What movie did you watch last night? (10 Viewers)

Just back from this. I really liked it. Great performances, nice ending.

It occurred to me that it could easily be edited to resemble one of those 'nerds triumph over the establishment' 80s movies where the song at the end, probably something like God gave rock and roll to you wins over the crowd and the crusty record producer and they become rich and famous. ...but it isn't ,
so
Good

Loved those last 2 songs - the Lighthouse Keeper one that Maggie G sang and Franks Love one too.
The music was great throughout. The very first song that Jon played live with them (lasting about 30 seconds, before herself threw a fit) sounded deadly!

The Innocents. Pretty great, atmospheric adaptation of Turn of the Screw from 1961 with Deborah Kerr. Made me want to read the Henry James novella again.

Blue Ruin. Wanted to like this more but only thought it was ok. The cinematography and the main guys performance were the best parts. I found the story and execution a bit pedestrian and there were too many bits I found unbelievable. I thought Out of the Furnace was a fat more accomplished revenge thriller set in poor White America.

Frank - Thought it was good but uneven.. There's an interesting core idea in there about the myths built around mental illness in the creative arts, and they do a great job at evoking a Beefheart / Magic Band style personality cult (while also creating some convincing weirdo art-rock music). I didn't think the final third of the film after they go to America was as successful, was probably bit tired of the sullen band member characters by that stage, and whatever points it was trying to make about 'outsider' art and commercial art not mixing, or maybe about the insidiousness of social media, didn't come across as well as the earlier stuff. Solid 7/10 from me anyway.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Perfect Friday.

1970 con/heist/twist vibe with Stanley Baker, David Warner and Ursula Andress.
Entertaining.

Perfect Friday - Trailer (71096)

The Sacrament. Found footage horror from Ti West (House of the Devil) based on the Jonestown mass suicide. This was a letdown. I felt the film would have worked far better as a straight narrative. The found footage format is completely played out at this stage. The real life events were far more fucked up and scary than anything in here so if you're interested id recommend watching the Jonestown documentary instead. On a positive note Gene Jones is terrific in the role of the cult leader.

Has anyone seen Enemy yet? I've made several attempts to watch it but haven't gotten further than 30 minutes in. It looks very stylish but I'm finding it sterile, dull and underplayed by the cast. A friend, who's opinion i rate highly, keeps raving about it but I'm wondering if it's worth investing my time...
Enemy_poster.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back