What movie did you watch last night? (3 Viewers)

Not Quite Hollywood was great...I love Oz exploitation stuff.

I had the pleasure of getting to see Brian Trenchard-Smith's Turkey Shoot back in the early 80's in that cinema that used to be on Eden Quay (the Odeon?). There was like 2 other people there.

Would love to been there for that!

I missed out on the first two Ozploitation box sets. Seem to be outta print now. :(

DIdn't know there were some 'Ozploitation box sets' - what was on them. I seen pretty much all the films mentioned except the sexploitation ones which I hadn't even heard off. Haven't seen Mad Dog Morgan either but have a copy I need to get around with.
Loved the story about Wang Yu and Roger Ward on the set of 'The Man from Hong Kong'.

OZPLOITATION

Volume 1
Adventures of Barry McKenzie
– Wild Colonial Boy Barry McKenzie (Barry Cocker) journeys to the old country accompanied by Aunt Edna Everage (Barry Humphries).
Turkey Shoot - Set in a futuristic, maximum security camp and packed full of gratuitous splatter and lashings of nudity.
The Naked Bunyip - Graeme Blundell hosts, Barry Humphries and Russell Morris guest in this controversial, cult sexumentary from 1970.
Road Games - On a 1600 mile stretch of desert highway someone is playing a deadly game of sex, violence. and sudden death!
Harlequin - This atmospheric chiller in the tradition of Rosemary’s Baby and The Omen.
Night of Fear/Inn of the Dammed - Two of the most controversial Australian horror films of the 70s, both action-packed with sadistic violence and bare flesh!

Volume 2
Stone
- Australia's Easy Rider is a wild combination of biker movie, gore flick, whodunit and action film.
Razorback - The shock thrills of JAWS and the mayhem of MAD MAX.
The True Story of Eskimo Nell - Trek from Alaska to Australia in search of the most infamous "womper" of all time.
Long Weekend - The classic thriller starring John Hargreaves.
Fantasm/Fantasm Comes Again - A bawdy journey through the labryinths of sexual behaviour.
The Chain Reaction - a slick, futuristic action thriller boasting high-octane car chases and spectacular stunts staged by George Miller.

Volume 3
AUSTRALIA AFTER DARK
(1975) 0 At Last! The Australia you've always wanted to see - but until now have never DARED! A kinky collection of 37 unusual and titillating stories.
THE ABC OF LOVE AND SEX (1977) 0 A witty look between the sheets at modern sex and love 1978 style! Not only the ultimate guide to getting it up down under it's the holy grail of true-blue retro skinema.
FELICITY (1978) - Felicity (the gorgeous Glory Annen) is a sheltered teen who surrenders her blossoming body to a world of bold sexual adventure in this homegrown erotic sin-sation from sexy Ozploitation auteur John D. Lamond.
BARRY McKENZIE HOLDS HIS OWN - Excitement brews and Fosters flows as Bazza sets out to rescue the Dame-to-be in distress from the clutches of Erich Count Plasma (Donald Pleasence), the sinister head of the Transylvanian Tourist Commission. Can Bazza pull it off?
MAD DOG MORGAN - Set in gold rush-era Victoria, and based on a true story, this violent, rollicking portrayal of infamous Irish outlaw Dan Morgan (a bravura performance from an intense Dennis Hopper, Easy Rider, Apocalypse Now) is a classic of Australias 70s cinema renaissance.
PATRICK 1978 - In room 15 of the mysterious Roget clinic lies a young comatose murderer. Patrick has burgeoning psychic powers and a crush on Kathy and his affection is about to turn into a deadly and bloody obsession!
LES PATTERSON SAVES THE WORLD - The one-time Australian Minster for the 'Yarts', Sir Leslie Colin Patterson KBE (Barry Humphries), is a lecherous, drunken, chain-smoking slob and vaunted cultural attache. Now, Sir Les has received a promotion, as Australia's ambassador to the United Nations, and is sent to an oil-rich Gulf state to try to make peace after a UN blunder.

