What movie did you watch last night? (18 Viewers)

Spielberg's Duel. A total classic. Unbelievably tense, edge of seat stuff. They really don't make em like this anymore. Or at least Señor Spielbergo doesn't. He's gotten more worthy and less entertaining. This is the good stuff.

duel.jpg

Spielberg's Duel. A total classic. Unbelievably tense, edge of seat stuff. They really don't make em like this anymore. Or at least Señor Spielbergo doesn't. He's gotten more worthy and less entertaining. This is the good stuff.

duel.jpg

Yeah I wish I could sit him down and force him to entertain everyone again. There's a Falcon chase (yes, falcon chase) in Tintin which is absolutely amazing. Though as a whole i wasn't blown away by the film. Saw war of the worlds recently enough, that had it's moments too, until the ending.

Was Jurrassic Park 2 his last big balls out crowd pleaser (apart from Tintin) ?

Blood Simple. The Coen brothers fiendishly good debut. A nasty slice of neo noir.

Dan Hedaya's character gets a right old rough time in this film. Not only is his wife cheating on him but he also gets his finger broken, kicked in the balls, shot, buried alive and finally has his head caved in with a shovel. M. Emmet Walsh is the balls in this. One of the scummiest characters in cinema

blood_simple.jpg

Re-watched The Long Goodbye [thanks Washing Cattle for awakening it] on Friday night.

That obnoxious doctor. The stoned girlie neighbours. The fussy cat. The John Huston-like Roger Wade. The finale. AWESOME.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Affliction. Paul Schrader's moody, thoughtful adaptation of Russell Bank's excellent novel. Nick Nolte gives one of the best performances of his career as a small town cop who's increasingly obsessive behaviour alienates him from his family and friends. James Coburn is on equally good form as his monstrous, abusive father.
MPW-56680

Affliction. Paul Schrader's moody, thoughtful adaptation of Russell Bank's excellent novel. Nick Nolte gives one of the best performances of his career as a small town cop who's increasingly obsessive behaviour alienates him from his family and friends. James Coburn is on equally good form as his monstrous, abusive father.
MPW-56680
I saw this first on its release in 1997 and watched it again recently. James Coburn and Nolte were spellbinding, both were nominated for the Oscar with Coburn winning for best supporting actor. Schroder made a couple of really decent films and this was definitely one of them.

12060_Sorcerer_1977.jpg
Brilliant remake of Wages of Fear and directed by Willem Friedkin- the movie never made an impact at the box office upon it's release in 1977 but that might have had something to do with it being out the same time as Star Wars! A real gem of a movie, great characters and performances all round and the tension cranked up to the max esp the bridge scene. Scheider's best movie after Jaws imo.

6361_The_Host_Gwoemul_2006.jpg
The Host (Gwoemul) ..not the shyte Stephanie Meyers one that is out now. This is a monster movie from South Korea that puts most Hollywood efforts to shame. Brilliantly entertaining from start to finish.

2736086_The_Imposter_2012.jpg
One of the best documentaries I have seen in a long time. It really is impossible to believe that this is a true story- that is how bizarre it is.

Two re-watches today.

Robert Altman's O.C. and Stiggs. Not to be confused with Hickey and Boggs.
I like it. Most people don't. The Schwabs are utterly unsympathetic. Great Apocalypse Now-add on from Dennis Hopper.

Night Moves.
Arthur Penn's gritty noir 1975-style with Gene Hackman and Melanie Griffith. She also featured in The Drowning Pool during the same year. Great film with Hackman searching for himself while his world goes pear-shaped.

12060_Sorcerer_1977.jpg
Brilliant remake of Wages of Fear and directed by Willem Friedkin- the movie never made an impact at the box office upon it's release in 1977 but that might have had something to do with it being out the same time as Star Wars! A real gem of a movie, great characters and performances all round and the tension cranked up to the max esp the bridge scene. Scheider's best movie after Jaws imo.

There's a hollywood remake of this? The original is one of my dad's favourite films and he would never watch foreign movies. I really like it too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back