What movie did you watch last night? (22 Viewers)

Hi-Rise (2015)

A stupid, pointless, badly acted piece of tripe. It looked all right, like a really long Pulp video but whatever satirical bite that might have been in Ballard's book was severely lacking. Possibly the worst film I've ever seen, worse as it came recommended!

I also enjoyed Suicide Squad. Should I be worried?
I couldn't bring myself to watch it. I was so pissed off that I was seeing two trailers for it in a single sitting in the months before hand that I didn't watch it out of principle.

In fairness Wonderwoman was entertaining enough as long as you don't actually think about it. I'd have been better off watching Mad Max Fury Road again though.

War for the Planet of the Apes. I loved it. Best one yet. This film had everything. It was a gritty revenge thriller, a kick ass action flick, a touching story about cool friends and a thrilling prison escape film. 2 hours 20 minutes but it zips along. Great acting, directing and special effects.

War for the Planet of the Apes. I loved it. Best one yet. This film had everything. It was a gritty revenge thriller, a kick ass action flick, a touching story about cool friends and a thrilling prison escape film. 2 hours 20 minutes but it zips along. Great acting, directing and special effects.

Really looking forward to this. I've loved all of them

Watched some yoke with Benedict Cumberbatch reprising his Sherlock role where he played the guy who basically invented the computer during the war. Can't think of the name of it. It was ok.

The Beguiled - I didn't get a lot out of this one.. thought it was undercooked for the first hour and then melodramatic in a silly way for the last 30 mins. Part of the established Sofia Coppola genre of groups of ladies trapped in languid purgatory worlds, this time in the Civil War era deep South. I was convinced that Colin Farrell had shoehorned a Dublin accent onto his character for his own convenience but having looked it up the character from the original novel is actually Irish.. Quite a lot of laughs at the screening I was at, even during the last half an hour, which I'm not sure is fully intended.

The Beguiled - I didn't get a lot out of this one.. thought it was undercooked for the first hour and then melodramatic in a silly way for the last 30 mins. Part of the established Sofia Coppola genre of groups of ladies trapped in languid purgatory worlds, this time in the Civil War era deep South. I was convinced that Colin Farrell had shoehorned a Dublin accent onto his character for his own convenience but having looked it up the character from the original novel is actually Irish.. Quite a lot of laughs at the screening I was at, even during the last half an hour, which I'm not sure is fully intended.
Going to see this tomorrow. I've been watching the original with Clint Eastwood in parts this week. It's so slow

Going to see this tomorrow. I've been watching the original with Clint Eastwood in parts this week. It's so slow
It's getting quite positive press reviews so my opinion might be an outlier.. The 1971 version looks hilariously sexist, based on the trailer, all these sex starved women fighting over Mr masculinity Clint Eastwood.. the new version is at least a bit more subtle in that respect, though they've taken a bit of heat for erasing the one black character from the story.

It's getting quite positive press reviews so my opinion might be an outlier.. The 1971 version looks hilariously sexist, based on the trailer, all these sex starved women fighting over Mr masculinity Clint Eastwood.. the new version is at least a bit more subtle in that respect, though they've taken a bit of heat for erasing the one black character from the story.

I watched the 1971 version in the past couple of weeks in preparation for this new one as it had been a film club choice on the little white lies podcast a while back. It is gross and weird and creepy (Eastwood's character is a proper nonce) but also really rather good, there's loads of psychedelic movie tricks that you'd see lots of from that period, crash zooms etc.

I watched the 1971 version in the past couple of weeks in preparation for this new one as it had been a film club choice on the little white lies podcast a while back. It is gross and weird and creepy (Eastwood's character is a proper nonce) but also really rather good, there's loads of psychedelic movie tricks that you'd see lots of from that period, crash zooms etc.
The whole hearing the characters inner thoughts thing really dates it

The Big Sick. Thought this was really, really good; even Everybody loves Raymond was great in it. Holly Hunter's scene in the comedy club is just fantastic.

Night of the Living Dead. A game changer. 5/5
giphy.gif

Watched Dunkirk. It's good but a typical Nolan film for me - stunning set pieces, great score, brilliant special effects but it's massively let down by bland characters and corny dialogue. It's also another film where you can't make out a word Tom Hardy says.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Watched Dunkirk. It's good but a typical Nolan film for me - stunning set pieces, great score, brilliant special effects but it's massively let down by bland characters and corny dialogue. It's also another film where you can't make out a word Tom Hardy says.
I felt like Nolan's apparent lack of interest/ability in making properly rounded characters didn't matter much in Dunkirk because the characters are kind of dwarfed by the scale of the event, they're just giving you various different points of view of the terror and hopelessness of it. Must have only been about 10 pages of dialogue in the whole thing. I think this kind of simpler elemental type of film-making suits Nolan's strengths, I liked it more than anything of his since Memento, I reckon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back