Volume 4
ALVIN PURPLE (1973) -
Alvin Purple (Graeme Blundell) is a young, naïve man who is thrust into a series of saucy adventures where women are attracted head over heels and find him sexually irresistible.
ALVIN RIDES AGAIN (1974) - Alvin (Graeme Blundell) continues on with his madcap sexual odyssey - living life to the fullest. But this time around he is faced with a doppelganger who threatens to undermine his solid reputation.
STORK (1971) - Stork is the tale of an awkward, footy mad, beer swilling young man who knows just what he wants but forever struggles to find it. Starring Bruce Spence, Jacki Weaver & Graeme Blundell.
NUMBER 96: THE MOVIE (1973) - Controversy knocks on the door at NUMBER 96, the ground-breaking and wildly popular sex-soap, from its first show in 1972 right up until its final curtain call six ‘sinsational’ years later. Starring Abigail& Elaine Lee.
BMX BANDITS (1983) -
The wheel-spinning adventures of three teenagers get complicated when they discover a box of stolen walkie-talkies left behind by a gang of bank robbers intended for illegal surveillance – this is the all-action '80s Aussie classic that launched Oscar® winner Nicole Kidman to the world!
DARK AGE (1987) - features outback stalwart John Jarratt (Wolf Creek) as Northern Territory wildlife ranger Steve Harris, a stoic survivor charged with conserving the ever diminishing crocodile population from encroaching hunters, hell-bent on destruction of the species.

Just watched Carnival of Souls. Low budget horror from 1962

I really liked it. The sound is a bit dodgy , the ending is predictable and it could probably have done with tighter editing but it's full of great ideas and memorable scenes.

Good

carnival-of-souls4.jpg

King of the Ants. Extremely dark comedy thriller about a drifter who gets mixed up with some mobsters. Written by Charlie Higson from The Fast Show (it's based on his novel) and directed by Stuart Gordon of Re-Animator fame. Nasty, fucked up fun.
king-ants.jpg

Bad Grandpa. Hilarious
MV5BMTg4NjIwMTI5OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNjU1MTMyMDE@._V1_SX640_SY720_.jpg

220px-The_Thin_Red_Line_Poster.jpg

Interesting movie. Seems even longer than it's almost 3 hour running time. Can only imagine what the original 5 hour cut was like. Not my favourite Mallick by any means, some of the voiceover work in particular is either cheesy or distracting, but well worth the watch.

220px-The_Thin_Red_Line_Poster.jpg

Interesting movie. Seems even longer than it's almost 3 hour running time. Can only imagine what the original 5 hour cut was like. Not my favourite Mallick by any means, some of the voiceover work in particular is either cheesy or distracting, but well worth the watch.
Apparently Adrien Brody was cast as the lead in this. He shot all of his scenes, went to the premier expecting to see himself up there big as fuck in his first major starring role and Malik had cut him out almost completely. Poor bastard.

Apparently Adrien Brody was cast as the lead in this. He shot all of his scenes, went to the premier expecting to see himself up there big as fuck in his first major starring role and Malik had cut him out almost completely. Poor bastard.
Yeah I heard that but looking at the book the main characters are more or less the same as the movie. I think Brody may have had, not for the first time, inflated ideas of his own character in the movie.

Besides at least he's in it! Martin Sheen, Gary Oldman, Billy Bob Thornton and more had their entire roles end up on the cutting room floor. The latter contributing three hours of voiceover material, none of it used!

Yeah I heard that but looking at the book the main characters are more or less the same as the movie. I think Brody may have had, not for the first time, inflated ideas of his own character in the movie.

Besides at least he's in it! Martin Sheen, Gary Oldman, Billy Bob Thornton and more had their entire roles end up on the cutting room floor. The latter contributing three hours of voiceover material, none of it used!
None of those guys seemed bothered.

Brody was going around cock of the walk, giving gassy interviews portraying him to be the lead, like he was the first lad in school to get the ride. Looked like a total chump when everyone found out he was only in a supporting role but then went on to win an oscar. Now he's in the new rob Schneider film!

None of those guys seemed bothered.

Brody was going around cock of the walk, giving gassy interviews portraying him to be the lead, like he was the first lad in school to get the ride. Looked like a total chump when everyone found out he was only in a supporting role but then went on to win an oscar. Now he's in the new rob Schneider film!

He was great in the last Wes Anderson.

Went to see Edge Of Tomorrow in that IMAX 3D tonight. It's very IMAXy - extremely loud and extremely explodey. The entire story hinges on a single totes ridic idea, but aside from that I really enjoyed it. It's nice to see action movies with really strong female characters.

In all the early battle scenes they pump hundreds of bullets into the mongsters before they go down, but later on a single shot from a pump action shotgun takes them out? Hmmm.

James Franco's Child of God. I'm surprised by how much I liked this or that I even liked it at all. I'm a little sceptical about Franco and more so about actors directing films but this was a naturalistic and faithful adaptation of a pretty insane book. It's not perfect, it's amateurish in places, but Scott Haze performance is strong and it's a decent effort for a novice director.
child-of-god-poster01.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back