ever seen.

pork_chop_hill_film.jpg

Classic war movie, about a company of troops, who have to take a heavily fortified hill during Korean war. It's based on an actual battle.

Recently

colad.jpg

Not sure if I gave this a mention already. This is the story of the Japanese nvasion of Chinese Nanking. Right from the first frames this is heavy stuff not just war is hell barbarism but a clear indictment of the idea of spoils of war ideals which the Japanese allowed some of the worst behaviour imaginable by their men. This is utterly gripping grim heart and gut wrenching stuff that by all accounts should leave you numb.

Recently John Rabe was released which covers much of the same ground, I haven't seen it but if you must see a movie about this historical period see this one but get the xanex ready

Gone Baby Gone
gone-baby-gone-poster.jpg

Since The Town has been released every movie buff has namechecked this saying that Ben Affleck can direct movies rather well. Well yes he can ....Kinda

Here his better actor brother plays a private dick with a virtually useless and completely pointless partner/girlfriend/hanger on ,for what reason she's there I can't figure out at all, who gets involved with a child abduction. Casey is class Ed Harris is class everyone else is grand and it all moves along quite well for the first hour or so before it twists itself into knots rather pointlessly while Affleck gives you needless flashbacks so no one gets lost. The only reason to see this really apart from curiousity about Afflecks directorial prowess is The Wires Amy Ryan as the child's mother. She is excellent and the charachter single handedly drives the whole film along to it's moral quandry finale. It's okay not total shite but ultimately not up to snuff.

Deep Water
deep-water-movie-poster1.jpg

First off I fucking loved banged up abroad when it was all stiff upper lipped brits understating their w
experinces no matter how mind bending, before eventually saying something along the lines of "and then I realised that he was going to shoot me and all I could think was yesterday we were talking about Chelsea and how good Zola was and now he's going to ...well blow my head off. It was really quite terrifying ....(sniff sniff)..and when i thought of my childrens faces .... (sniff sniff wipes eyes with hands).... I'm dreadfully sorry chaps can we take a break there'.

Now it's all Yanks saying "Awsome" and you "have no Idea" and it's total shit.

Anyway Deep Water is like the equally brilliant Touching the Void in that what you get is several stiff upper lipped brits telling the tale of the first round the world non stop boat race in 1967 and the effect it has on the mind. Suffice to say if it had been an American telling the story there would have been fucking sharks and Mermaids and probably some kind of conspiracy but here there's an utterly gripping almost under told account of a man at sea facing his demons under extreme strain. Gripping and highly recomended.

image020.jpg

Pretty much does what it says on the tin. Starts out with some dudes busting into the local heroic kung fu type's house, finding his wife and son and cutting off her legs and his arms, just to be pricks. Later, himself and the son (who now has iron fists) turn into complete pricks altogether and start doing bad shit just because they can, blinding one lad, making another deaf and dumb, chopping the legs off another and making one an idiot. These lads go off to the now-idiot's kung fu school and learn kung fu to deliver comeuppance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back