What movie did you watch last night? (11 Viewers)

Boyhood

Thought it was very good. Has any other movie purposely filmed the same cast on the same job for a similar amount of time? Was cool watching them get older over the course of nearly three hours. Got a little bit too coming of age at times but even so, bearable during those bits. But overall, great watch.

Also, that guy working in the off license where the 2 lads are buying grog for their dad/step dad, same offie clerk from Dazed And Confused yeah?

INTERSTELLAR

Fucking great film that is pretty much an argument for space exploration, told in a very humanistic manner. Most of the acting is great, most of the ideas in the film are great, this is hard sci-fi and I loved it. Visuals were bloody amazing - I saw this in iMax and it is definitely worthwhile!
The direction of the film is somewhat iffy, merely because the whole experience seems like a tribute to 2001, except that 2001 is still better. There are many parallels in terms of the story line, and the visual and musical constructions often seem to be deliberately reminiscent of 2001 or too deliberately saying "look, it's a space opera wow!"
Music - typical modern Hans Zimmer bullshit, fucking slush. The whole soundtrack is basically Hans Zimmer doing a Sibelius impression - that's his composer rip-off of choice for this one. Zimmer is a total fucking hack.
On the other hand, whoever has done the sound design and mixing deserves Hans Zimmer's pay check, because sound design and mixing in the film are fucking brilliant.

Highlights - Golden Boy McConnaughey is really class, as are the visuals, effects and sound design, and a lot of the ideas behind the story.

Lowlights - Hans Fucking Zimmer, as well as… see below my rating …

Overall this is a step forward in terms of sci-fi cinema, a film that tackles difficult ideas without copping out (mostly) and is coherent and even believable to an extent.
I really would like to hope this might be the spark for a) a new generation of sci-fi film that tries to maintain coherence and style, incorporating a semblance of believability whilst still exploring overarching human concepts and b) the tackling of classic sf novels that already deal with similar subject matter but perhaps haven't been made due to previous technical restrictions in terms of visual content.
I'm not actually holding out on either of those two things happening though.

Rating 8/10

Why 8/10 and not like 9 or 10/10? Well, basically (MASSIVE SPOILER ALERT) -

1. ARRRGGHHH the entire premise of the whole film is based on a paradox. Guy gets sent out to explore space and find a new home for mankind because they discovered a wormhole, which hey, was basically created by him and used as a communicator to send a message through time to himself that would make him go on the mission that would result in him sending a message to himself etc etc etc. Fucking circular paradox bollocks, the bane of loads of sci-fi films!

2. Matt Fucking Damon. It's not even the actor, it's the fucking character. So basically, we're meant to believe that an organisation (NASA) which has been long-regarded as applying some of the most rigorous psychological tests ever devised to its prospective astronauts, yeah this organisation somehow sent a total fucking lunatic on a mission and nobody noticed anything wrong at all? Come fucking on. Another fucking bane of modern sci-fi, the crazy astronaut that can't hack it and tries to kill everyone. Obviously none of these characters have ever watched films about space. Fucking stupid shit.

1 point deduction for each fucking stupid premise.

The Big Heat (1953)
300px-TheBigHeatPoster.jpg

Top notch film noir, Starring Glen Ford with an appearance from a youg Lee Marvin. Surprisingly nasty for the time too. Directed by Fritz Lang.

Interstellar - not generally a fan of Nolan but I really liked this. His best since Memento. Stunning visuals.

Nightcrawler - satisfyingly creepy thriller. There's a whole host of scummy characters in this but Gylenhaal's deranged Lou Bloom is a stand out performance of the year.

INTERSTELLAR

Fucking great film that is pretty much an argument for space exploration, told in a very humanistic manner. Most of the acting is great, most of the ideas in the film are great, this is hard sci-fi and I loved it. Visuals were bloody amazing - I saw this in iMax and it is definitely worthwhile!
The direction of the film is somewhat iffy, merely because the whole experience seems like a tribute to 2001, except that 2001 is still better. There are many parallels in terms of the story line, and the visual and musical constructions often seem to be deliberately reminiscent of 2001 or too deliberately saying "look, it's a space opera wow!"
Music - typical modern Hans Zimmer bullshit, fucking slush. The whole soundtrack is basically Hans Zimmer doing a Sibelius impression - that's his composer rip-off of choice for this one. Zimmer is a total fucking hack.
On the other hand, whoever has done the sound design and mixing deserves Hans Zimmer's pay check, because sound design and mixing in the film are fucking brilliant.

Highlights - Golden Boy McConnaughey is really class, as are the visuals, effects and sound design, and a lot of the ideas behind the story.

Lowlights - Hans Fucking Zimmer, as well as… see below my rating …

Overall this is a step forward in terms of sci-fi cinema, a film that tackles difficult ideas without copping out (mostly) and is coherent and even believable to an extent.
I really would like to hope this might be the spark for a) a new generation of sci-fi film that tries to maintain coherence and style, incorporating a semblance of believability whilst still exploring overarching human concepts and b) the tackling of classic sf novels that already deal with similar subject matter but perhaps haven't been made due to previous technical restrictions in terms of visual content.
I'm not actually holding out on either of those two things happening though.

Rating 8/10

Why 8/10 and not like 9 or 10/10? Well, basically (MASSIVE SPOILER ALERT) -

1. ARRRGGHHH the entire premise of the whole film is based on a paradox. Guy gets sent out to explore space and find a new home for mankind because they discovered a wormhole, which hey, was basically created by him and used as a communicator to send a message through time to himself that would make him go on the mission that would result in him sending a message to himself etc etc etc. Fucking circular paradox bollocks, the bane of loads of sci-fi films!

2. Matt Fucking Damon. It's not even the actor, it's the fucking character. So basically, we're meant to believe that an organisation (NASA) which has been long-regarded as applying some of the most rigorous psychological tests ever devised to its prospective astronauts, yeah this organisation somehow sent a total fucking lunatic on a mission and nobody noticed anything wrong at all? Come fucking on. Another fucking bane of modern sci-fi, the crazy astronaut that can't hack it and tries to kill everyone. Obviously none of these characters have ever watched films about space. Fucking stupid shit.

1 point deduction for each fucking stupid premise.
Errrr, what about that astronaut who drove 1,000 miles in a nappy to murder her love rival?

I watched the TV movie version of On the Beach starring Armand Assante
Another dvd that went straight in the bin

Interstellar.

Not a good film on just about on any level.
I love Christopher Nolan's non-batman films, but this is the movie is the equivalent of a melody Enya sung in the shower that she expanded into a triple album.

There is literally no reason for this film to be 3 hours long, and I couldn't give a balls for the fate of any character in this film, including mankind.

Not to mention the scientifically innaccurate extrapolations, and the logically bankrupt conclusion.

Seriously, if your going to have future 4th dimensional humans try and save present day (more or less) humanity from destruction, give them a better prospect than making an human who's capable of surviving the crushing journey into a singularity more options than having to manipulate the second hand of a watch in order to educucate a daughter you hope understands both Morse code and the true nature of the universe.

Interstellar.

Not a good film on just about on any level.
I love Christopher Nolan's non-batman films, but this is the movie is the equivalent of a melody Enya sung in the shower that she expanded into a triple album.

There is literally no reason for this film to be 3 hours long, and I couldn't give a balls for the fate of any character in this film, including mankind.

Not to mention the scientifically innaccurate extrapolations, and the logically bankrupt conclusion.

Seriously, if your going to have future 4th dimensional humans try and save present day (more or less) humanity from destruction, give them a better prospect than making an human who's capable of surviving the crushing journey into a singularity more options than having to manipulate the second hand of a watch in order to educucate a daughter you hope understands both Morse code and the true nature of the universe.
It all went a bit M. Night Shyamalan at the end didn't it. I really liked the first two thirds though

Nightcrawler - satisfyingly creepy thriller. There's a whole host of scummy characters in this but Gylenhaal's deranged Lou Bloom is a stand out performance of the year.
Saw this last night. Good alright, terrific performance from Gyllenhaal. Also very well shot with some scorching set-pieces. Reminded me a little of Drive, in a good way. LA looks like a grim place.

Also over the weekend, The Big Sleep. Had seen it a couple of time but still a delight
The_Big_Sleep.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back